Polymer Pistols........how long ?

This is a discussion on Polymer Pistols........how long ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Colt Gov't 1911 ia 92 years old and my Colt Combat Commander is 35 years old and they both run like watches.......my question is, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polymer Pistols........how long ?

Polymer Pistols........how long ?

My Colt Gov't 1911 ia 92 years old and my Colt Combat Commander is 35 years old and they both run like watches.......my question is, what could someone expect the longevity to be on the new polymer guns. I believe over a period of time plastics / polymers break down due to factors such as continued use of solvents, UV rays, chemicals found in powder residues, cracking, etc. Could someone expect to see the years of longevity from these new pistols like we have witnessed from the steel frames of yesteryear.........?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The pistols from the early '70s are still going strong. The first polymer guns, which were made by HK, are still operating without reported frame problems, and some of them were fully automatic. Only time will tell how long the polymer guns last. I predict they will out live us all.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    My Colt Gov't 1911 ia 92 years old and my Colt Combat Commander is 35 years old and they both run like watches.......my question is, what could someone expect the longevity to be on the new polymer guns. I believe over a period of time plastics / polymers break down due to factors such as continued use of solvents, UV rays, chemicals found in powder residues, cracking, etc. Could someone expect to see the years of longevity from these new pistols like we have witnessed from the steel frames of yesteryear.........?
    I don't guess you're interested in selling it, eh?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

VIP Member
    Metal will decompose and break down quicker then plastic will. If you don't believe me, just burry them side by side for a year or two! haha
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Metal will decompose and break down quicker then plastic will. If you don't believe me, just bury them side by side for a year or two! haha
    LOL! Yeah. And I never leave my Glocks out in full sunlight for extended periods. Some chemicals will have the same or similar detrimental effect on plastics as well as steel or other alloys. Most anything can last indefinitely with proper care, maintenance, and replacement of mechanical parts. Polymer, steel, alloy, aluminum, all have their specific benefits in one area or another. The way the total package is put together, designed and engineered makes a big difference as well. It's pretty much give and take. Pros and cons to everything. I personally won't give any one single material or process the edge over another. I do know that rust is one of my favorite enemies, and certain plastics processes/materials can be made stronger than steel with a dramatic reduction in weight. Most materials can also be recycled now. Yesterday's steel and today's steel on comparison? My personal opinion? Yesterday's steel was of better quality. To remain competitive in today's market, manufacturing looks to cutting costs in many areas. Not only that, but the earth's natural resources have been used for a very long time, and depletion of one resource leads to alternative resources, or at least, diluting those resources to extend the supply according to demand. The human race has limitations, and it seems we are careful enough to never create something that cannot be destroyed. Sometimes designs are born out of destruction, and the destructive means made before the prototype. We'll never make anything perfect nor indestructible. It's just not in our nature to do so. Nature on the other hand is perfect in every way. We just think we're smarter. I'm just feeling a bit deep today. Don't mind me.

I seriously doubt that my Glock would last more than 500-600 years...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I seriously doubt that my Glock would last more than 500-600 years...
    You....and your heirs. That's peace of mind. Once we are gone, someone else will have to worry about our things. Anything that will obviously outlast me, I don't worry about much. I'll still maintain it simply for my use while still above ground. To what point that extends it's usefulness I'll never know.

I guess I just see this Polymer thing a method of lowering manufacturing costs and 'Planned Obsolescence"........I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    I guess I just see this Polymer thing a method of lowering manufacturing costs and 'Planned Obsolescence"........I guess.
    In that case you should continue to use the weapons you are comfortable with and that have served you well. That is the wonder of capitalism, so many choices! Sounds like you've made yours, and that you're happy with it. More power to you!

Administrator
    Acrylic polymer paintings that were painted by artists in the 1950's are still going strong with no deterioration. Just FYI.
    And polymers now are much better, more refined & tougher than the early polymers used back then.

My VP70 shoots fine, as long as my trigger finger strength holds up.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Acrylic polymer paintings that were painted by artists in the 1950's are still going strong with no deterioration. Just FYI.
    And polymers now are much better, more refined & tougher than the early polymers used back then.
    Maybe I should change my post to...800-900 years?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Steel or Polymer, are guns(if maintained) will out last all of us.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    Steel or Polymer, are guns(if maintained) will out last all of us.
    Proof of that is in my father's gun safe right now.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I guess you should also ask if you shot 1000 rounds a week through those Colt 19111s for 35 years if they'd still be functional, because the Glocks would just be getting broken in at that point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links