Glock 19 and Meprolights

This is a discussion on Glock 19 and Meprolights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am rather perplexed concerning our Glock 19's accuracy. First we took it out one time when we first got it. I thought it did ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 and Meprolights

Glock 19 and Meprolights

I am rather perplexed concerning our Glock 19's accuracy.

First we took it out one time when we first got it. I thought it did alright, and so does Pinklady. I don't remember exactly how it grouped, or how well it shot to point of aim, but I don't think it was 5 inches to the left.

Got some meprolight night sights and had them put on. The guy who put them on said if they were off, stop by, he'd let me borrow his alignment tool. Went shooting, 5 inches or so to the left and low. Went back to see him and borrow his alignment tool. He said that with meprolights you have to cover the target with the front sight. They have a tenancy to shoot low. (?) ok, I borrowed his tool, pushed the rear sight (all the way to the right) and started aiming high.
    I got to thinking, I'm adjusting for my lousy shooting. (After I had taken his tool back to him). So I stopped by one day and had him push them back centered.

We went shooting today with the new G26 and the 19. Shot about 200 rounds today. The G19 4 or 5 inches left. G26 pretty accurate (better than my aim that is). But I proved to myself, it's not my shooting as much as it is the G19.
    I can hit target better with the G26. The G19 is shooting 4 or 5 inches to the left, and a little low I think.

Pinklady's shooting also confirms this.

Should I put the stock sights back on it? Try some Trijicons, or XS Big Dots?

I'm really convinced it's the meprolights.

Thoughts?
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

You could have gotten a set of sights that weren't milled correctly. You should contact Meprolight and see what they say.

Did you sight in and shoot the G19 with the stock sights? Kind of looking for a comparison here (before and after Meps). Shooting off to the left I could see, but shooting low has me wondering. Drifting the rear sight won't cure the elevation problem....only the windage. As of now, we'll focus on the sights as the issue even knowing you're a bit new to the Glock. Make sure you got the correct sights for the pistol. And yes...if you can re-install the factory sights and do the range time to make sure.

I'm aware that drifting the rear sight only corrects windage, not elevation. I was just curious about his statement that with meprolights you have to cover the target. (true or false ?).

Concerning the windage, When we got the 19 and took it to the range for the first time, it appeared to be shooting pretty much to point of aim. We don't have a way to bench it, nor to sight it in (make adjustments directly to the gun). The big problems started when the meprolights were installed.

She is, but I'm not completely new to Glocks. I've had 2 or 3 other Glock 19's (back about 8 years ago), also G26, G22, G23, G27 all previously.
    As others, I've made the mistake of getting rid of guns that I wish I still had, but lesson's learned right?

Starting over, here I am and I really like the G19. Shoots softer than the G26, but the 26 is more accurate (at this point). Shooting same ammo, both guns, 26 puts them where you aim. G19 does not.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

The replacement Meprolight sights should still come close to factory specs. If your G19 hit to point of aim with the factory sights, there should not be much change with the Meps. Granted, there is a difference in sighting without the white bracket and front dot OEM sights and three dots for night sights. I've always focused on the front sight actually for close range work. Proper sight alignment for 25yds+. For my wife's G26, we went with a Glock OEM night sight for the front, and left the factory rear intact. I personally think this is a good combo, and never tried it until we got her the G26. In all my years of shooting the Glocks, and swapping out to night sights (Trijicon or Meps), I've never experienced much of a change in sight picture nor POA. In daylight shooting at the range, or at a match, I use the silhouette method with the sights. If you are aligning the dots, you may be shooting low at closer ranges (to 10yds). I always cover my target with the front sight at closer ranges as compared to sighting the target on top of the front sight post or a 6 o'clock hold. Just be sure you have a 6.5mm rear sight and the Meps are for the G19. No worries, we'll figure it out soon. Hopefully before you spend too much in ammo not hitting where you should.
    BTW......what sights does the G26 have on it since IT IS shooting to POA?

G26 has factory sights on it.

That's the way I feel. Changing the factory sights out and putting meps on it, should not have changed anything.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I am rather perplexed concerning our Glock 19's accuracy.

First we took it out one time when we first got it. I thought it did alright, and so does Pinklady. I don't remember exactly how it grouped, or how well it shot to point of aim, but I don't think it was 5 inches to the left.

Got some meprolight night sights and had them put on. The guy who put them on said if they were off, stop by, he'd let me borrow his alignment tool. Went shooting, 5 inches or so to the left and low. Went back to see him and borrow his alignment tool. He said that with meprolights you have to cover the target with the front sight. They have a tenancy to shoot low. (?) ok, I borrowed his tool, pushed the rear sight (all the way to the right) and started aiming high.
    I got to thinking, I'm adjusting for my lousy shooting. (After I had taken his tool back to him). So I stopped by one day and had him push them back centered.

