Sig Sauer P250c comments / range report

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer P250c comments / range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After much debate and talk on here an other forums I purchased a SIG P250c in 9mm yesterday. I went to Lawmens in Raleigh NC ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By skysoldier29

Thread: Sig Sauer P250c comments / range report

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

After much debate and talk on here an other forums I purchased a SIG P250c in 9mm yesterday. I went to Lawmens in Raleigh NC and used SIGs military / LEO discount to buy it $439 along with a spare mag. My first surprise when I got home was and unpacked everything that it came with an additional 3 magazines for it. My understanding was that it was only shipped with a single magazine, so I would pretty stoked about that. Today I took it to the local range and put 300 rounds through it just to see how it would shoot using both Federal Champion 115g FMJ and Speer Lawman 124g FMJ without a single failure of any kind. With all the talk and skeptics of this weapons and the early problems that were reported I half expected to see some malfunctions.

Fit and Feel

When I first picked it up I fell in love with the fit and feel of the gun. I have not as of yet found a gun that I truly love. I own, XDs, Glocks, 1911s, a few different revolvers that are all great guns and have functioned flawlessly, however none of them have been an extension of my hand. The feel of this thing is great and for my hand the trigger finger it reaches the trigger perfectly. The ergos for this thing is great which makes it very easy to go from either a holster or a low ready position and get on the sights very quickly. All the controls are very easy to reach and right where they need to be. This is a typical SIG brick just like the P226 / P229 but it is a bit lighter which might make concealed carry a little tricky for someone who normally carries a single stack or a smaller pistol. As I do carry G23 / G27s most of the time I think this will be no harder to conceal.

Operation

As stated above the controls for this pistol are right were they need to be and with it being a DAO there are only two controls slide lever and mag release that need to be worried about when it comes down to shooting the pistol. The sights are SIGs night sights where are typical 3 dot format which are very easy to pickup during daylight fire and from looking at the tritium inserts look like they will work just fine.

Trigger

Yes this is a DAO trigger and the pull is long. With that said the the pull weight is about 6 pounds according the the manual and is just butter smooth. There is no stacking that I can feel at all, and there is no clear cut way to stage the trigger. During the first 300 rounds I did just used a firm smooth pull on the trigger and found that it was more then adequate to shoot decent groups. "I base my shooting on combat accuracy more than I do shooting from a bench out to 25 yards to see what the gun can do. Never heard of any BG waiting for a cop / soldier or CPL holder to setup a shot on a bench." I found it pretty easy to adjust to this trigger as my primary weapons are either Glocks or DAO weapons LCP / LCR. Out to about 15 yards I was making very good groups off hand with this weapon without really having to stage the trigger. Comparing the trigger pull with my LCR, the SIG is just great. Just gotta put rounds down range to get used to the trigger pull just like you would with any other pistol. I don't see people who primary use single action systems really liking the trigger unless they want to completely change to a different system as I see it as a training challenge.

Maintenance

This is by far the easiest pistol I've seen to take apart and clean because the whole fire control system comes out so you can brush it off and clean it without any problems.

Recommendations

First I like the idea the P250 brings to the table with the adaptive nature of this weapon and that you should be able to put one together that will fit pretty much anyone. This is likely going to be the wave of the future for a combat style weapon, just like the current testing the Army is doing trying to find a new rifle that will replace the M-4. From reading the Army Times more than one rifle submitted for testing is adaptive in both fit and calibers. My initial recommendation would be take a good long look at this weapon for someone who is looking for a good home defense or concealed carry weapon. With the different grips calibers and triggers it can be setup for most any shooter and with the modulator make up of the weapon it can be easily setup for multiple people in a household IE "husband / wife" if one so chose to. I just see this as possibly being an answer to some peoples search for a good weapon to put against Glocks, M&P, Ruger SR9s and other SIG platforms. And no I'm not drunk or high by comparing this to a Glock or other SIG pistols, my first impression is that it is every bit as good as the others. Most gun makers have had problems at one point with some of their designs, and if SIG has gotten the P250 figured out I see it being a great choice. Also with the ability to reverse the mag release, this can be setup for a lefty to use their thumb to manipulate the controls on it.

