Feeding question on my M&P

This is a discussion on Feeding question on my M&P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seen multiple posts about "reliability". My M&P won't chamber about 3-4 rounds / box. These are lead rounds sold by the local shop, which appear ...

Thread: Feeding question on my M&P

Feeding question on my M&P

Seen multiple posts about "reliability". My M&P won't chamber about 3-4 rounds / box. These are lead rounds sold by the local shop, which appear to be reloads. So far, I've shot 40 jhp's and they've fired flawlessly. With the lead loads, the gun won't go to battery all the way with those couple per box. Some won't go at all, some go with some forward assist persuasion.

It's a .40 full size. Think it's just a matter of the rounds? The range I shoot on is a smaller range, tends not to approve jacketed rounds, so the lead loads are what I tend to go through. There's really only one range to shoot jacketed rounds around me, that charges a fortune. Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

I had a Combat Commander that had problems with lead round nose. Throating helped, but sometimes it still needed slammed in the back to finish chambering. It was definitely a pain in the butt when practicing, but it fed everything else OK so I didn't dwell on it. I knew what I was getting into to save a couple bucks.

My money is on the fact that these are reloads, possibly incorrectly resized, or the bullet is not seated deeply enough. That would be enough to keep me from using that brand of reloads ever again.

For your rounds that remain, what you could do is pull the barrel our of your gun and just chamber check each round. Do NOT do this by cycling rounds through the gun unless you're doing this over a barrel of sand (or similar)! Start with a brand-name round and note how far back the rear face of the cartridge sits, relative to the barrel hood - maybe mark the barrel with a marker. If any of the reloads sit more than about 1/16th of an inch beyond that mark, cull them out.

I have yet to actually see lead-bullet reloads in .40 S+W, but I haven't been looking, either. If your range unfortunately restricts you to lead and you're effectively forced to buy them there, then I think you need to speak to the range management about the difficulties your having with the ammo they sell.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    If, as everyone suspect, it is the ammo, I'd think long and hard before shooting their reloads again.

If they're slipshod with their OAL, it stands to reason they're slipshod in other areas of QC.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    My money is on the fact that these are reloads, possibly incorrectly resized, or the bullet is not seated deeply enough. That would be enough to keep me from using that brand of reloads ever again.

For your rounds that remain, what you could do is pull the barrel our of your gun and just chamber check each round. Do NOT do this by cycling rounds through the gun unless you're doing this over a barrel of sand (or similar)! Start with a brand-name round and note how far back the rear face of the cartridge sits, relative to the barrel hood - maybe mark the barrel with a marker. If any of the reloads sit more than about 1/16th of an inch beyond that mark, cull them out.

I have yet to actually see lead-bullet reloads in .40 S+W, but I haven't been looking, either. If your range unfortunately restricts you to lead and you're effectively forced to buy them there, then I think you need to speak to the range management about the difficulties your having with the ammo they sell.
    I had a bad box of reloads do this to me.. my bet is it is not the gun, ever since then no more reloads for me.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

It is definitely the reloaded ammo,sounds like they are belling the case mouth too wide to seat a bullet,and after crimping the bullet the case is too wide just below the crimp,or they are overcrimping and actually start crushing the case causing it to bulge out.I had the exact same problem when I started reloading several years ago.I would never trust those reloads again due to the fact that a good reloader has loaded enough ammo that they not only have their dies adjusted,but check their reloads with a chamber gauge to ensure proper dimensions,not sure how much your paying for reloads,but IMHO unless you personally know and trust a guy who reloads,go buy WWB ammo,might save you a blown up gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    It would be interesting to try the ammo in an XD or Sig? I'd like to say Glock, but the polygon rifling in Glocks doesn't like lead.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

TOF
    I shoot lots of lead in my M&P's. I don't currently have a 40 but did have and used enough lead to know it worked just fine.

Different bullets have to be loaded to different overal lengths dependant on their basic shape.

Your problem is undoubtedly the ammo characteristics.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

I should have been a bit more specific - sorry. They're actually coming from my local gun store, not the range. The range dictates lead only. I know this is going to sound dumb, but how do I know if they're reloads being sold, or new rounds? The casings are a few diff finishes/colors/material, so I'm 99% certain that they're reloads. Do they actually make lead rounds that are not reloads? It's rough, because all of the clubs have short indoor ranges w/crappy backstops, hence no jacketed rounds. The one range that does, doesn't monitor its guests, is a public range, and is...less than safe to go to. I guess I'll look around and see if I can find some different rounds or a place to shoot some jacketed rounds and see what happens.

Looking at the cartridge, it looks like they're ballooning a bit on most of them, and they're not seating all the way..I think. Will these damage my gun?

Thanks again!

Senior Moderator
    A cartridge with the mouth belled out a bit isn't likely to damage the gun (although it might be a bit hard on the magazine feed lips).

My point is that a loader who doesn't pay attention to OAL and crimp probably also doesn't pay that much attention to powder charges, etc.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I would speak to the range management or try to go to the local range which allows bullets othr than lead when it is less busy.

VIP Member
    Is it exposed lead? If so, they can cause even more problems then typical reloads. I have shot the heck out of reloads in my M&P's and not ever had an issue, but they have been good reloads. Do yourself a favor and buy some ammo at walmart. I would guess it would still be cheaper then range reloads.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    It would be interesting to try the ammo in an XD or Sig? I'd like to say Glock, but the polygon rifling in Glocks doesn't like lead.
    Oh if it were a P250 it would jam 8 out of 10 rounds!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Do yourself a favor and buy some ammo at walmart. I would guess it would still be cheaper then range reloads.
    The OP stated his range requires the use of lead bullets - i.e., no jacketed bullets. Ain't no such critter at Wal-Mart as .40 S+W non-jacketed ammo.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links