Ruger LCR Range and Ammo test Report

Ruger LCR Range and Ammo Test Report

This is a discussion on Ruger LCR Range and Ammo Test Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fired the new $369.00 Ruger LCR in 38 Special for the first time today at my local indoor range. It has one sweet trigger that ...

Thread: Ruger LCR Range and Ammo test Report

Thumbs up Ruger LCR Range and Ammo test Report

Fired the new $369.00 Ruger LCR in 38 Special for the first time today at my local indoor range. It has one sweet trigger that is superior to the S&W 637-CT with Laser Grips (single & double action) and shoots dead-on at 21' with Buffalo Bore's (BB) Standard Pressure 158-gr. FBI load.

Recoil, OTOH, recoil was noticeably more on the LCR with the factory supplied Hogue-Tamer finger grooved grips, probably because it weighs 15% less than the S&W. http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html

The Model #5401 LCR is a polymer framed unit and only weighs 13.5-oz. with a 1.875" barrel that retails for $525. The S&W 637-CT (aluminum stainless steel Airweight) weighs 16-oz. with Crimson Trace Laser Grips and 1.875" barrel (retails for $901), but recoil definitely felt about 15% +/- less (???).

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...3052_01_lg.jpg

I tried 3 different types of ammo in the LCR and each brand appeared to recoil the same, with the Buffalo Bore load yielding the tightest groups offhand at 1 1/2" by 2". The LCR was then put in a shooting vice and yielded the following results (after perfectly aligning the open sights and locking things down):

1. Federal Classic 38 Special +P 158-gr. LSWCHP (Item #C38G) grouped 4" low and 3" to the left at 21'.
    2. Speer Short Barrel 38 Special +P 135-gr. Gold Dot (Item #23921) grouped 2" low and 2" to the left at 21'.
    3. Buffalo Bore Short Barrel Standard Pressure 158-gr. LWC-HP (Item #20C) grouped dead-on left-to-right and 1/4" high (probably due to a warm barrel) at 21'.

For self defense, the wife uses the S&W 637-CT (with small exposed hammer & laser) with Speer Gold Dot 135-gr. or Federal 158-gr. +P FBI load. I have used this setup with a laser to shoot 1 1/8" ragged groups 1/2 dozen times while braising myself. Federal's 158-gr. load shoots within 1/4" of Speer's short barrel load with the laser.

The LCR will be a BUG and naturally stoked with Buffalo Bore's Standard Pressure Short Barrel 158-gr. since this load shoots to Point of Aim (POA) with the factory sights.

Out of the 3 types of ammo, I have concluded that they're all suitable for self defense and I would not hesitate to go into the ammo supply in storage for either load in either revolver.

Note: Shooting 148-gr. wadcutters in both snubnose revolvers is much funner / manageable for extended shooting time. If you bring your spouse to the range, let her shoot a larger 38 Special with the ***** cat recoil. Wadcutters offer the lowest recoil, then FMJ, and etc., so there's no harm in letting them shoot lighter recoiling loads in a snubnose.

When your life is on the line, recoil won't be felt and it won't matter.
    Last edited by 147 Grain; November 6th, 2010 at 07:58 PM.
    Aim for the Thoracic Triangle Area between the armpits and the base of throat.

1. Shot Placement: Center Mass Between the Armpits & Base of Throat
    2. Heavy for Caliber Bullet Weight / Construction
    3. Choice of Caliber

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    You did the right thing tetsing the different loads for yourself, in your handguns.

Thanks for the nice report. Good work.

surv

Good testing job. It seems that the 158 grain get the best POA/POI result from a short barrel
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Great range review.

I agree, the LCR is a excellent choice in a lightweight .38 option.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

GM
    Well done. Thanks for sharing.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I recently went to a range and rented the LCR and thought it was OK, but not great. I did an audio review of it http://www.handgunworld.com/?p=550

I know recoil won't be noticed during a fight, but during practice it sure is. I think it will make some people not like the gun if it's their first gun.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

I haven't had one issue with recoil out my LCR 357. I only shoot on the move, I do have some videos of me standing still for recoil purposes, cannot remember the last time I actually used any sight on any of my handguns. The LCR is a great weapon.

Sponsored Links