Opinion on Bersa...

This is a discussion on Opinion on Bersa... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any opinion on the Bersa 9 Ultra Compact Pro? I'm considering buying one rather than a Kel-Tec PF-9....

Thread: Opinion on Bersa...

Opinion on Bersa...

Does anyone have any opinion on the Bersa 9 Ultra Compact Pro? I'm considering buying one rather than a Kel-Tec PF-9.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

2. Remove Ads

Just bought the bi-tone and put 250 rounds thru it. So far it was flawless. The gunshop I bought it from said the gunsmith never sees them again. Very reliable. It will be my summer carry, I have all winter to break it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    Just bought the bi-tone and put 250 rounds thru it. So far it was flawless. The gunshop I bought it from said the gunsmith never sees them again. Very reliable. It will be my summer carry, I have all winter to break it in.
    About how much did it cost, if you don't mind my askin'?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I thought I paid a good price. I considered XD's, SR9c and M&P. It was $375.00 + tax. That was from a local gunshop. Not that easy to find around here.

The Bersa 9mm UC Pro is an excellent gun. I bought one and never had a FTF or FTE. Accuracy was excellent and the gun concealed very well. I think for the price, it is hard to beat. However, they are often hard to find. If you do find one, I would grab it.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

I think that the Bersa Thunder .380 is usually underrated, they seem to be getting more popular, so that may change. I paid like $270 for my bi-tone model a year or so ago, I've seen them as cheap as about $230 in Ohio. It's a little big and heave for pocket carry, but with a good IWB holster pretty much disappears with normal clothing. Its real role in my collection is as a back-up to my S&W 638, if that one ever breaks the Bersa would be my BUG or "I'm feeling lazy today" carry piece.

The fit and finish isn't always the greatest on them, but its not awful. For its intended role it will do the job reliably, and they are fairly accurate at distances they would be used at.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

It will be a good companion

I bought a used Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact (older model, before the PRO) from a forum member here and it is AWESOME!!!! I absolutely love that firearm. I would recommend the stainless slide as the black slide finish isn't great. Not a big deal for me as the gun is a carrier, shooter, and a workhorse. The most under-rated gun in my opinion. I like the ergonomics (really fits my thick mits), the standard grip pinky extension, the weight (recoil absorbing), balance, and shootability. It is 13+1 capacity in a compact size and has an alloy metal frame rather than tupperware. It has thick steel controls and inner workings. It is built like a tank, shoots like a large gun, and carries like a small one. It isn't light by most sub compact semi standards, but worth the trade-off in quality and durability. Reliable should be it's middle name. Get the rear dovetail sight honed in (if it isn't already) and you can shoot the center out of the target quickly with no problem. I was shocked at my ability with this weapon. It has glock style U rear sight (which I don't like compared to a 3 dot). It seems smaller than the size because of the rounded slide top and tapered front dust cover frame. It is a hammered DA/SA with de-cocker, which means you can chamber, de-cock, and still be able to fire. The DA trigger reach is a little far, but smooth and not heavy pull. The SA pull is very short, light, and crisp with the shortest re-set you can imagine (which explains the ease of accuracy on quick succession shots). Feeds and ejects with monotonous regularity regardless of ammo. Not ammo sensitive or prone to limp wristing issues. I bought mine used and the previous owner put countless trouble free rounds through it and I've put close to 1,000 through it myself with no issues at all. Also, the Bersa website has a list of parts with pics readily available and I was very surprised at the relative low cost.

They're not fancy, popular, or any of that stuff...but they are everything you want, need, or expect from a handgun and then some. The only downside I have encountered is there aren't a lot of aftermarket parts available for them (such as night sights), but I've seen on the bersa forum that there is a Sig model rear sight that has the same dovetail. Glock 26 holsters seem to fit it fine.

I am so impressed with my 9, I'm going to be looking into their .40s and .45s as well. It's a lot of great gun for a great price. No shortcuts in the quality and reliability department. Much smaller than my XDsc.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have an Ultra Compact Pro in 40. Great gun, very good trigger, good shooter and carries well. Of course I can make holsters for it.

Buy with confidence.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

For a number of reasons, I eventually decided on the Ruger SR9c. But if the blasted things had been available at the time, the Bersa 9mm UC would have been my choice. I've never read or heard a negative report about them. They are universally considered to be tack drivers.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Just wanted to echo the good sentiments others have expressed regarding the Bersa. I have both the UC 9 and the UC 45 and they are both great and amazingly accurate weapons. You're quite right that they're hard to find -- there are gun shows fairly frequently here in Houston (sometimes 2 a month) and I'll normally see only one or two per gun show. Prices tend to be good -- $320 to $350 -- but they'll getcha on the back end when you look for extra magazines (pretty pricey).

Check out the Bersa website and also the Bersatalk forum. You'll get a good idea of the company and the products from both. I got lucky, I bought mine used and it came with 4 magazines. If you happen not to like the pinky extensions, the mag cap from the larger 9mm also fits these mags. I usually don't like pinky extensions, but I've come to like them on this weapon just fine.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links