Sp101 - 3 inch barrel VS 2 inch - Page 2

Sp101 - 3 inch barrel VS 2 inch

This is a discussion on Sp101 - 3 inch barrel VS 2 inch within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own both the 2 1/4" and the 3" versions of the SP101. Both guns are extremely accurate and to be honest I can't tell ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sp101 - 3 inch barrel VS 2 inch

I own both the 2 1/4" and the 3" versions of the SP101. Both guns are extremely accurate and to be honest I can't tell a discernible difference in the accuracy. I can tell you the 3" version has less muzzle flip when shooting full magnum loads. The 2 1/4" version tends to roll in my hand with magnum loads. I changed the grip on the 2 1/4" and that helped to reduce rolling. Both guns IMO are too heavy for pocket carry, but work very well IWB and OWB. I carry my 2 1/4" in a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake and a my 3" in a Bianchi 7 Shadow. Both guns are easy to conceal. I do however recommend wearing a good belt. Whichever version you choose you will be very happy. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I carry the SP101 in 2.25 inch with DAO. Carries easliy in Mika's pocket holster. That wouldn't work quite as well with a 3", except with deep cargo pants. So in pocket carry, 2.25" all the way. But if you plan to carry IWB, I'd suggest the 3".

Not a huge difference IMO either way.
    Glock 36 with Lasermax / Glock 23 / Glock 21. Ruger SP101. Taurus 85.

DZSG (Designated Zombie Survival Gun) = 870 Remington Tactical Shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I was thinking about one of these or the GP100. Odd's are that I would not carry it often because of my M&P, but I have been wanting one! I want a 4 inch though!
    I've been seriously looking at the GP100 as well. I doubt I'd carry it very often at all (too many Glocks) but I'd like to have one for HD or if I just wanted to put it in the Versipack and carry it that way. I'm leaning toward the four inch as well.

Either or. I'm going with a 2.25" DAO that will be an IWB carry 90%. I'm sure I'll pick up a belt holster too. Good Luck with whichever you choose!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I'm partial to 3" Six Shot Revolvers, like the GP100, but will admit to a 2.25" SP101 as well.

If I'm only going to carry one, and I don't, the 3" gets my vote. The longer tube makes me want an extra round, so I go with Six-Shooters. The five shot, shorter barrelled gun is a BUG for me. The six round capacity, combined with the 3" tube is the perfect revolver compromize, IMO. I've found it to hide as easily as the five shot gun, so why not take advantage of that extra round?

Biker
    ************************************************** *********************Hey Biker..you're making me miss my 3" RB Model 64 Smith. The 3" configuration is ideal for medium-frame revolvers!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Just get the one that's available when you are
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I went with the 3" in the sp101. I personally like it for the longer sight radius, and I feel I am more accurate with it as a result. I have a S&W 640 snub nose as well that serves my shorter barrel and carry needs. I also fit my sp101 with a big dot sight, which makes it more of a pleasure to shoot for me.

Good luck either way. It is a fantastic handgun.
    Last edited by RockStrongo; November 4th, 2010 at 02:13 AM.

When I was looking I thought about the 2 inch 101 for about a millisecond. And went straight to the 3 inch.

One inch of barrel length for concealability is nothing compared to the other benefits of the one inch of barrel length.

Granted, I never intended to carry in my pocket, the gun was bought along with holsters for IWB (supertuck) or OWB belt slide. It carries well with either of those two methods. Full house magnum loads shoot well out of the 3 inch. I did change the factory grips to the Hogue monogrip before ever leaving the gun shop, it made a world of differnce in my hand.

Good luck with your decsion.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Hi Rollo!

Just my opinion, but "pocket carry" of a .357 is not really an option. Since you said that your .357 isn't going to be pocket carried, the choice is a no-brainer IMHO...

I have .357's in 2", 3", and 6" barrel lengths, and the difference between a 2" and a 3" is HUGE. Maybe not so much ballistically, but the reduced muzzle flip, muzzle blast, felt recoil, etc. with the 3" is dramatic. I guarantee I can put three or four shots C.O.M. with the 3" faster than two with a 2". I'd suggest that before you buy, try out both barrel lengths, if you have the opportunity. Your choice will be obvious if you compare them side-by-side.

Regards,
    Jim

I have both.

I like the 2" better. It's my EDC.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    As you already know Rollo the SP101 is a superb wheelgun in either barrel lenght. If you are not planning to pocket carry I would get the 3" barrel for the basic reasons our friend kilowatt3 stated above.

Note to all who may be on the fence as far as purchasing a Ruger SP101.......I have owned many many handguns over 30+ years as an avid shooter and the little Ruger is a just a heck of a handgun and one of the best revolvers made period. Everybody should own one IMO.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

tea
    I've been carrying an SP 101 .357 magnum with 2 1/4" barrel for quite a few years. Currently carry mine in a Galco OWB retention holster. Of all the CC revolvers I've had this Ruger is by far the best. It's a bit on the heavy side but one grows used to that and learn to accomodate the weight. For CC am using 125 gr JHP.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM
    "If you seek peace prepare for war"

Just my opinion, but "pocket carry" of a .357 is not really an option.

Off subject, but with a good pocket holster you can carry even the SP101 without a problem. I've used leather pocket holsters that look good, but end up being too bulky, adding to the size. Mika's is a flexible, smallish holster that holds the beast in place, and moves with you.

Just the way I roll when I want to carry a wheelgun instead of Glock.
    Glock 36 with Lasermax / Glock 23 / Glock 21. Ruger SP101. Taurus 85.

DZSG (Designated Zombie Survival Gun) = 870 Remington Tactical Shotgun

As far as the ballistic issues go, when people talk about a .357 being slower out of a 2 inch barrel that is true for sure... however people always say it may as well be a 38+p... thats where I have to disagree.

What they mean is the .357 out of a 2 inch barrel ends up with the ballistics of a .38+p specification on the box. The on-box spec is usually measured from a longer barrel 4" I think? So comparing apples to apples, the 38+p out of that same 2 inch barrel will still be slower than the .357 out of the same barrel. Of course, either one will ruin someone's day.

I'm looking for a CCW revolver for the days I don't want to schlep the G30. My favorite all around is the sp101 spurless in a 2 inch, but I think I may end up going with an LCR .357 just in case I decide to ever pocket carry (unlikely but you never know).

I have a DAO sp with the 2 1/4 inch. I belly carry IWB. Conceals a whole lot better than the 3inch model does. I added the Crimson trace overmolded grips and i cant concieve of a better 357 carry piece.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links