Got a free shooting lesson today

This is a discussion on Got a free shooting lesson today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I took my M&P45c out again today for some more range time. It just reinforced my love of this gun. The trigger has started ...

Thread: Got a free shooting lesson today

So I took my M&P45c out again today for some more range time. It just reinforced my love of this gun. The trigger has started to smooth out a bit but more then that the gun just feels great in my hands and points extremely naturally. I feel more confident with it then any other gun I have carried. I felt accurate with it but not as much as I would have liked. I figured this would come with more trigger time on it. I've never been what I would call a crack shot but I'm not a slouch either. I feel that I have shot as well as most shooter and good enough to get the job done should I need to get it done.

I was getting ready to start on my second 100 rounds when a gentleman that looked to me about 50 or so strolled down and said "Excuse me sir, I noticed you have a M&P45c there. I have been considering buying one but would like to shoot it first. Any chance I could run a few rounds through yours?" I was a bit caught off guard as it's rare for someone older then me (I'm 31) to refer to me as sir. I said "By all means" and handed it over to him. He had a 50 count box of ammo with him.

At 15 yards I was pretty consistently keeping everything in the 9 ring with a tendency to pull high right. He loaded up a mag, ran a target out to 15 yards and proceed to dump 8 rounds in the 10 ring of a standard silhouette in about 5 seconds. He says "Not to bad. I say "Yeah, you could say that..." He loads up another mag and dumps 8 in the X ring. Only difference this time was he slowed down to about a round a second. He comments that it's a pretty sweet little shooter and I reply that I figure just about any gun he picks up is probably a pretty sweet shooter. I was amazed and to be honestly slightly annoyed that this guy picked up my pistol that I've got about 800 rounds through at this point and shot it like he owned it for 10 years.

He tells me that while there are guns that he can't shoot well that it comes down to technique and he noticed one major flaw with mine of which he would be happy to help me correct. Being that this guy just totally showed me up with my own gun and appears to have a pretty darn good idea what he's doing I was more then happy to get some advice from him.

Basically he said that my eye is good and my stance is good but my trigger control was horrible. The way he put it was "Your not shooting the gun. Your pointing the gun at the target and pulling the trigger until it fires. Find the reset of what ever gun your shooting and then shoot the gun. Don't ease the trigger back until it goes off. Your trigger pull should be one swift, controlled, conscience effort.Pull it like you mean it".

After showing me exactly what he meant by dry firing a empty gun I loaded up and mag and put 8 more rounds down range this time concentrating on pulling the trigger "like I meant it" and BANG! 8 rounds in the 10 ring. Out of 3 more mags I only had 3 rounds drifted in to the 9 ring. Everything else was 10 ring. I ran 100 rounds through my Glock 26 with the same results.

After thanking the guy profusely for his help I asked him how he got to be such a good shot. He said that he was a retired Marine corp pistol instructor. I should have guessed as he was wearing a Beretta 92 and shot that thing like it was part of his arm. All in all it was a great day at the range and I improved my accuracy by about 30 percent just by getting a simple piece of advice!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Good for you. Unplanned interactions combined with gentlemanly decorum can result in unexpected benefits.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Good for you! I've had plenty of good experiences at the range (public and private). Learn some, teach some. We don't know everything. I've generally given more than I've taken at the range, but it's the interaction with folks that makes it all so important. The internet (and this forum) have so much information available. Personal interaction takes things to a whole different level and turns an average day at the range punching holes into so much more. Most times, I'm more than happy to have the range all to myself. Other times, I'm glad to have the interaction with others into the shooting sports. Learning or helping others means so much more that it can't really be explained in words. I'm always open to critique from those more knowledgeable than myself. I've taken plenty of criticism in the past, and put it to good use. The day I quit learning will be the day I feel totally useless on this earth.
    Last edited by Ram Rod; October 31st, 2010 at 07:16 PM.

Nice story. It was nice of him to return the favor of you letting him try out your gun.

VIP Member
    Rollo,

Let me guess, your M&P is boring reliable too!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Rollo,

Let me guess, your M&P is boring reliable too!
    It's almost...dare I say it... Glock like :) Plenty accurate as well now that I know how to shoot it lol.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Get that guy's name and tell him he's got a weekend's free room and board in sunny Florida if he fixes my trigger finger!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sounds like your friendliness at the gun range paid off in 'big chips'.
    It's nice to pick up a few pointers from those with experience.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

After 100K rounds through various pistols in my first 3 years of shooting ... the pistol doesn't matter anymore (within reason of course). Good technique is universally transferrable to any and every gun you ever pick up - and vice versa. The "within reason" clause I had in the first part of my reply is just to account for those guns that are punishing to shoot and make flinching a common occurrence.

Just keep shooting ... a lot (my last range visit two weeks ago included 500 rounds of 10mm and another 400 rounds of .40). The skill will come.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Great post Rollo. Paying it forward pays off for everyone. +11111 for both of you and congrats on your M&Pc. Sounds like you've got a keeper.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    That is a pretty cool story.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Very good story. I very much enjoy watching somebody shoot like that. Its almost magical watching it. Those older guys always have something nice to contribute...theyve been there done it and got the t-shirt, or his case combat patch.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I hated my glock 23 until I learned what this guy showed you. I was so use to the smooth 1911 single action trigger. I learned to stage the trigger at the reset point and it was then I understood why experienced shooters I know love the Glock.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, and keep passing it on.

Quote Originally Posted by DUNDEM View Post
    I hated my glock 23 until I learned what this guy showed you. I was so use to the smooth 1911 single action trigger. I learned to stage the trigger at the reset point and it was then I understood why experienced shooters I know love the Glock.
    Evidence. Oh, how I wish we all lived within a fifty mile radius, and made a range day once a month. I'd really like that in so many ways.

Sponsored Links