Which do you think conceals better?

This is a discussion on Which do you think conceals better? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm talking IWB. Semi auto's or revolvers? The revolver profile seems to me more organic as opposed to the straight lines of most semi's. Would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Which do you think conceals better?

Which do you think conceals better?

I'm talking IWB. Semi auto's or revolvers? The revolver profile seems to me more organic as opposed to the straight lines of most semi's. Would this aid in concealment? I know that the cylinder of a revolver is about as wide and a double stack semi but that's only at one point of the gun. The handle and barrel are generally thinner. Whats your opinion?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

With the right attire, there shouldn't be much difference.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

RKM
    The holster may make all the difference, but when I think about it, it's like putting a 1" think stick in your waist band, a 1" diameter ball (representing the cylinder) in your waist band. the 1" ball is going to cause more pressure at one specific spot, where as the stick would spread it out. That's how I think about it. Though I've never carried, or even owned a revolver, I think a good holster would probably make a non-issue.

What is an "organic" profile?

los
    Comparing Apples to Apples, a thin Auto will conceal just as good as a J-Frame Revolver. Holsters and Attire selection will dictate how well a [any] weapon can be concealed.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    What is an "organic" profile?
    Curved lines as opposed to straight ones. The profile or a revolver is more rounded and natural (organic) because of the curved lines.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I tend to agree with you, Rollo. Truly one's attire can make or break anything, but I lean towards the fact that most printing is made by the square, blocky lines of a semi-auto. It seems like the curves of a revolver can kinda blend in with the natural curves and wrinkles that happen with most clothing.

The handles of a revolver are generally curved, also, which diminishes the print there as well. It seems that the hardest part to conceal is the handle, and I think that a curved wheelgun handle reduces that.
    Richard58 likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I 100% agree that the smallish 1.47" or so cylinder doesn't compare to a whole brick size 1.20" of my XDSC for example. But even my trusty j-frames don't hold a candle to a micro subcompact single stack 9mm. I just don't trust those micro subcompacts just yet.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Depends on specific gun

I have a Kahr MK9 semiauto and a S&W 642 revolver, which are similar size guns (see photo). I have carried them IWB in the same model of holster, a Comp-Tac 2 O'clock holster. The guns feel very similar to me in terms of the effect on my waistband. Although the Kahr is only about 0.90 inches through the slide and the revolver is about 1.2 inches in cylinder diameter, the revolver tends to make up for this by being thinner than the Kahr in the frame thickness near the cylinder. So the "extra amount of waistband" required to cover each is similar. The grip area on each is above the beltline, so it doesn't seem to affect the comparison at the waistband.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I'm talking IWB. Semi auto's or revolvers? The revolver profile seems to me more organic as opposed to the straight lines of most semi's. Would this aid in concealment? I know that the cylinder of a revolver is about as wide and a double stack semi but that's only at one point of the gun. The handle and barrel are generally thinner. Whats your opinion?
    Concealment is a word to define for each and every one of us. For me, the semi-auto has always been the lowest profile and the most adept for me to carry concealed. That's where I come from, and in truth, there is no right answer to the question. It's what you make of what you have and what works best for you. That's all that really matters.

Concealability of a particular type of firearm is an interesting topic and different to each person. I personally do not like the micro 9mm, do to several reasons. The j frame and in particular, the airweight models fill a niche that I have not been able to fill with anything else. They have qualities about them that lend themselves to so many different modes of carry that nothing else matches. I have carried a model 66 with 4 inch tube around all day, today' in a pancake style holster, which holds it snug, and high against the body. For me nothing is as concealable or as comfortable in a OWB style carry.

I don't see much of a difference with either one. You just have to 'dress for the weather, or the occasion', so to speak.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm getting to the point where either one, either compact or full size, are not a problem, but I still find revolvers easier IWB. I found a clip nylon holster that my belt rides just above the cylinder on the thinnest part of the weapon and the grip rides just above the belt. With pleated front pants (I typically wear khackis or dockers and neither one real tight), you'll never know it's there regardless of the shirt.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Thanks for the definition, Rollo.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    S&W4421.jpg

J frame size revolver with Barami clip grip (I add the Tyler T grip adapter to fill out the grip and a piece of bicycle tube for grippiness) is one of the easiest to conceal IWB packages made.

The grip is the "holster" and it rides deep.
    Richard58 likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links