How many rounds till you deem reliable?

This is a discussion on How many rounds till you deem reliable? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jwalker497 I'm just curious. How many rounds do you put through a carry gun until you deem it reliable?? Do you have ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many rounds till you deem reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    I'm just curious. How many rounds do you put through a carry gun until you deem it reliable?? Do you have a fixed number or does your number depend on the make and model? Does your number change depending on whether you've experienced any issues? How much is enough for you?? please explain you're process/ideas.
    Make and model mainly for me. Glocks have always done right by me. Still, I do have a minimum qualification, and it's right around 200 rounds of range ammo and 100 rounds of PD ammo run through them. My numbers don't change since all of my Glocks are seasoned, and I've never had any issues other than the older than dirt magazines (which have more than likely been dropped in the dirt). Our SIG P220 SAO seems to be ticking away in the same fashion. I won't ever carry anything that hasn't been tested with range ammo and PD ammo. PD ammo is more expensive, and depending...I might run a mere 50 rounds of chosen through to make sure everything operates as intended. If it feeds well, and you can hit with it, I'd say your PD ammo is good to go. Each of us make our own criteria for when something is ultimately reliable before we carry it. No set amount nor average. It's when YOU feel comfortable doing so.

2. Remove Ads

"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The Glock 23 I've got at home right now had about 50K rounds through it before I started carrying it .... of course, that's because it spent the first 50K rounds of it's life living with me in NJ where there are no carry permits.

My Fusion ... I put between 1500 and 2K rounds through it before I started carrying it, but it's not the round count that does it for me, it's the operation of the firearm which I can get a much better feel for using snap caps and removing the recoil spring.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Really?? I was thinking more like 343? Just kidding that one made me laugh!! Nice.

How many threads always make me laugh. What does the maker say? The gun I carry EDC says if it doesn't go bang, it's broke. I have less than a 100 rounds through it. How many products have you bought in the $400 to $1000 range have you bought, other than a gun, and expected it to not work? When you bought your refridgerator, did you run 3 months of food through it before you trusted it?

The more break in rounds you fire, the closer you are to the first malfunction. Guns are mechanical, they will wear out.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

semi auto: five boxes (250) FMJ no failures = pass. I normally load FMJ in "intermediate power" pistols
    A US brand Revolver, a half box = good to go
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Any gun pointed in an unsafe direction should, at that moment, be considered very reliable.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    I'm just curious. How many rounds do you put through a carry gun until you deem it reliable?? Do you have a fixed number or does your number depend on the make and model? Does your number change depending on whether you've experienced any issues? How much is enough for you?? please explain you're process/ideas.
    Not many, how many rounds do you have to go thru to be reliable with that specific pistol? That is just as important.

For the most part, it's the magazines you'll have to tame. Springs are hard when they are new.
    Go with the glow

I like to start with 50 manufactured FMJ. Then 200 of my JHP reloads and then finally 25-50 of the defensive ammo I will carry. My H&Ks are still waiting for a malfunction even after shooting in competition. My Sigs, in particular the P226 with over 8000 rds is still waiting for an issue. Well I love my Kimbers but not convinced of "goes bang every time" and I hate safeties on carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    As with some others, it depends on the gun. With most semi-autos usually 50+ rds, using all magazines. I make sure it functions flawlessly with both range ammo and carry ammo. With revolvers, one cylinder full lets me know it works, or not.
    That is what I do. If it doesn't fail in the first 50, I don't expect it to fail often later. Plus, like some have mentioned, it's a mechanical device and so there's always a chance of failure. I like to be comfortable clearing a jam quickly just in case. With a revolver, same story. One cylinder and I'm happy enough to trust it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links