CW9 vs. PF9

This is a discussion on CW9 vs. PF9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering both of these for my next handgun. Looking for something as slim as possible, but not wanting to step any lower than 9mm. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CW9 vs. PF9

CW9 vs. PF9

I'm considering both of these for my next handgun. Looking for something as slim as possible, but not wanting to step any lower than 9mm.

I was wonder what people think, as well as their reasoning.

Kahr cw9 or Kel-tec PF9?

2. Remove Ads

I had terrible reliability problems with 2 different Kahr's. I'll never own another one. I don't think much of their customer service either.
    War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

To be honest either gun can be a little hit or miss. I can say for sure that the trigger on the kahr is quite a bit better then the Kel-tec. If you want a super slim/lightweight 9mm I think the best thing out there if the Walther PPS. The downside of that is it's about twice the cost of a PF9.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Regardless of having a problem with my CW9 currently. I still trust it, or will when I get it back. Kahr customer service has been great. The problem with mine, the frame cracked around the trigger pivot pin. Kahr gunsmith said he had never seen that before and he's been there working for them a long time. They rebuilt it and I will have it back tomorrow. See the thread here.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...Call-From-Kahr

I don't like Kel-tec's fit finish.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

My CW9 has over 800 trouble free rounds. It is on me as I write this, great pistol! I completely trust this gun.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Its not an apples to apples comparison. Kel Tecs are no where near the quality of a Kahr period. They (Kel Tecs) sell at the low price point for good reasons. Certainly nothing wrong with a low price handgun if its reliable and trustworthy, but Kahrs are superior in every way measurable. They certainly will set you back more cost wise but my life and my families life is worth it to me.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I heard quite a few good things about the PF-9. I'm currently in the market for one myself.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I had issues with my PF-9. KelTec took it back for 8 weeks and "re-worked" it.
    Now it is flawless. 500 rounds and not one FTE or FTF.

I'll make my second obligatory PF9 comment for the day and say mine was a piece of junk.

I have never had a problem with my CW9 and have around 1k rounds thu it. I have it listed on my ccw permit and often carry it and trust it 100%. It is also very easy to conceal since it's so thin. I am 5'10' 130lbs and it hides no problem. It is also as accurate as I can shoot it.

The more I carry and shoot my CW9, the more I like it. I've been home for 3+ months recovering from some surgical complications, and that whole time this little guy has been on my hip if I'm dressed and awake. I prefer higher capacity and bigger caliber when I'm out walking the dogs (assuming I get to resume that activity) or hiking, but for fulfilling the basic requirement to "have a gun" on my person I can't say enough good things about it. The biggest advantage for me is that it's light and compact enough to be innocuous, unlike my 1911s which always let you know they're on board. I'm over the 1000-round mark by now with no problems; ball, Silvertips, Fed 9BP, Fed Hydra-Shok and Cor-Bon +P all feed without problems. A cheapie Fobus paddle holster is the convenient carry mode at home, but I'm looking at more substantial holsters for when I'm out and about.

I do have a Kel-Tec, a P32, and if the PF-9 is of similar materials and construction quality, I don't think there is a comparison between that and the Kahr... that's about like comparing a Smith & Wesson to a Rossi.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

i chose the Kahr CW9 over the KelTec PF9 ,just felt like a better quilty gun..

IMG_0424.jpg

Ok, I've owned a PM9 and a P3AT so not the same kind of comparison, but here's a long term look at the companies or at least my experience with them.

Kel-tec's customer service is head & shoulders above what Kahr offers. If you're not the original owner or had the gun for 10+ years Kel-tec will do whatever they can to make you happy. Kahr on the other hand, in my experience, has a much more limited warranty and once it's beyond that or you're not the original owner then tough luck. Buy the parts from them and install them yourself or pay a gunsmith to do it for you. IMO, There's a lot of trust that goes into a firearm when the manufacture stands behind it as firmly as Kel-tec does.

I don't currently own either gun anymore, but the reasons are different for each. The P3AT was just too tiny for me and no fun to shoot. I would buy another Kel-tec though (waiting for that high cap .22lr!). The PM9 was a very nice gun and was finished much better than the P3AT, but it was past it's warranty and probably had 5000 rounds through it (I'd already had to replace the recoil spring & mag release). I was afraid that if something serious like a cracked slide or frame occurred I'd be stuck with it. That alone is the reason I'll never own another Kahr. If they backed their stuff like Kel-tec or Glock or S&W or even Hi-Point does then they would totally have my attention.

I know that others have had much better experience with Kahr, but as far as I know they've been recent owners with less than 3 years owning the gun.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I'll make my second obligatory PF9 comment for the day and say mine was a piece of junk.
    What exactly was wrong with it not trying to be rude I am just curious. I have a PF9 now and I can say the first 100 round were brutal but I took it home cleaned and lubed it and it has been fine since. Kel tec says there is a break in period for them.

Ron
    Over 800 flawless rounds through my PF-9, including Federal, WWB, Blazer and Fiocchi FMJ, and Speer Gold Dot JHP. Never owned or shot the Kahr, so can't comment on it.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links