How many rounds till you deem reliable?

This is a discussion on How many rounds till you deem reliable? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd say between 200-300 everytime I bought a new gun and tested it....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many rounds till you deem reliable?

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I'd say between 200-300 everytime I bought a new gun and tested it.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    I'm just curious. How many rounds do you put through a carry gun until you deem it reliable??
    jwalker ... As with almost everything, some folks need more convincing then others. The problem with setting a specific number of rounds before you feel comfortable to carry a gun, is that every gun has the potential to fail given the fact that it is a mechanical device. Will it happen at round 5, 55, 102, 210, 450, 506 or maybe never .... who knows? Accordingly, while it's certainly important IMHO to run a reasonable number of rounds through a new carry gun to get used to it and break it in a bit (for me it's 80 - 100), it's equally important to be proficient in the process of clearing any malfunctions in the event that one happens at an inopportune time.
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

If I put 250 through a gun with not a hitch it is ok.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Some gun models are simply problematic. Some gun models are problematic with certain ammos. Some gun models are problematic with certain shooters.

Then there are Glocks. Other makes may work as well out of the box and not need "X" number of rounds throught them to "break in," but I know my G30 is going to work 99.99% of the time, and that .01% of the time it's either the ammo or me, neither of which can any gun maker be held acountable for.

The point is: fire as many rounds as it takes to instill your confidence, not someone else's. When will your gun malfunction? You might as well ask when will that light bulb burn out? Who knows. It could be the next time.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    My Glock 19 I shot 250 rounds of FMJ's then 50 rounds of golden sabers 124grain mixed in with 150 more rounds of FMJ's. Finally I ran one mag of the sabers through as fast as I could then reloaded and carried!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    My Glock 19 I shot 250 rounds of FMJ's then 50 rounds of golden sabers 124grain mixed in with 150 more rounds of FMJ's. Finally I ran one mag of the sabers through as fast as I could then reloaded and carried!
    My H&K USP .40 works well with just about any load except Blazer FMJs (stovepipe/failure to feed jams). As for my S&W Model 457 .45, works well w/ just about any load except Mexican made ammo.
    For both my Mossberg 590 12 ga. and Rock River Arms LAR-15 .223/5.56, no problem with any loads either.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Oh My God! Draw, pull the trigger, bang, click, oh shucky-darn! Too bad, I should have fired another 25 rnds. first. Give me a break! If it don't go bang every time, out of the box, it's gone! I will only carry a gun that has a history of zero malfunctions out of the box or a revolver, or both. Sometimes life doesn't give you a second chance.

My first thought involves the type of carry piece you intend on utilizing to protect your life....."Wheel Gun" or "Semi-Auto".....from the tenor of your question, I assume that you prefer a "Semi", thus I concur with others that have replied to this thread regarding the so-called reasonable break-in-period for a new piece, as well as your chosen magazines. Obviously, whatever "factory" defensive ammo you choose must be reliable 100% of the time....no failure to feed, no failure to extract, no failure to properly cycle the weapon, and no tendency to "stovepipe". You may wish to take your chosen weapon to a quality gunsmith & have the feed ramp polished with a fine jewler's wheel....that alone usually will solve any feed problems that would arise, including feeding problems encountered with certain JHP ammo. This proceedure will save you the expense of running additional unnecessary amounts of expensive ammo through the firearm to insure reliability.....if you experience no misfires or jams after 200 rounds, you probably have a very reliable weapon. I personally have had both of my 70 Series Colt 1911's ramps slightly beveled & highly polished....this proceedure has allowed both weapons the ability to even digest "empty cases", as well as every other manufactured .45 ACP configuration rammed down the barrels.

In my opinion, the most overlooked factor when utilizing a "semi" as a primary carry piece is magazine function. I cannot overemphasize the importance of proper magazine maintenance of the primary, as well as all backup mags. In addition to being properly cleaned & lubed, proper spring tension must be maintained by rotating magazines every two (2) weeks or so to relieve the spring tension to insure that the consistent, stored potential energy of that particular spring is consistent....from the first to last round! The manual cycling & extracting of live ammo utilizing your chosen magazines is usually a good indicator of reliable magazine function, and I would recommend it be done by the user on a regular basis.

