CCW for my wife

This is a discussion on CCW for my wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So here is the question guys, I personally cary either my G20 or G29, but my wife wants to get a carry gun for herself. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW for my wife

CCW for my wife

So here is the question guys, I personally cary either my G20 or G29, but my wife wants to get a carry gun for herself. However she has rheumatoid arthritis so she isn't strong enough to operate the slide on either of my glocks, and it is all she can do pull the trigger on a bad day. So I said I would look into something with a lighter trigger pull, and a reasonable amount of force to operate the slide. I need suggestions, a 9MM would be fine for her purposes, but I don't want something really small like a 380 or .32. I also strongly prefer something with out a hammer.
    Help me out guys and gals

2. Remove Ads

In my experience, smaller guns tend to have shorter and heavier springs, making it difficult for some to "rack the slide". Add to that larger calibers, abd the springs only get tougher.

Larger pistols in small calibers seem to be fairly easy to rack. Think full size 1911 in 9MM, you've got a nice platform, and likely a light enough slide/trigger pull to keep her happy.

Or a wheel gun, no slide to rack there.
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

How about a revolver? You can get one with a shrouded or bobed hammer.

If not you might look at a bersa 380 or 9mm. You may not like the 380 but it has a light recoil and may be good for the wife. A 380 she carries and shoots often is better than anything she leaves at home.
    Just make sure she likes the weapon. Or she may not shoot or carry it.

GOOD LUCK AND STAY SAFE
    It's not the bow or the arrow It's the NDN

I just did some work on a 1911 in 9mm. I second that recommendation.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

My wife (Pinklady) had a hard time with racking slide on most semi-autos due to weak hands, carpel tunnel surgery, etc. but she can rack the slide on a Glock. The Glock has one of the easiest slides to rack. If you want 9mm and up and not a Glock, try the Walther PPS. Easy to rack. My wife liked it, she just didn't like the magazine release. Your wife might like it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I had thought of a revolver, like a little J frame or SP101 type. I would love for her to have a glock, but even the 9MM glocks are hard for her to rack.

Just make sure she likes the weapon. Or she may not shoot or carry it.
    this is my main goal, so that I know she has protection when I'm not around. She is ok at the house as she has the 12 gauge sitting there for her and it is easy for her to use. But she seems to have a habbit of getting lost in the worst possible parts of town when she is out and about.
    G20 / G29

Why not a Ruger SP101? No slide to worry about racking. Built like a tank. .357 is a great round and she would have the ability to practice with fairly cheap .38's.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Let HER pick it out. She will be a lot happier. Let her look at several guns and if possible rent what she thinks she wants before she buys it. Remember it's all about what she wants, not what you want her to have. Don't ask me how I learned this. Also don't be surprised if she shoots better than you do.

I was taught anyone can rack a Glock, its got to do with technique. Try holding the top of the action with all four fingers over the top, and the palm of your hand ( not a finger thumb pinch grip) hold gun close to you about chest high , use your other hand , on the grip ; to push your pistol forward , racking the slide . Release ( don't ride the slide down ) . This helped my wife with her 17 , hope it help your wife , no mater what gun she chooses .

What method is she using to rack the slide? Try doing as vaughn said, rather than the 'slingshot' method, which takes a lot more effort.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    My wife (Pinklady) had a hard time with racking slide on most semi-autos due to weak hands, carpel tunnel surgery, etc. but she can rack the slide on a Glock. The Glock has one of the easiest slides to rack. If you want 9mm and up and not a Glock, try the Walther PPS. Easy to rack. My wife liked it, she just didn't like the magazine release. Your wife might like it.
    Same thing with my wife. She was having difficulty with racking a KelTec, but with a little instruction and practice, the Glock-26 was much easier for her.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I recommend the following handguns for your wife:

- Ruger SP101 revolver in .38+P (2.3" barrel)
    - Walther PPS in 9mm
    - Beretta Px4 Storm Sub-Compact in 9mm
    - Glock 26
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by adclose View Post
    So here is the question guys, I personally cary either my G20 or G29, but my wife wants to get a carry gun for herself. However she has rheumatoid arthritis so she isn't strong enough to operate the slide on either of my glocks, and it is all she can do pull the trigger on a bad day. So I said I would look into something with a lighter trigger pull, and a reasonable amount of force to operate the slide. I need suggestions, a 9MM would be fine for her purposes, but I don't want something really small like a 380 or .32. I also strongly prefer something with out a hammer.
    Help me out guys and gals
    Simple answer from me. LCR all the way. Best none trigger job on a stock revolver I've seen and will launch a .38+p round all day long.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

This is RA, guys. Arthritis is more painful than most people realize. A revolver isn't the answer, especially a short barreled one. Small gun, small sights, small grip, heavy trigger pull, and then put arthritis on top of it? Come on...

Take a look at the Beretta Model 86. It is a mid-frame, single stack .380, but has the tip up barrel of the small Beretta autos, so no slide to pull back. It can also be carried single or double action. Plus, you get the reliability of the Beretta pistol itself, and you don't have the recoil and trigger issues that plague the tiny 'pocket' guns. Dont' get wrapped around the axle about caliber, if she can get good hits with it, that's what matters.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

"I am not afraid to go unarmed...I simply detest being unarmed. It is a contemptible and undignified condition in which to find oneself."

NRA Life Member

We've been trying to get Beretta 86s for a couple customers. Totally unavailable lately. The best we can do is 84/85 or Tomcats.

The Tomcat seems to be the go-to gun for the weak handed or disabled shooter. It has a tip up barrel, relatively fat grils to spread recoil, and a mild caliber for those who can't handle more. Having said that, being able to handle more is mostly a matter of technique and training.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links