Looking for a .357 ruck gun

Looking for a .357 ruck gun

This is a discussion on Looking for a .357 ruck gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any suggestions on a sturdy inexpensive bang around .357 for a truck gun? So far I have been looking at the Ruger speed six. 3" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a .357 ruck gun

Question Looking for a .357 ruck gun

Any suggestions on a sturdy inexpensive bang around .357 for a truck gun?
    So far I have been looking at the Ruger speed six. 3" bbl or 4" would do it.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Ruger SP101 in 3" bbl or a Ruger GP100 in 4". Either one would be great options.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I believe that the GP100 is the new speed six, but I could be wrong...

+1 BugDude
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I second the Ruger SP101 3" w/hammer.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Ruger SP101 in 3" bbl or a Ruger GP100 in 4". Either one would be great options.

I love my SP101 but for a "truck" gun the 4" barrel and extra round of the GP100 would be my choice.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

For the truck, take your pick. Stainless is the best option if it stays in there as condensation can develop in cold weather as the truck warms up. Also all suggestions here are good, but if its kept in the truck a six inch barrel might be more versatile, depending on its primary or percieved use. Even a good used Taurus will do fine here. They are all good, you just have to narrow down the specifics.....of course the thinkin bout its part of the fun of buying a gun. Let us know what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
    Any suggestions on a sturdy inexpensive bang around .357 for a truck gun?
    So far I have been looking at the Ruger speed six. 3" bbl or 4" would do it.
    I think you just listed the perfect gun for your purpose! I have the stainless Ruger speed six with the 3" barrel and it is one of my absolute favorite guns. As a truck gun, I think having the six rounds instead of a five shot snubby is a better choice. Certainly nothing wrong with the five shot SP-101's. I have two of them and love them as well. However, as a gun for the vehicle, you're not necessarily looking for the smallest package possible. Three inch barrel is perfect length for inside a vehicle.

I got mine used when the U.S. Postal Inspectors traded theirs in opting for the Beretta 92 and we got a really good deal out of Shotgun News. We paid about $190 for a used but well maintained stainless speed six with 3" barrel and Hogue combat grips. We got a discount for buying more than five of them at once. One of my co-workers was an FFL and didn't charge us any mark-up either. Just kind of lucked into that deal, but you can still find them out there at a decent price.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I have the Ruger Security Six, same gun, different name in .357 mag, shoots great, no worry about it breaking down on me, i love it
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Going to local gun show next weekend and sure to find a used Ruger there.
    Been a long time since i had a revolver,it will stay in my truck so ss is what I
    need and love the speed six or sec. six,like older models,the SP101's are sweet
    too but I'm shopping for a low priced used .357 or even a charter .44 special will work.
    Thanks for the replies all!
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Ya know Taurus catches a good deal of grief around here, and for all I know they could deserve it. However, I picked up a Taurus 650 CIA .357 a few weeks back and so far with the three hundred rounds of full load .357 DR, I'm very pleased with it. It's very accurate and functions perfectly and it only cost a touch over three hundred and change. IMO, if and inexpensive revolver is on the menu, I can't see anything wrong with giving one of these revolvers a look. I carry mine everyday along with a LCR .38. I trust the Taurus to go bang equally, and sporting the .357 mag round, I have no doubts about the round or what launched it. YMMV

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I am also the proud owner of a Ruger Police Service Six .357 Magnum that was made in 1984. 4" barrel and blued finish. Still looks minty new. Not sure how much they go for now, but it's a great gun. The GP100 replaced the Speed Six/Service Six/Security Six line-up for Ruger.

rugerServiceSix357.JPG

If by "truck gun" you mean a weapon that you habitually leave in an unattended vehicle, I would seriously ask you to reconsider. A vehicle is easily broken in to, and the weapon is easily stolen. Even if you use a vehicle gun safe, the whole vehicle can be stolen in seconds, and the safe broken into at leisure.

In the military, it was drummed into us that YOU were responsible for the security of your weapon. Woe be it unto the soldier who lost his weapon, or who had it "stolen" by the drill instructors. To this day, I believe firmly that a weapon is either on your body, or in a sturdy safe in your home - preferably behind an alarm system of some sort. The ONLY exception to this rule is when you must disarm before going into a "gun free" zone...and even then, only for the briefest time possible.

"Truck" or "car" guns are just a really bad idea, IMHO.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Ya know Taurus catches a good deal of grief around here, and for all I know they could deserve it. However, I picked up a Taurus 650 CIA .357 a few weeks back and so far with the three hundred rounds of full load .357 DR, I'm very pleased with it. It's very accurate and functions perfectly and it only cost a touch over three hundred and change. IMO, if and inexpensive revolver is on the menu, I can't see anything wrong with giving one of these revolvers a look. I carry mine everyday along with a LCR .38. I trust the Taurus to go bang equally, and sporting the .357 mag round, I have no doubts about the round or what launched it. YMMV

I agree. Lots of positive feedback on Taurus revolvers. I have one of their semis and it's been flawless as well.

I'd rather see a Taurus get knocked around in a truck than a great classic six series Ruger

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Look for a used S&W 65 or 66 in good condition. Gunbroker.com and gunsinternational.com have dozens that you can choose from. There are a number of ex law enforcement guns that can be had for very reasonable money. But even commercial guns can be had at good prices, now that most people want semiauto pistols instead of revolvers.

You will end up owning a far better made handgun than a Ruger or Taurus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links