What's the best defensive ammo for a Springfield EMP in 9mm?

What's the best defensive ammo for a Springfield EMP in 9mm?

This is a discussion on What's the best defensive ammo for a Springfield EMP in 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi there. I recently was given a Springfield EMP in 9mm for my birthday. (My husband rocks!) I'm carrying it every day, but can't find ...

Talking What's the best defensive ammo for a Springfield EMP in 9mm?

Hi there. I recently was given a Springfield EMP in 9mm for my birthday. (My husband rocks!) I'm carrying it every day, but can't find a defensive ammunition that will feed. I've tried Federal Hydrashok, Remington Gold Saber, and Winchester Ranger. All three of these rounds hang up on the bottom edge of the feed ramp. The Rangers are the best of the three, but I don't trust them to carry because I'm still getting an average of 3 failures to feed per magazine.

For now, I'm carrying ball ammo (Winchester - white box), which feeds perfectly 100% of the time. I'd like to find a good hollow point. Any feedback and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm spending a fortune trying to figure this out myself. However, anything will feed in my M&P - so all is not lost. One can never have too much ammo!
    May the name of Christ be exalted in all things,
    Colleene Barnett
    Keeping the Piece: Ladies Only Concealed Carry and Basic Pistol Training
    www.KeepingthePiece.com
    Looking for a clever gift for the lady shooters in your life?
    http://www.zazzle.com/keepingthepiec...51718878453391

Corbon Powerball 100 grain, or Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket in 105 grain or 124 grain weights.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepingPiece View Post
    Hi there. I recently was given a Springfield EMP in 9mm for my birthday. (My husband rocks!) I'm carrying it every day, but can't find a defensive ammunition that will feed.
    Ah, you have put your finger on an important point about certain guns: no two guns are exactly alike. If you're having a bit of trouble finding a given defensive (JHP) round that will cycle reliably in your specific gun, be aware that there are numerous others who are having a similar issue. The catch is, very likely each of them is having a slightly different list of ammunition failing to cycle correctly. It's not as though all guns have a specific given amount of "slack" or percentage that they're out of tolerance. Reality is, since the molds and tools used to craft firearms wear over time, every single gun that's made has a slightly different profile with respect to what ammo will work or not work with that specific gun. Neat, huh?

What that means is that you'll need to essentially find your own answer, since your gun is unique enough that others' lists will likely not exactly match up with yours. Start with input from others, sure, but realize that you'll need to fully evaluate the suggested rounds anyway, to ensure they work with your specific gun.

Tip: 1911's are generally known for being a bit finicky here and there with respect to ammunition. 3" varieties of 1911's, particularly so. Keep that in mind when evaluating ammunition for carry. You might well not find a perfect round in your first handful of attempts. With tuning and wear over time, possibly with a few parts swaps to assist in the effort, you'll eventually find the right ammo for that gun.

You might consider contacting the Springfield Armory customer service group, to get the inside scoop on what type of street ammo they have found to work fairly well with the EMP 9. Unknown whether they use factory ammo choices, or some "in-house" brand that is deemed to be more finicky than most, on the belief that if the gun will feed that stuff then it'll feed factory rounds.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm still getting an average of 3 failures to feed per magazine.
    I have Kimber Ultra CDP II in 9mm. it looks like it was made in the same factory as the EMP.

3 FTFs per magazine is a HUGE failure rate. If ball ammo is cycling fine, run about 200 rounds of ball through it before trying your SD ammo again. I had some FTFs, then FTE's with my Kimber, and wouldn't carry it because of the failure rate. However, mine was one every three magazines or so. Not three per magazine.

I had a good pistolsmith work over my Kimber and it's back to running like it should. I ran 200 rounds down range today, and it ran like a champ. My SD ammo is Speer Gold Dot (great price on 500 rounds from ammoman.com). Today I shot two magazine of SD, and was slipping one or two SD rounds into each magazine to make sure it would feed OK. Everything went well.

This probably isnt the answer you were looking for but... If I got a EMP and it wouldn't feed the majority of hollow point rounds it would be on its way back to Springfield Armory. I'm not sayin...I'm just sayin...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Yep, to add to the crowd... give Springfield Armory a call. Their customer service is top-notch, and I bet your gun will get a round-trip, expenses-paid trip back to the factory. My 18 year-old 1911 got a new barrel, bushing and sights - gratis - a year ago after I told them the gun shot 3" low since it was new.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I have a Springfield Loaded Champion that would not feed JHP. A quick call to SA and they sent me a prepaid shipping label and RMA number. Had the gun back in about a week. They polished the feed ramp, reamed the chamber and tuned the extractor. No further difficulties with it. Give them a call and get it working properly.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I am truly sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Springfield EMP. I have had a hankering to own one ever since they first came out. Sounds like the feed ramp needs polishing, that it is just rough enough to cause the jhps to hang up occasionally. Like all of the rest on here have said before, you should send it back to the factory for warranty repair. I think anytime you pay over a thousand dollars for a pistol, the sucker ought to work everytime ....PERIOD!

