Defensive Carry banner

Nose dive jamming help!!

8K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  richgp100z 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Looking for any advice or help. I have a SW9VE SW Sigma pistol (9mm). Had it for 3 years or so, never any problems/jams, etc. Used the same ammo this whole time, never had a hiccup with it or any FMJ. Last range trip and at home the other day though, I experienced a couple nose dive jams when racking the slide back and 2 whilst firing.

Have thought about this and thinking some possible explanations:
1. Feed ramp needs some TLC (cleaned and oiled the crap out of it)
2. Magazine springs are not strong enough anymore (not sure about this or how I replace them)
3. For when racking the slide, I'm not pulling back far enough or letting it go too soon maybe?

I've cleaned and oiled this puppy up but haven't been able to figure out yet if its just happening with one of the magazines. Oh well, I'm more or less a newbie when it comes to this issue, so any advice/help would be appreciated. Really just interested in fixing / tuning it to get it back to 100% working order. Thank you all in advance.

#2 ·
1 & 2 would be my first two guesses. A visual inspection of the feed ramp should eliminate 1. As far as 2 goes how many mags do you have for the gun? Does it happen with all of them? It seems odd to me that if you have more then one mag that the springs both started giving you issues at the same time. Are you sure the mag is seating all the waywhen you insert a fresh one? Also, is this a brand of ammo you normally run through the gun or is this a new brand of ammo you haven't used before?

#5 ·
The Sigma Mags are Quality Made, Was all mags or just one ? Make sure springs are in right ; )
PS They are Great Guns for the $$ I've got quite a few Ks down the Barrel & it loves my hand loads.
H/D

#9 ·
That usually gets you a premature slide lock back. I would vote feed lips, follower problem, or ramp needs contoured. Weird it's happening on FMJ. I've had problems on certain guns with sharp nosed JHP, but usually it's a stovepipe or similar, not nose dive.

Could be a general timing problem with the gun as well. Do you have a stiff recoil spring installed? When you say nose dive, is it actually UNDER the feed ramp, or the nose just snugged against the ramp and doesn't go up into chamber? If just snugged on the ramp, could also be a WEAK recoil spring. Manually racking is always suspect if you don't do it right. Some guns are sensitive to a manual rack. You need to do it briskly, not ride the slide home.

#10 ·
Might also check the polymer mag catch. It may be worn and the mag may not be held in the right position. If it happens when you load it from racking the slide, make sure you're doing it the same way every time and eliminate shooter error as much as possible.

Sigma mags are built tough. Unlikely the mag itself is damaged but it could happen. New springs (magazine amd recoil) are cheap, why not get a set? Takes 5 minutes to install both.

#11 ·
Thanks for the excellent tips guys, I think I've itemized it down to one mag that may be the problems. I will try cleaning / oiling the spring, the top of it looks ok to me but that doesn't mean much, so I will toss it if it continues to malfunction. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.