Help Me Pick

Help Me Pick

This is a discussion on Help Me Pick within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Help me pick -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Howdy all. I currently have a Springfield Loaded model that I carry. I'm wanting to get a second 1911 as a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Pick

Help Me Pick

Help me pick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howdy all.

I currently have a Springfield Loaded model that I carry. I'm wanting to get a second 1911 as a dedicated home defense gun and put a light on it. I'm torn between the railed Colts and the Springfield MC Operator.

I've had five or six Springfields over the years, and never had a problem with any of them. I've never owned a Colt 1911, and I'm not drawn to the pony mystique. Sorry if that offends, but that's my feeling on the matter.

Some considerations for me are, I like to not have to send my guns to a 'smith and like them to work out of the box with at least two or three different brands of hollowpoint ammunition. The most I do is change the sights and maybe put a G.I. Guide Rod in if it has something other than that. I require an ambi safety. If the gun isn't checkered, stippled, or some such then I am not shy about putting Skateboard Tape where it needs to go to serve my purposes.

Between the two choices, which would you select, and why? The home defense gun will serve as a back-up to my carry gun, as well as do home protection dities. I leave the triggers alone, and like a 5#-6# trigger on a carry weapon. I passed on a Springfield TRP because I didn't feel that it would give me what I required, for the difference in price. The only Kimber I would consider is a Warrior, and it's not even in the running right now.

Basicly I know what I would be getting with the MC Operator, and being that the price is close, I'm wondering if I should go with a stainless pony. Remember, except for sights, grips, and guide rod, as well as application of Skateboard tape, it will stay stock.

Thank you for your help. I look forward to the various replies I hope this thread generates.

Biker

Just to throw my two cents into the ring on this, I'd stick with the Springfield if I was you, because you have experience with them and know what you are getting. Each time I need to scratch the 1911 itch, I seem to consider a bunch of options from several makers, and then come back to Springers. I really haven't found a non-custom 1911 that seems their equal in terms of price for what you get. Plus just in case you do run into issues, Springfield has pretty good customer support. Of course, I would like a pony someday, and that was the serious competition when I got my most recent 1911, but the Springfield just seemed like a better deal. Of course, this is just my opinion, and YMMV.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I agree.. Springfield is typically a quality product in the 1911 game. You already have them and know what they are all about. Stick with them.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    I'd go with the Springfield too. If you are not into the mystic pony, then what are you paying for? Sure, Colt does build a nice 1911, but lets face it; the price difference is because of the collector value.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I should add that I can get the Colt for dealer cost, and the Springfield at L.E.O. pricing. That makes the Springfield significantly cheaper than the "normal" price. To be honest, I'm leaning towards the Colt. I've always loved their revolvers, and use their M4 at work and at home.

Biker

Springfield. Not only do they make a very high quality 1911 they have some of the best customer service in the industry.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

If you're leaning toward the Colt, then go for it.

If, perchance, you don't like it then you can probably sell it to someone who does buy into the 'pony mystique'.

That said, I'm kinda partial to Springfield myself, although I've never had either...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

kpw
    I haven't owned one from either in a while but, between the two, I like Colts. I know, it's the dang pony!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

BikerRN.

In the 70s I bought a MKIV model 70 Colt. I put a flat spring housing on the pistol with care stored the grips and bought pachmayr signature wrap grips. Although at the time I did not know what I had, I do now! It still shoots like a dream. My son has the pistol and added a new recoil spring recently. When we shoot I compare the feel to my BHP and they both seem to belong in my hand. Great pistols. Aaron my son watches me closely so I don't take it back. Good hunting! I know the 70 series is out dated but they never give up. Let me add they don't have an ambidextrous safety. So to improve sights and the ambidextrous safety plus the other enhancements on more modern 1911 pistols might require a gunsmith.

-- Richard
    Last edited by RKirk; October 29th, 2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: More info
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

I have a Springfield, and if wanted another 1911, I'd buy another Springfield. However, your mention of skate board tape makes me wonder if you shouldn't really get a Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss9 View Post
    I have a Springfield, and if wanted another 1911, I'd buy another Springfield. However, your mention of skate board tape makes me wonder if you shouldn't really get a Glock.
    I've had five or six Springfields over the years. They've all been good, but I'm desiring a bit of a change. As for the Glock comment, I'll refrain from saying anything that might offend you.

I will just say that some of us, who do use our guns, find that Skateboard Tape is an economical solution to a gun that can be hard to hold on to when your hands are wet, slick with blood or sweat, and are faced with possibly having to more than shoot at cardboard targets that don't shoot back.

Right now I carry a P35 when I'm not at work. I'm looking to add another 1911 to the selection as a home defense handgun, hence the rail. As some of you may be aware, I don't like lights on my guns, but can see a limited application for such in limited circumstances. I'll still have the M4 and the shotgun as well. It's good to have options. Who says an old dog can't learn a new trick or two?

Biker

VIP Member
    I dunno... I think everyone ought to have at least one Colt!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I'd buy the American Made Colt, although I'd add a beavertail. I'm prone to hammer bite!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    Springfield. I have been shopping for a 1911 and purchased a Springfield loaded special edition made to the local distributor's specs with a single sided safety. I looked at the Colts and admired the guns, but heard much from dealers about the sporadic availability of the product. I then looked a bit deeper and, based on my research, it appears that Colt is in poor financial condition while Springfield appears to be healthy. The Colt may be a great gun, but if Colt goes out of business, the warranty is kaput. I realize you could use the frame and buy aftermarket parts and make it pretty much what you want to make it, but that takes $$$. These are the reasons I went with the Springfield.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

You already know what you want. Get it.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links