Sp101 - 3 inch barrel VS 2 inch

This is a discussion on Sp101 - 3 inch barrel VS 2 inch within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A 3" barrel is 50% longer than a 2" barrel. But that doesn't mean you'll get 50% more velocity..........

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sp101 - 3 inch barrel VS 2 inch

A 3" barrel is 50% longer than a 2" barrel. But that doesn't mean you'll get 50% more velocity.......

2. Remove Ads

If you're not going to pocket carry, the only advantage that the 2" barrel would have is if you are going to appendix carry.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    As far as the ballistic issues go, when people talk about a .357 being slower out of a 2 inch barrel that is true for sure... however people always say it may as well be a 38+p... thats where I have to disagree.

What they mean is the .357 out of a 2 inch barrel ends up with the ballistics of a .38+p specification on the box. The on-box spec is usually measured from a longer barrel 4" I think? So comparing apples to apples, the 38+p out of that same 2 inch barrel will still be slower than the .357 out of the same barrel. Of course, either one will ruin someone's day.

I'm looking for a CCW revolver for the days I don't want to schlep the G30. My favorite all around is the sp101 spurless in a 2 inch, but I think I may end up going with an LCR .357 just in case I decide to ever pocket carry (unlikely but you never know).
    Good post, and +1 on the LCR in .357. There's a lot to be said about versatility.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    If you're not going to pocket carry, the only advantage that the 2" barrel would have is if you are going to appendix carry.
    Bingo.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Spurless or spurred hammer shoudn't be a big issue either way if you find one. If you have one and want the other, you can simply order the hammer you desire (not that much) and it takes less than 5 minutes to change them out. I've got a spurred hammer and have been thinking about ordering a spurless so I can switch them out for versatility if so desired. I like having options. I just thought I would mention it in case you found a deal on one that didn't have the hammer configuration you wanted it can be quickly and inexpensively switched.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Spurless or spurred hammer shoudn't be a big issue either way if you find one. If you have one and want the other, you can simply order the hammer you desire (not that much) and it takes less than 5 minutes to change them out. I've got a spurred hammer and have been thinking about ordering a spurless so I can switch them out for versatility if so desired. I like having options. I just thought I would mention it in case you found a deal on one that didn't have the hammer configuration you wanted it can be quickly and inexpensively switched.
    Thanks for the info! I was not aware the hammer able to be changed out.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I must clarify that you cannot buy "critical parts" directly from Ruger. The hammer falls into that category as far as Ruger is concerned. The gun has to be sent to them for installation and "fitment" of the replacement part. You can, however, pick up said parts from other sources if you take your time and do some searching. Just thought I would clarify that point.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links