The last item that usually gets overlooked is the firing pin......most will function for thousands of rounds before bending or breaking, but repeated "dry firing" on an empty chamber can exacerbate the probability of such a failure. Purchase some inexpensive "snap caps" & utilize them when training.....a broken firing pin is usually not noticed until non-detonation occurs, and one always hopes that if this occurs, it occurs on the training range.....not when one is placed in gravest extreme.

Although I love & cherish my 1911s, my primary carry piece is a "snubby" wheel gun.....a S&W five-shot Model 60-15, 2 1/8 inch "J Frame" in .357 Mag, complemented with Winchester 180 grain SXT "Black Talon" Rhino Rollers in the cylinder (cronographs at 1400 fps with 2 1/8 inch barrel)....I bought a ton of that stuff back in the early '90s at $12.00 bucks for a box of 20 cartridges. I had the hammer of the 60 "bobbed" & polished to insure that it wouldn't hang up on any clothing, especially when carrying in my jacket pockets.....I swapped out an "Uncle Mike's Combat Grip" from the factory original, and lo-and-behold.....my version of a perfect carry piece....one that didn't need a critical "break-in-period".....it has digested everything that I have ever placed in the chamber....without failure. Even though I carry a speed-loader full of Talons, whose to say that if you can't get the job done with the first five (5), WILL THE NEXT FIVE (5) BE ANY DIFFERENT? Wheel Gun or Semi....you make the choice!

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    I'm just curious. How many rounds do you put through a carry gun until you deem it reliable?? Do you have a fixed number or does your number depend on the make and model? Does your number change depending on whether you've experienced any issues? How much is enough for you?? please explain you're process/ideas.
    Autoloaders get 500 rounds of whatever I can find to run through them. After that I want 200 rounds of my carry ammo to run without any malfunctions. If I have a malfunction I figure out why, fix the problem, and then start over at Round 1 of my carry ammo.

You can generally tell if a weapon is going to be reliable or not pretty quickly, but that is not to say that some weapons don't develop problems that surface later in the "break-in" period.

Biker

If you stick to combinations that historically work, you start with more confidence to begin with. I only CCW G19s and G17s, and carry those with Speer GD or Ranger T. A fair number of large PDs do the same, so statistically it's a safe bet.

To me, Glocks feel "stiff" in their cycling (no, I can't describe it better than that) for the first 500 rds. So I would put 1,000 FMJ rds through a new one, then maybe 80 - 100 JHP of the above brands. At that point I'm confident, but I'm much more confident if the gun has been vetted by going through a weekend training course with no incidents.

I test every magazine by emptying it,loading another and emptying,so on.That was the exact test i did sunday with my TRP.Not one problem.Its on my side right now.

About 250-300 rounds without a problem. Clean it and keep plan "B" in mind.

As with some others, it depends on the gun. With most semi-autos usually 50+ rds, using all magazines. I make sure it functions flawlessly with both range ammo and carry ammo. With revolvers, one cylinder full lets me know it works, or not.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

It depends on the weapon
    It really does. You could argue that a Raven .25 or anything from Jimenez Arms couldn't be deemed reliable regardless of number of rounds fired. My own reading on my new CCW, the Ruger SR9c, is that it's extremely reliable with any ammo in caliber you can shoot through it. Glocks have a similar reputation. So with 150 through mine to date, I'm already feeling like I won't have to shoot it much more to be confident that it isn't one of those rare lemons that has to go back to the factory.

It's been happy with 3 different brands of JHP and FMJ, and next up is with the Corbon +P. About 50 rounds of that should settle the question. This isn't my area of expertise, but I think most Sigs would be in this category. On this and other forums, I've read that Kimbers can be a bit ammo finicky, and maybe Walthers, too? Some .22 semiautos seem to be ammo selective. So it really depends on the gun and ammo combo you're going with. There doesn't seem to be a magic number that applies to all guns across the board.

Same with revolvers. With around 100 through any standard S&W, absent any odd behavior I'd consider it fit for duty. I'd want at least 500 through a Taurus or Charter Arms before green-light.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I shoot for 200 trouble free rounds of FMJ and 50 rounds of HP in my desired flavor before I carry any said weapon.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links