We went shooting today with the new G26 and the 19. Shot about 200 rounds today. The G19 4 or 5 inches left. G26 pretty accurate (better than my aim that is). But I proved to myself, it's not my shooting as much as it is the G19.
    I can hit target better with the G26. The G19 is shooting 4 or 5 inches to the left, and a little low I think.

Pinklady's shooting also confirms this.

Should I put the stock sights back on it? Try some Trijicons, or XS Big Dots?

I'm really convinced it's the meprolights.

Thoughts?
    No disrespect, but you may shoot better with new lessons instead of sights.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Well you're welcome to come to Virginia and try it out for yourself.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Well you're welcome to come to Virginia and try it out for yourself.
    HaHa..... Well if I were closer I would, and the first thing I would check is to see if you are not jerking or slapping the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    HaHa..... Well if I were closer I would, and the first thing I would check is to see if you are not jerking or slapping the trigger.
    I'm not jerking or slapping the trigger. I do fine with the G26, the PM9, CW9, XD40sc (which I don't have anymore), why would I have a problem with the G19?
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    I'm not jerking or slapping the trigger. I do fine with the G26, the PM9, CW9, XD40sc (which I don't have anymore), why would I have a problem with the G19?
    Sometimes it has nothing to do with what gun you are shooting. It can even be a bit of a mental block with that gun. Now it may be that the sights are off, but I had a dollar for every time I was at the range and someone asked another person to check their sights I would be a rich man. haha

G26 has factory sights on it.

That's the way I feel. Changing the factory sights out and putting meps on it, should not have changed anything.
    Well, I think we're already narrowing things down. Thing you must realize is that transitioning from the compact to the sub-compact Glock.........your hand and your hold make a difference as well. Sight radius (length of slide and distance between front and rear sights) make a difference as well. While I do okay with the compact models at closer ranges in competition, I depend more on my full size G17. I'm far from being an expert shot, just that I can hit more quickly with my G17 than the G19 and not have to think about things nor adjust my sight picture.
    I think we've come to the realization that Glocks aren't totally new to you, so we can rule out some of the replies that insist on shooter capabilities. Anyone who can shoot straight with the Glock sub-compact models is more than capable of hitting well with the larger frames. Of course, the grip is a bit different as opposed to the compact vs. full size grip. I'd never say the issue lies with you, but I wouldn't exactly rule it out either. I hope you won't take this in the wrong way.

Cool

Anytime front and rear sights are replaced with sights other than original factory sights they need to be sighted in. Novak Sights will not guarantee alighnment unless the entire gun is sent to them and they test fire it. If they say the gun needs to be sighted in then you know that is the way to do it. The front sight could be off enough to keep the rear sight from being able to compensate for windage.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Well, I think we're already narrowing things down. Thing you must realize is that transitioning from the compact to the sub-compact Glock.........your hand and your hold make a difference as well. Sight radius (length of slide and distance between front and rear sights) make a difference as well. While I do okay with the compact models at closer ranges in competition, I depend more on my full size G17. I'm far from being an expert shot, just that I can hit more quickly with my G17 than the G19 and not have to think about things nor adjust my sight picture.
    I think we've come to the realization that Glocks aren't totally new to you, so we can rule out some of the replies that insist on shooter capabilities. Anyone who can shoot straight with the Glock sub-compact models is more than capable of hitting well with the larger frames. Of course, the grip is a bit different as opposed to the compact vs. full size grip. I'd never say the issue lies with you, but I wouldn't exactly rule it out either. I hope you won't take this in the wrong way.
    Thanks RamRod. Not taken wrong at all. The wife and I both shoot the G26 (more accurately) than the 19. That's why we don't understand it. The 19 is more comfortable for the obvious reason (more grip) and less felt recoil. The 26 with standard sights is more accurate. I'm no expert shot myself, never claimed to be, and never will, but something is not right about the 19. If I had the tools myself to change them out, I'd pull the meps off, put the factory sights back on it, and take it to the range and prove it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Anytime front and rear sights are replaced with sights other than original factory sights they need to be sighted in. Novak Sights will not guarantee alighnment unless the entire gun is sent to them and they test fire it. If they say the gun needs to be sighted in then you know that is the way to do it. The front sight could be off enough to keep the rear sight from being able to compensate for windage.
    I wasn't aware that the front sight could be off since it is inserted with a screw (per say). I didn't notice, but maybe there is more room in the hole than the sight post takes up. The guy that installed the sights did use locktite so it wouldn't loosen up. But maybe it's not centered? Or is it a snug fit and has no room to move?
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links