I will post additional info on the P250 once I get some more rounds through it along with some HPs. I'll probably start carrying it once I get about 1000 rounds or so though it just to make sure everything is functioning properly. If I can get a good round count through it, the P250 will likely replace my G23 / G27 as my CC pistol as I will buy the P250 2sum so I can have two compete guns at any given time and the ability to change the sizes for carry and home defense.
    BradL likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Sounds good so far. I'm interested in your future reports.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Thanks for the report, and congrats on the new gun! I also have a Sig 250 Subcompact, in fact, I have two 250s. I started with a compact 9mm loved it, but I wanted a subcompact also and could not get an exchange kit. So, I ended up buying a complete Sub-compact. A couple of months ago, I got an ex-change kit for the compact in 45 ACP, and I have kept it in that configuration.

These two guns rose to the top immediately as my carry guns. I love the that they are light, compact, reliable, and free from unnecessary controls. I decided to get the 45 exchange kit when I visited my local range and asked about the reliability factor of the rental 250 45ACP. The owner told me it's got about 14,000 rounds through it, they clean it only once a month, and it never gives them any problems!

Go Sig 250!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Senior Moderator
    skysoldier29,

Good review!

I just bought a P250 compact 9mm Friday and I have to say that I concur with everything you said - fit, feel, trigger characteristics - everything. I too, have Glocks, Sigs DA/SA & DAKs, M&Ps, Berettas (92 and PX4), XD, and 1911s. I like the P250c as well, if not better, than any of them. Like you said, it will become my CCW as soon as I have the rounds through it to be satisfied with its reliability.

I took the P250 and my M&Pf with the APEX DCAEK trigger enhancement kit in it and shot the two side-by-side. I actually shot the P250 more accurately and just as fast although I didn't do any really high speed shooting.

I would just add that the sights on the P250 are excellent. You get daylight on each side of the front blade which helps with both accuracy and speed.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Good review and thanks for taking the time.

Good luck with it!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I know this thread is old but thanks for the review. I had a Sigma 40 on back ordered and I found out later it's going to be a long wait so I talked to my range officer since I paid for it in advance. He suggested a Sig P250c and I looked it up on the net. I liked what I saw and read the reviews. I told him let's go for it. I have to pay the difference and do the paperwork on Sat to keep the special sales going on there.

Dang, I can't wait.

Iam sure that you will enjoy it. With it being modular it could be fun mixing and matching different slides, calibers, and frame/grips !!! Please keep us updated. God Bless

** Go to this forum specific for the P250 and see some of the different creations that some people have created such as full size slide with compact and subcompact grip/frame, etc.

http://www.p250sig.com/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by WillyNilly View Post
    I know this thread is old but thanks for the review. I had a Sigma 40 on back ordered and I found out later it's going to be a long wait so I talked to my range officer since I paid for it in advance. He suggested a Sig P250c and I looked it up on the net. I liked what I saw and read the reviews. I told him let's go for it. I have to pay the difference and do the paperwork on Sat to keep the special sales going on there.

Dang, I can't wait.

KEWL! Thanks man. Have an ebeer on me.

sig p250 subcompact in .40cal is my carry and i truly love it. bought the magazine extender so i can run compact 13 rd mags in it. love everything about it. very accurate fits my hand well and its interchangability and customization is hard to beat. only problem is finding a good iwb holster for a lefty shooter. i carry on my left hip sometimesthe small of my back. but i am extremely happy with it. i was thinking of sellinga stepping to a glock 23 compact but may not now. i love my sig

I have an older 250 compact. With the old grip style. It is my CC weapon. I just got it and will be taking it to the range tomorrow. Can't wait to see how it performs. From everything I've read I'm looking forward to some flawless performance. My question is, does anybody know why SIG changed the grip style other than the style of the accessory rail? The rest of the internals of the gun is the same right?
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

Links