Revolver

This is a discussion on Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I started out carrying a S&W 642 in .38spl +P. I keep it loaded with Remington 125gr. +P Golden Sabers, it's got a respectable recoil ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Revolver

I started out carrying a S&W 642 in .38spl +P. I keep it loaded with Remington 125gr. +P Golden Sabers, it's got a respectable recoil with the +P loads but I like it. Speer developed their 135gr. Gold Dot specifically for snubbies so that might also be a consideration.

The next load I intend to try is 158gr. +P LSWCHP. I prefer the big, heavy bullets as a rule and this is a load preferred by Stephen Camp - that's a pretty good recommendation in my book.

If I were going to get a pocket sized .357 it'd be either a S&W 60, 649 or Ruger SP-101. For .357mag I like the steel frame guns that help absorb recoil.
    Jack

2. Remove Ads

I have a taurus 85 SS ultra-lite and a Ruger SP101 which I love.
    Smiths' 642 would be a top contender if I add to the duo.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    In my unbiased opinion, you cannot go wrong with a chief's special, especially an older one. My model 36 was made in the early 1970s. I use 110 gr winchester silvertips standard pressure ammo. I can put all five shots on the target at 7 yards in less than 2 seconds, and I am not a particularly good shot by any means. The trigger is very good- a bit heavy but very smooth and no grit or creep. I have smallish hands so the little wooden grips are okay- not great, but usable. The gun weighs about 20 oz, and is all blued steel.
    You really need to pick what you are comfortable with, of course, but you do not need a high tech solution.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Check out the Taurus, as well as the the Rossi line. I have a nice little 2" .357mag, I shoot it with the .357mag a bit when I take it out ,but I do run .38spcl mostly when I'm just plinking.

S&W Model 342PD seems to be a pretty good five shot revolver. I still want to shoot one to get a better idea of just how much I like it. With that said, I've heard good things about the revolver for CCW.
    Beretta 92FS

If you're going to be looking at heavier revolvers like the SP-101, you may as well also add the Taurus 650, 651, 850, and 851 onto your list.

If I were interested in pocket carry, I'd probably go with one of the Airweights. A steel revolver might be a lot of weight and sagging in a pocket.

The Speer Gold Dot "Short Barrel" 135gr +P wouldn't be a bad choice in carry ammo.

If your gonna carry a revolver here is a suggestion. I carry a 3" Ruger SP-101 in a Tucker Leather Heritage IWB Holster. This is an extremely comfortable and a fine gun to shoot. Mine really likes the 145gr. Winchester Silvertips for accuracy. I also have the same gun with a 2" barrel that I can carry in an Uncle Mikes Pocket Holster.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

My vote goes to the ruger sp101

Yep, Ruger SP 101 also, but I have the Hogue grips on it, and 158 grain .357's are fine shooting rounds. With an IWB holster, it is easy to forget it is there. Unless you need it.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    i'd go 642 with 158gr +p....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

And just to complicate things, take a look at Charter Arms' new Bulldog snubby in .44spl. Nothing like large bore to get your blood flowing.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by tex45acp
    If your gonna carry a revolver here is a suggestion. I carry a 3" Ruger SP-101 in a Tucker Leather Heritage IWB Holster. This is an extremely comfortable and a fine gun to shoot. Mine really likes the 145gr. Winchester Silvertips for accuracy.[/IMG]

Yep, my, er, well, my wife's 3" SP is also dead accurate with the Silvertips.

You can't go wrong with S&W or Taurus.
    XD9 Service
    Bersa 380 Thunder
    Taurus 605
    ...a few others

Texas XD Practical Shooters Association

The S&W Airweight snubbies are superb little guns for concealed carry. I have a 642 that is loaded with the Speer GD Short Barrel ammo as is my wifes 637. Both are accurate, concealable and a pleasure to carry, either IWB or pocket. There are many good holsters out there for either type of carry. Stephen Camp did a great piece on ammunition for the short barreled revolvers on this site. You might want to look that up. His information is always top notch.
    Safe Shooting and God Bless.
    USAF Retired

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    My wife is a nurse and carries a S&W 642. She's small and it hides really well in her uniform. It is a great little pistol.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links