Nose dive jamming help!!

Nose dive jamming help!!

This is a discussion on Nose dive jamming help!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, Looking for any advice or help. I have a SW9VE SW Sigma pistol (9mm). Had it for 3 years or so, never any ...

Thread: Nose dive jamming help!!

Nose dive jamming help!!

Hi All,

Looking for any advice or help. I have a SW9VE SW Sigma pistol (9mm). Had it for 3 years or so, never any problems/jams, etc. Used the same ammo this whole time, never had a hiccup with it or any FMJ. Last range trip and at home the other day though, I experienced a couple nose dive jams when racking the slide back and 2 whilst firing.

Have thought about this and thinking some possible explanations:
    1. Feed ramp needs some TLC (cleaned and oiled the crap out of it)
    2. Magazine springs are not strong enough anymore (not sure about this or how I replace them)
    3. For when racking the slide, I'm not pulling back far enough or letting it go too soon maybe?

I've cleaned and oiled this puppy up but haven't been able to figure out yet if its just happening with one of the magazines. Oh well, I'm more or less a newbie when it comes to this issue, so any advice/help would be appreciated. Really just interested in fixing / tuning it to get it back to 100% working order. Thank you all in advance.

1 & 2 would be my first two guesses. A visual inspection of the feed ramp should eliminate 1. As far as 2 goes how many mags do you have for the gun? Does it happen with all of them? It seems odd to me that if you have more then one mag that the springs both started giving you issues at the same time. Are you sure the mag is seating all the waywhen you insert a fresh one? Also, is this a brand of ammo you normally run through the gun or is this a new brand of ammo you haven't used before?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

If you stored the mags fully loaded for a long period of time, the springs may need replaced. Use Wolffs if at all possible.
    Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by xpertz1 View Post
    If you stored the mags fully loaded for a long period of time, the springs may need replaced. Use Wolffs if at all possible.
    mag spring myth #38 ^^^

spring fatigue (loading and unloading) will happens faster than spring creep (loss of restitution from remaining compressed)
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

The Sigma Mags are Quality Made, Was all mags or just one ? Make sure springs are in right ; )
    PS They are Great Guns for the $$ I've got quite a few Ks down the Barrel & it loves my hand loads.
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    Feed lips? Did you drop your mag?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Nosedives are often caused by the bullet touching/hitting the slide lock where it extends into the mag. It may need cleaning in the mag well, but also the OAL of a round that dives may be slightly longer, or the actual shape of the bullet can cause it to hit the slide lock.

Chris

Try numbering your mags to help designate if its one or the other giving you trouble.

Fully disassemble, clean, and inspect each mag for damaged or worn parts.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Varmiter View Post
    Nosedives are often caused by the bullet touching/hitting the slide lock where it extends into the mag. It may need cleaning in the mag well, but also the OAL of a round that dives may be slightly longer, or the actual shape of the bullet can cause it to hit the slide lock.

Chris
    That usually gets you a premature slide lock back. I would vote feed lips, follower problem, or ramp needs contoured. Weird it's happening on FMJ. I've had problems on certain guns with sharp nosed JHP, but usually it's a stovepipe or similar, not nose dive.

Could be a general timing problem with the gun as well. Do you have a stiff recoil spring installed? When you say nose dive, is it actually UNDER the feed ramp, or the nose just snugged against the ramp and doesn't go up into chamber? If just snugged on the ramp, could also be a WEAK recoil spring. Manually racking is always suspect if you don't do it right. Some guns are sensitive to a manual rack. You need to do it briskly, not ride the slide home.

Might also check the polymer mag catch. It may be worn and the mag may not be held in the right position. If it happens when you load it from racking the slide, make sure you're doing it the same way every time and eliminate shooter error as much as possible.

Sigma mags are built tough. Unlikely the mag itself is damaged but it could happen. New springs (magazine amd recoil) are cheap, why not get a set? Takes 5 minutes to install both.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Thanks for the excellent tips guys, I think I've itemized it down to one mag that may be the problems. I will try cleaning / oiling the spring, the top of it looks ok to me but that doesn't mean much, so I will toss it if it continues to malfunction. Thanks again.

Get a revolver

Links