Got me an LCP!

Got me an LCP!

This is a discussion on Got me an LCP! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got myself an LCP yesterday. I've been wanting one for pocket carry/BUG for a while. Haven't shot it yet, maybe later today. I bought ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got me an LCP!

Got me an LCP!

I got myself an LCP yesterday. I've been wanting one for pocket carry/BUG for a while. Haven't shot it yet, maybe later today. I bought a box of +P ammo while I was at the store and didn't realize until I got home and read the LCP owners manual that I am not suppose to shoot +P's! Crap, now I have a $22 box of ammo that I can't use. Anyone have a similar dilemma? Have you shot +Ps trough your LCP's? The ammo I have is Buffalo Bore 90gr JHP.

Welcome to the club! You'll love your LCP. I have never shot any +P through mine. Don't take this as official advice, but there is talk that the no +P recommendation for the LCP is more from the Ruger attorneys than it is from the Ruger designers. But I am no expert so I would wait for some more feedback from other people on the forum and make sure that other people have shot +P through their LCP safely.

Good luck!

Congrats on the LCP. I have the stainless version. Love it. Great little pocket gun. I can't advise either way about the +P ammo. I haven't shot any in mine. Like said before, some people have. If you havn't opened it, take it by the store where you got it and tell them you didn't realize that the gun was not rated for +P and you picked up +P by mistake. Ask them if they would exchange it for some non +P ammo. Especially if you havn't opened it. You may have a chance of them doing the exchange.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I guess I don't really know. But I do know that the buffalo bore folk test their ammo performance through actual guns (not test barrels), and one of those guns for the +p .380 is the Kel-Tec P3AT, which is extremely similar to the LCP. - for whatever that information is worth.

See here: http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=129

LCP-Diamondback

The LCP is a great PP but it is not that comfortable to shoot with hot loads; I put 3 rounds of Corbon through mine. Due to the construction along with not having a +p rating I would be at best hesitant to load increased pressure ammo without further testing by Ruger. I recently purchased a Diamond Back which is marketed for defensive ammunition, although not specifically rated +p, due to the construction and design I do have Corbon in mine.[ATTACH=CONFIG]21987
    Attached Images

I have an LCP, you'll like it if you accept it for what it is.
    No similar dilemma here on the +P. I never bought any because I knew the gun wasn't rated for it.

From what I have read, the biggest concern is that there is no SAMMI standards for .380 +P.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Thanks for the replies guys! I guess I will just hang on to the +P ammo for now. I already opened it and the store where I bought it from has a big sign that says no refunds or exchanges on ammo. Its my fault really, I should've researched a little more prior to buying the ammo. I was just all caught up in the moment of buying the gun. I love gun shopping like my sister in law likes shoe shopping. Anyhow, I have a buddy that has a .380, not sure which one, but maybe he can shoot the ammo. I really like this gun, maybe I need another?? Awwww....too many guns out there and not enough cash to buy them all...oh well..

Quote Originally Posted by H82Miss View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys! I guess I will just hang on to the +P ammo for now. I already opened it and the store where I bought it from has a big sign that says no refunds or exchanges on ammo. Its my fault really, I should've researched a little more prior to buying the ammo. I was just all caught up in the moment of buying the gun. I love gun shopping like my sister in law likes shoe shopping. Anyhow, I have a buddy that has a .380, not sure which one, but maybe he can shoot the ammo. I really like this gun, maybe I need another?? Awwww....too many guns out there and not enough cash to buy them all...oh well..
    Welcome to the club. Once you start, you can't stop. I just got one....but now I want this one... and this one.. wait, one of these.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

i love my lcp its a great pocket/bug u should check out the ct laser for it also a good addon and galco makes a pocket holster that u can carry it with laser for $25.00!!!
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Congrats on your LCP. You may want to join the Elsie Pea forum for a lot of good information.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

u'll love it carry mine every day and i couldnt be happier. Just added the pinky extension on mine this week and giving it a try. As far as the +P ive never put any through mine, ive seen post on here from guys that swear it wont hurt anything but personally i have no experience with it, i would just stick to the manufactures rec

Use the +P for carry ammo, the couple shots you use to save your life won't break the gun.

Congrats on your new little pistol!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Congrats on the Lil Booger as I affectionately call mine. I've got the CT Laser on mine too. Cool little gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links