The proper way to chamber a +1 round...

This is a discussion on The proper way to chamber a +1 round... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there anything dangerous with chambering a +1 round by locking the slide back, manually placing the round in the barrel, and releasing the slide ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The proper way to chamber a +1 round...

Is there anything dangerous with chambering a +1 round by locking the slide back, manually placing the round in the barrel, and releasing the slide hard?

Instead of pulling a round from the mag, then releasing the mag, putting a new round in the mag, reinserting the mag...?

That can damage your extractor.

Do it as you described, insert full magazine, chamber round, release magazine and top off with one more cartridge.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I don't believe there is anything dangerous in this practice. However, you may damage the extractor on some guns by doing so. Others, like the Beretta 92, are designed in such a way that it will cause no problem to do so.
    Visit my Winchester Ranger Talon page for current pricing.

I don't know the physics involved, but I would err on the side of caution and use the magazine as normal. If I am loading starting with an empty magazine, I put one in the magazine, insert it in gun, chamber it, then remove the magazine and load up. That way I only have to load the "last" and most difficult round into the magazine one time instead of twice.

However, I'm starting to not carry +1. I'm loading my magazine up full, chambering one round, and leaving at that. I believe that keeping the magazine topped off all the time is harder on them and they don't last as long. I think you get 2 to 3 times the life out of a magazine by it being loaded 1 or 2 rounds short of full. So I load mine full and just chamber the first round.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Thanks guys, I guess I see how the extractor could get damaged. Last thing I want to do on a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    However, I'm starting to not carry +1. I'm loading my magazine up full, chambering one round, and leaving at that. I believe that keeping the magazine topped off all the time is harder on them and they don't last as long. I think you get 2 to 3 times the life out of a magazine by it being loaded 1 or 2 rounds short of full. So I load mine full and just chamber the first round.
    - I had my Glock 27 magazines fulled loaded for over a decade when I stopped carrying it. I sold it last year to a friend who has fired several thousand rounds out of it. He hasn't had any issues with the magazines.

I don't know the physics involved, but I would err on the side of caution and use the magazine as normal. If I am loading starting with an empty magazine, I put one in the magazine, insert it in gun, chamber it, then remove the magazine and load up. That way I only have to load the "last" and most difficult round into the magazine one time instead of twice.

You read my mind.Ejecting the round that has just been fired,then pulling a round from a full magazine is more stressful then most would think.Its like knowing that you can drink a liter of water without stopping to take a breath,but you take a sip of water from the sink right before you drink that liter.

Glad to see most everyone carries +1 instead of wasting time racking the slide in a stressful event.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    ...Its like knowing that you can drink a liter of water without stopping to take a breath,but you take a sip of water from the sink right before you drink that liter...
    You lost me on that one.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Administrator
    With most of the heavy duty aftermarket hardened & tempered tool steel "machined from barstock" 1911 extractors you would not damage the extractor just by having it bump over the rear of the brass cartridge case but, the extractor should have the forward face nicely rounded and polished if you intend to do that.
    But, there is really no need to do it that way regardless.

I developed a habbit of chambering a round by locking the slide back, inserting loaded mag, and releasing the slide. Same way every time regardless of the design, brand, etc. of the semi-auto. Just the way I was taught from the beginning and stuck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    You lost me on that one.
    Ok.Lets say there is a maximum amount of water you know you can drink at one time,like the capacity of a magazine.You trying to drink more than your maximum amount of water is how some of these +1 chambers are like.

I'm still lost, but it's most likely just me. It doesn't take much anymore.

To me, if a magazine is designed and manufactured to hold 13 rounds, then you should be able to have one in the chamber and 13 rounds in the mag. Sure, the 13th round is more difficult to load in the mag and when at the range I don't bother with +1. Load mag, chamber, and go. Otherwise, I do as tkruf said and chamber well before the last round, but I do keep my mags topped off.

Not to divert too much to a magazine-life tangent - BUT I seem to remember reading a long thread in here somewhere about this very topic. The upshot was that with the modern steel used in most magazines, this is not really a problem, it's more of a long-standing myth. I tried it also myself, with a spare magazine for my circa-1992 S&W 3913 (single stack 8 rd 9mm) - kept this one mag fully loaded for a LONG time, more than 11 years (kind of accidentally, long story, it was "lost" for awhile in the bottom of an otherwise-empty gearbag -) anyway then I just stuck it in the gun and fired it one day.

It worked fine...anecdotal, of course, but there you have it.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    That can damage your extractor.

Do it as you described, insert full magazine, chamber round, release magazine and top off with one more cartridge.
    Exactly. The way to do it safely. I'd never attempt to place a round in the chamber on an opened slide anyway as opposed to stripping one off the top of the magazine. Not the way intended for any semi-auto pistol to my thinking. No matter what make and model.

VIP Member
    There is no substantial evidence, anywhere, that indicates loading a magazine to its designed capacity will damage that magazine in any way. Load them fully, and don't worry about it.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links