What to do with ccw at the gym?

This is a discussion on What to do with ccw at the gym? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really dont like leaving my gun in a locker at the gym.Suggestions?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with ccw at the gym?

What to do with ccw at the gym?

I really dont like leaving my gun in a locker at the gym.Suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Lockbox in your truck/car ? I haven't gone to a gym since long before I was able to carry , but I plan on investing in some COM safes for my personal vehicle, and wifes, and in the event I join a gym, I'd lock it up in my vehicle.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I lock mine in one of those lockbox safes (COM, GunVault micro, etc.) that you can run the cable around your seat anchor. I suppose I could padlock it in one of the lockers since my gym has the lockers in the main room where it would be pretty obvious if someone tried to bolt-cutter one, but I generally just leave it in my car.

Sorry for not being specific enough.I like to have my gun with me,and when doing things as strenuous and focused as weight lifting,it has gotten uncomfortable at times.

Well if you want to keep it on your while exercising, I guess a fanny pack holster might be the only viable choice.

im going thru the same problem, i want my gun on me, while working out..

ideally, i want to buy a lightweight revolver like the LCR 13oz, or LCP 9 oz so i can pocket carry those or IWB with gym shorts...but...i only have a G26 that weighs 26 oz...

There are fanny packs made for guns specifically, but i want something with a holster inside with a custom fit for my gun. and doesnt look super tactical.

( http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2125.php)

i bought a fanny pack from REI, and i plan on carrying my G26 in that. its an Eagle creek brand, cost me 20 bucks, and i like the quality better than their 15 dollar jan sport. the eagle creek has a nice big opening and fits the G26 perfectly fine and its finish seems to be better on the side,they sewed some webbing over the panel stitching so it looks neater

it comes with those quick release buckles which if someone tried to snatch my fanny pack, it'd pop off with enough force, so im planning on taking off those buckles, and adding velcro to the strapes it came with, so its kinda like the tactical wilderness belts. i just hope someone doesnt try to cut it off my waist...i'd be screwed.

on the inside, i was planning to sew in some sweat proof material, i came up with a thick binder cover ( not the one with cardboard on the inside) its still flexable but pretty stiff.

also i plan on purchasing the Glock sport/combat holster so sew in to the fanny pack, IF it has good retention and the gun doesnt come loose..i'll have to see when i order it..if not ima have to find another cheap holster, maybe with a thumb break. or the black hawk Sportster SERPA Holster

fanny packs do look dorky, but for working out, have some head phones hanging out, i dont thnk any body would give you a second look about it.

this project is still in the works...but hopefully this will give u an idea or two

you can always smart carry LOL

this is the packi bought: http://www.rei.com/product/803589

What size gun are we talking about?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I secure mine in my gym bag and carry it with me. I also carry my lifting gloves, bag gloves, workout notes, iPod etc in my bag.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

found this video by nuttnfancy, seems like he thinks like me..might just go with velcro instead of sewing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g3SwEk6lAc

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    How about a concealment t-shirt? You can wear it with your gun and then just put on a baggy t-shirt or sweatshirt over it to conceal perfectly.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

This is EXACTLY the reason that I am transitioning from a public gym to investing in the weights and cardio equipment of my own so i can work out adequately at home. I can still have my gun (any and all of them in fact) and I don't have to use any extra gas to drive to a gym. Plus I never have to wait for a machine.

I'm not there yet. But, for the current time, I lock mine in a COM safe in my vehicle. The gym I currently go to doesn't even have a locker room.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

When I go to the gym (3 days a week) I take my J-frame and a speed strip, carried in a leather fanny pack, along with my wallet and cell phone. I keep it with me, but not necessarily on me. Because of some minor physical limitations, I can't lift free weights, but find that I can loop the fanny pack strap around the machines I use and in my field of view.

You are wise to not trust a gym locker. Many, many thefts from lockers, especially from the larger gyms / clubs.

Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Gun in the gym bag and knife in my pocket.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    I really don't like leaving my gun in a locker at the gym.Suggestions?
    SmartCarry! I'll give it two thumbs up for the gym! Been there, done that. Sweatpants, or shorts. Thanks again Grady!

+1 for smartcarry. Been using mine for over 2 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links