Sigma vs. Kel tec Pf9

Sigma vs. Kel tec Pf9

This is a discussion on Sigma vs. Kel tec Pf9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you guys think of the S&W sigma 9mm how is the reliability compared to the Kel tec Pf9. I think the sigma will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sigma vs. Kel tec Pf9

What do you guys think of the S&W sigma 9mm how is the reliability compared to the Kel tec Pf9. I think the sigma will shoot a little better since its bigger and weights more.
    What do you guys think?

VIP Member
    The Sigma will certainly be more comfortable to shoot, but that doesn't really mean much because they are two very different pistols for very different purposes. No comparison between them is going to give realistic information on which one is "better," because each has an entirely different purpose.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Yep, dead on the money, two completely different guns built for two different purposes. Kind of a apples and oranges thing.

If you want car/home defense/sometimes CC - Sigma, I suppose
    If you want primarily a CC piece for even summer carry under light clothes - PF9
    my 2 cents.

The sigma should be easier to shoot with the longer sight profile, full sized grip, and more weight but much of the accuracy is given up by the terrible trigger. As far reliability they are both pretty solid guns. I guess the most important question would be what are you needing a concealed carry, or a full sized gun?

I did not want to compare size just reliability for instance if you were gonna use it for the range and HD. I will not be CC either one of these.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    The sigma should be easier to shoot with the longer sight profile, full sized grip, and more weight but much of the accuracy is given up by the terrible trigger. As far reliability they are both pretty solid guns. I guess the most important question would be what are you needing a concealed carry, or a full sized gun?
    Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree, the Sigma only gives up accuracy if you don't make an effort to learn how to shoot it... Just like any gun, IMO. I have a Sigma .40 and I have found it to be a very accurate gun and since the trigger pull is somewhat longer than some of my other pistols, I have found that I actually concentrate more on each shot.

Some people hate the Sigma for various reasons so I won't waste any time defending it; I'll just say that my personal experience with one allows me to say that I see no reason why you wouldn't want one for a range/HD pistol. It covers both of those categories just fine in my opinion.

Senior Moderator
    The Sigma has the absolute worst trigger of any gun that I have ever shot.

Can it be mastered? Sure it can.

The question is, why should you when there are better triggers that you can shoot that dont require constant practice or attention?

I've seen dozens of them over the years put away and never used again or sold when someone shot a different gun with a better trigger.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    The PF9 is not designed as a range/HD gun. Of course, it COULD serve in both capacities, but it really borders on unpleasant to shoot it very much, and there are plenty of better options for those intended roles.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

[QUOTE=punk rocka;1797490]Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree, the Sigma only gives up accuracy if you don't make an effort to learn how to shoot it... Just like any gun, IMO. I have a Sigma .40 and I have found it to be a very accurate gun and since the trigger pull is somewhat longer than some of my other pistols, I have found that I actually concentrate more on each shot.

Some people hate the Sigma for various reasons so I won't waste any time defending it

No problem with what you have said. I didn't call your beloved Sigma a POS. I just made a statement that it has a bad trigger. It's a fact. I have no problem with the Sigma. It has a great price point and its a reliable gun. With all that being said with the trigger as it is it's no tack driver. Could you become good with it, yes, would you be better with a 4.5 lbs trigger that breaks clean like a 1911, probably so.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I have a SW9 and had a PF-9. yes, they are entirely different animals but if size is not an issue, each can be had for nearly the same money.
    A while back, Buds had the SW9VE for $259.00 (that included a $50.00 rebate.) The PF-9 was $259.00. My SW9VE has been 100% from
    day one. Eats what ever I put in it and super easy to strip and clean. Yes, the trigger is pretty bad but I did not buy the gun for the trigger
    action..... Recoil is substantually less with the SW9 as would be expected. Darn good gun for the money in my opinion.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The Sigma has the absolute worst trigger of any gun that I have ever shot.
    Did you ever shoot a HK VP70Z? I had one of the first VP70Z's. They had the worst trigger I ever shot with.

In my experience the Sigma's are very reliable, and I can lighten and smooth out the trigger in less time than it would take to tell you about it..
    War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

I have an SW9VE and a PF9. I carry the SW9 daily, and the PF9 on a rare occasion in the summer. They are very different guns. I'm considering selling the PF9 as it's just not fun to shoot for me, and I'd rather just get the smallest package possible (P3AT or LCP) for a pocket carry gun. I do believe that the PF9 is one of the smallest 9mm's out there though.

The Sigma has been 100% for me since day one, roughly 3k down the pipe now. The Sigma's trigger doesn't bother me at all. The PF9 was iffy for the first 200rds, no issues ever since. Maybe 600rds through it now. YMMV.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    My advice to you if money is tight at this time, as it is for many these days, just save up a bit longer and get a quality handgun, not the cheapest gun you can afford now......your life and the lives of loved ones may depend on it. Sigma's are the low end of the S&W semiauto line but are still superior in quality to any Kel Tec. Nothing wrong with a bargin handgun if its relaible and trustworthy but Kel Tecs sell at a low price point for very good reasons.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

RKM
    A Kel-Tec as a HD/range gun doesn't make much sense. Get something full sized for that. Longer barrel = accuracy. Bigger size, and usually weight = less recoil. And bigger size, usually indicated larger capacity. All obvious.

As far as reliability, I have no experience with either. But there are MUCH better options out there for only a little bit more money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links