Reliability S&W M&P vs. Glock

This is a discussion on Reliability S&W M&P vs. Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am strongly considering buying a S&W M&P 40 but how are they on reliability vs a Glock, plus any other issues I may run ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reliability S&W M&P vs. Glock

Reliability S&W M&P vs. Glock

I am strongly considering buying a S&W M&P 40 but how are they on reliability vs a Glock, plus any other issues I may run into with the M&P 40.

2. Remove Ads

I can't knock the M&P, but I'll always be a Glock Guy, and I prefer any caliber that starts with a "4" and ends with a "5". OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have the sw mp compact in 40, no issues at all.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

From what I have read, they are lauded as a fine firearm. Personally, I chose a Glock as they have a much longer track record for reliability.

I love M&Ps! They shoot great, and in some areas, pick up where the Glock leaves a little to be desired. I would have bought one instead of a G23... but they just don't make one in a similar size!

I don't like sub compacts, and the M&P .40 is considerably larger in comparison to the G23. I wish that Smith&Wesson would adopt the 3 size standards that Glock and XD go by.
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

Talking reliability ? Glock, The M&Pc 40 seems a bit smoother better trigger on the Glock, M&P's grips are more comfortable than the glock and less muzzle flip than my G27 with the same ammo, the glocks are hard to beat on reliability. If your thinking about an M&P go with their Pro Series they have a better trigger, fiber optic sights. Don't think the PS comes on the Compact yet ? Shoot them both before you buy, good luck
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

I have had no issues with my M&P45c. I think Glock has the better track record but that's because they have been around longer then the M&P series.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The M&P series is VERY reliable. I have the 40 compact. No issues at all and customer service is great !!!! I rented a Sig, Glock & HK before I settled on M&P. HK felt just as good to me and I REALLY liked it but I didn't want to hear my wife complain about how much I spent. I have no regrets about the M&P.

VIP Member
    M&P plain and simple are Glock like in reliabilty. I have never had an issue with either model. I love them both. I choose M&P more these days.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have both and have no issues with reliability from either one.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

This is really a question with no answer. Glock has been around since the mid 80's and the M&P is new, relatively speaking. Both have proven reliable in the hands of Law Enforcement as well as citizens who use them for recreation or protection. I would feel comfortable with either. That said, I do find myself to lean toward a Glock when it comes to choosing a gun for myself. I started with them and stuck with them.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

While I have never heard of an issue with it, I am a bit leery of the hinged M&P trigger...just seems like an unnecessary potential failure point to me.

And unless I am mistaken, the M&P mags are steel, while the Glock's are steel inserts inside a polymer body. Many folks ignore the mags, but bad mags are a major factor in pistol malfunctions. With the Glock mag design, the steel reinforces the polymer, while the polymer cushions the steel if the mag is dropped. There is also no possibility of an out-of-spec mag follower impacting the mag catch and unseating the mag with the Glock design.

Finally, if you are looking at the subcompacts, the Glock 27 is smaller/lighter than the comparable M&P, IIRC.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    While I have never heard of an issue with it, I am a bit leery of the hinged M&P trigger...just seems like an unnecessary potential failure point to me.

And unless I am mistaken, the M&P mags are steel, while the Glock's are steel inserts inside a polymer body. Many folks ignore the mags, but bad mags are a major factor in pistol malfunctions. With the Glock mag design, the steel reinforces the polymer, while the polymer cushions the steel if the mag is dropped. There is also no possibility of an out-of-spec mag follower impacting the mag catch and unseating the mag with the Glock design.

Finally, if you are looking at the subcompacts, the Glock 27 is smaller/lighter than the comparable M&P, IIRC.
    Oh great now we are going to get into a Glock .vs M&P ******* match.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Both are excellent guns. However, there are a few features i like on the m&p more. The front slide serrations are nice to have along with the ambi slide release. Both guns have ambi mag release (gen4 glocks). Both guns carry very nicely although the glock gets a little scratchy if you dont wear an under shirt... so i just started always wearing a "wife beater" under my tees. I do prefer the sights on my glock, but i am going to get some trijicons on my m&p soon. I also like the accessory rail on my m&p better as it seems the glock's is designed for glock accessories. I have an insight x2l sub compact that i keep on my m&p and it fits perfectly, on the glock its too far forward. I know this will probably be different for other light brands, but its what ive got.

As long as you take care of it I think you're going to find the reliability to be equal, or at least close enough that your better choice is going to be the one you're more accurate with. I went Glock 27 over M&P 40C for the sole reason that the Glock fit my hand better (I prefer other minor things about the Glock but hey were non-bearing on my decision), I honestly believe that you're going right with either, and someday I really wouldn't mind owning both.

Glock Certified Armorer

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links