APEX DCAEK installation and measured before and after pulls - it depends... - Page 2

APEX DCAEK installation and measured before and after pulls - it depends...

This is a discussion on APEX DCAEK installation and measured before and after pulls - it depends... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tangle You would ask that - would you believe I didn't measure the stock reset travel . Your killin me tangle! In ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: APEX DCAEK installation and measured before and after pulls - it depends...

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    You would ask that - would you believe I didn't measure the stock reset travel .
    Your killin me tangle!

In all seriousness though... I'm more interested in your overall opinion of the RAM kit. You stated that the stock trigger reset on the M&P is abysmal. I 100 percent agree with you. After you get some trigger time behind it I'll be waiting your thumbs up or thumbs down with bated breath :) No pressure by the way...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Tangle,

Let me know as well, I am curious. Randy Lee at Apex is excellent to talk to as well.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Moderator
    LOL - it's killin' me too Rollo . Hmmm, I wonder what it says about us if we get this excited over a gun mod?

I hope to get that 'overall opinion' this afternoon. I'll either post an update here or maybe in a new thread. I'll be shooting a Gen 2 Glock I've done some work on as a familiar reference along with the M&P.

Good to know C_Hawk; for some reason, I've always got Scott when I call Apex.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Moderator
    arrrrr!!! I had to take a group of students over to the Chickamauga Hydro plant and explain the switchyard to them - right in the middle of the afternoon. So guess what that knocked me out of doing?

But, I'm rescheduling the Glock/M&P shoot for tomorrow afternoon now.

Wow...a whole lotta effort to turn a M&P trigger into a Glock trigger. Coulda just gotten the Glock from the git go...

Sorry...just yankin' your collective chains a little bit. I do love the Glock trigger and trigger reset though...makes multiple shot strings just stupid fast.

Hope you get the results you're looking for!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Wow...a whole lotta effort to turn a M&P trigger into a Glock trigger. Coulda just gotten the Glock from the git go...
    Don't think for a minute I haven't been thinking that myself. Actually I have a number of Glocks. The thing is, a Glock around here is selling for $499; the M&P for $549, then add the $90 trigger mod, and the $23 reset enhancement and you could have bought a Glock and a bunch of ammo. But I have to do stuff like that - I'm an engineer - I have no choice

...Sorry...just yankin' your collective chains a little bit.
    Hey man, you ain't yankin' my chain, I've stated numerous times that Glocks have the best reset of all guns.

In fact, you know the real reason I don't just carry a Glock? It's not because it's a 'block', a Glock fits my hand like a glove. But, during fast draw and fires, I have experienced trigger blocks more than once.

I know what's happening, I'm starting to pull the trigger before my finger is fully on the trigger where it should be. So I'm putting lateral force on the little trigger thingy, forcing it up against the left side of the trigger groove and it sticks there. I've never heard of anybody else having this problem, so I know it's me.

I could attempt to retrain my finger, but I've found re-training to be iffy. It is extremely difficult to break ingrained habits. Not to mention it takes forever time-wise.

...I do love the Glock trigger and trigger reset though...makes multiple shot strings just stupid fast.
    Exactly why I like the Glock trigger soooo much. I want as much stupid fast as I can get.

...Hope you get the results you're looking for!
    I think it's gonna be close.

Interesting. I've never heard of anyone having an issue with the Glock trigger safety.

I'm not a fan of the M&P trigger safety design - anything that catches the edge of the lower part of the trigger will fire the pistol. With the Glock (and similar) designs, you would need to get something all the way into the trigger guard to defeat the trigger safety - though it has happened.

I suppose you could just remove the trigger safety thingy on one of your Glocks, and maybe install a different spring to increase the trigger pull weight for safety's sake - but then you change the trigger feel. Or you could just be really really careful with it...

Anyway, good luck!
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    Interesting. I've never heard of anyone having an issue with the Glock trigger safety.
    Me either .

...I'm not a fan of the M&P trigger safety design - anything that catches the edge of the lower part of the trigger will fire the pistol. With the Glock (and similar) designs, you would need to get something all the way into the trigger guard to defeat the trigger safety - though it has happened.
    That is true, but it's also true for some other guns one wouldn't imagine perhaps, e.g. any DA/SA and 1911s. At first thought it would seem that these are the most resistent to a snag fire as it can get. But I have seen any number of DA/SAs holstered in the cocked condition, I even did it once, and several 1911s holstered with the thumb safety off. How does it happen? Distraction, in the cases I've seen they've occured in schools (SD) I've been to. It seems as the stress levels go up or the pace speeds up, people, even seasoned, tend to get distracted.

But I know what you are saying and I do agree completely with you, but my comments were to point out other guns can be equally dangerous.

In fact, based on what I've seen, and heard about, the training dogma of holstering your gun without looking at your holster is just wrong. From your post and this one, we can see there is an increased risk of a snag discharge during the holstering process. Holstering is an act that should be done slowly and deliberately and I look at what I'm doing.

The SD school dogma is you have to be able to holster while watching for threats. If I'm watching for threats, why am I holstering?

...I suppose you could just remove the trigger safety thingy on one of your Glocks, and maybe install a different spring to increase the trigger pull weight for safety's sake - but then you change the trigger feel. Or you could just be really really careful with it...

Anyway, good luck!
    I have considered breaking (rounding the squared edges slightly) the edges of the trigger channel, but you can't get to it because the thingy is in the way and it is installed with a one-way press fit pin so you can't take it apart.

Agree 100% - if I am scanning for threats, it means there are still possible threats. Why would I holster in such a situation? You may be in a hurry to get the gun into play, but holstering should always be a careful, slow process. And I agree...LOOK at/into the holster before you shove your gun into it!

You also touched on why I like DAO, and dislike SA and DA/SA pistols. Lots of people forget to decock their DA/SA when holstering, and lots of folks forget the safety when holstering a SA pistol. This is especially true when under stress, like you would be after just having shot someone in self defense.

I would imagine you could disable the trigger safety thingy (that's the technical term) on a Glock in a few minutes with a small file. You file off the nub that catches the frame, and you render it disabled.

Of course, I in no way advocate doing that...consult a trainer...don't blame me if you are an idiot and go and shoot yourself in the buttocks...guns can be dangerous...blah blah blah... (Gotta love those disclaimers...hee hee)
    Last edited by 10thmtn; November 11th, 2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: add comment
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    Agree 100% - if I am scanning for threats, it means there are still possible threats. Why would I holster in such a situation? You may be in a hurry to get the gun into play, but holstering should always be a careful, slow process. And I agree...LOOK at/into the holster before you shove your gun into it!
    Absolutely!

...You also touched on why I like DAO, and dislike SA and DA/SA pistols. Lots of people forget to decock their DA/SA when holstering, and lots of folks forget the safety when holstering a SA pistol. This is especially true when under stress, like you would be after just having shot someone in self defense.
    '...like you would be after just having shot someone in self defense..." Exactly! In addition, one could wind up holding someone at gunpoint with a SA trigger. That could be a very touchy situation under stress.

....I would imagine you could disable the trigger safety thingy (that's the technical term) on a Glock in a few minutes with a small file. You file off the nub that catches the frame, and you render it disabled.

Of course, I in no way advocate doing that...consult a trainer...don't blame me if you are an idiot and go and shoot yourself in the buttocks...guns can be dangerous... blah blah blah... (Gotta love those disclaimers...hee hee)
    LOL! As much as I handle and shoot guns, I might as well just go ahead and shoot myself in the buttocks and get it over with .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links