Another possible solution if you do not care to go through the hassle of waiting for your pistol while it is being examined, is to try Corbon's Powerball ammunition. A cartridge that has the feeding characteristics of a FMJ round and the expansion dynamics of a JHP like what MitchellCT has suggested. Please keep us posted as to the outcome of your new pistol.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    They polished the feed ramp, reamed the chamber and tuned the extractor. No further difficulties with it.
    One would think that manufacturers desirous of a name for building "quality" products would do these sorts of steps themselves. Heck, given the capabilities of automated sensing/testing equipment these days, it should be possible to determine the margins of tolerance that a given unit is off from the standard "perfect" feed path. As it stands, now, either a guns are made with marginal accuracy tolerances built-in or they tend to be finicky. There's got to be a better way.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

GM
    I do not own an EMP, but I like Cor-Bon DPX 115gr
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Don't give up on your emp. Do what others have suggested... give Springfield a call. Their first-rate gun smiths will tune so it feeds everything everytime.
    They did it for mine. A 1000+ rounds...it's been perfect. Don't give up on your emp.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Ranger T ammo has a projectile with a long SKINNY nose and it can be a little finicky to feed in some pistols. Suggest you consider polishing the feedramp between the magazine and chamber. This should help. Also, lock the slide back for a day or two just before going to the range and see if there is any difference.

Federal's new HST in 147-gr. has a WIDE nose for a bullet that is almost like a FMJ, but with a deep hollow cavity. This round should feed better than normal in most weapons.
    Aim for the Thoracic Triangle Area between the armpits and the base of throat.

1. Shot Placement: Center Mass Between the Armpits & Base of Throat
    2. Heavy for Caliber Bullet Weight / Construction
    3. Choice of Caliber

Thanks to all of you for such helpful and insightful comments. I think I will give SA a call. As much as I hate to let it go, I'm thinking a trip back for tune-up is in order. I'm definitely not giving up on it...I love this gun.
    May the name of Christ be exalted in all things,
    Colleene Barnett
    Keeping the Piece: Ladies Only Concealed Carry and Basic Pistol Training
    www.KeepingthePiece.com
    Looking for a clever gift for the lady shooters in your life?
    http://www.zazzle.com/keepingthepiec...51718878453391

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    One would think that manufacturers desirous of a name for building "quality" products would do these sorts of steps themselves. Heck, given the capabilities of automated sensing/testing equipment these days, it should be possible to determine the margins of tolerance that a given unit is off from the standard "perfect" feed path. As it stands, now, either a guns are made with marginal accuracy tolerances built-in or they tend to be finicky. There's got to be a better way.
    I agree wholeheartedly. Yet, I needed these same tweaks to get my Kimber to run effectively. I don't understand why that isn't a factory requirement.

Hi there. I recently was given a Springfield EMP in 9mm for my birthday. (My husband rocks!) I'm carrying it every day, but can't find a defensive ammunition that will feed. I've tried Federal Hydrashok, Remington Gold Saber, and Winchester Ranger. All three of these rounds hang up on the bottom edge of the feed ramp. The Rangers are the best of the three, but I don't trust them to carry because I'm still getting an average of 3 failures to feed per magazine.

For now, I'm carrying ball ammo (Winchester - white box), which feeds perfectly 100% of the time. I'd like to find a good hollow point. Any feedback and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm spending a fortune trying to figure this out myself. However, anything will feed in my M&P - so all is not lost. One can never have too much ammo!

I had the EXACT problem with my SA EMP. And let me tell you, they have GREAT service. Upon calling to inform them, I sent my EMP in with no shipping cost, and they fixed the problem! They polished feed ramp, changed rod, several other things pertaining to the performance of my gun. And I got it back and it's been performing flawlessly. I got it back the next week, again with no cost. They really take their lifetime warranty seriously. I've been cycling Golden Sabers in mine, but am considering switching to Winchester Ranger T-series, or PDX1. Best of luck and hope SA solves your issue, and that you didn't part ways with it because it is a GREAT gun.

Links