Quick question regarding a new Ruger LCP.

This is a discussion on Quick question regarding a new Ruger LCP. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys- Picked up a new Ruger LCP today, with a couple boxes of Blazer Brass (380 Auto, 95gr. FMJ), Haven't had a chance to ...

Hi guys-

Picked up a new Ruger LCP today, with a couple boxes of Blazer Brass (380 Auto, 95gr. FMJ), Haven't had a chance to shoot the gun yet. When I go to load the gun with a full mag (6 Rounds), once the slide is released to chamber a round it gets stuck and will not fully go foward. I would say about less than half inch of the slide will not go forward. The other thing is I noticed is when i cycle a round through the chamber it won't full eject, sometimes the slide gets caught between the round and chamber.

I was reading that other people are having similar problems, and they said to just work it in, but I don't know if i should take it back to the dealer and see if he can fix it.

Are you running into these issues hand cycling the rounds? If so, that may be the issue. I would test fire the gun first and see if the issue remains before going back to the dealer.

My LCP did not have these issues, but I always chamber a round using the slide stop. I also clean and lubricate my guns before shooting them for the first time.

Hope so, going to go to the range sometime this week. Thanks for the info

Definetly try some live fire at the range.

VIP Member
    I'm not familiar with this gun so this might sound like a really stupid suggestion, and maybe it is a stupid suggestion, but are you CERTAIN you are using .380 not 9mm? I know you stated it was 95 gr, .380 blazer. Is it really?

I know, you shouldn't be able to get a 9 mm into the magazine to start with, but strange things happen. One time I somehow had a .40 chamber from the magazine entirely backward, that is bullet pointing toward the rear of the gun and primer inside. I've no clue how that happened but the "obvious" implication is that I put it in the magazine backward and somehow it fed.

Double and triple check that your ammo is really .380, not just what it says on the box. Look carefully on the cartridge where it is imprinted about the primer.

I don't have an LCP, but I'd be very concerned if it wouldn't feed (and eject) the entire way, easily, straight out of the box. Before going to the range I'd maybe show it to the guy who sold it to you; sometimes two heads are better than one and he'll see the problem quickly. And maybe it just needs to go back to the manufacturer.

My ElsiePea required about 250rds to completely smooth out the action. The next 1000 or so have been fault-free. Like all Rugers, it is a top quality firearm. IHMO, for a poodle shooter, the LCP can't be beat. YMMV
    Rick

Gun owners' prayer:
    "Dear Lord; if I die please don't let my wife sell my gun collection...........for what I told her it was worth"

GM
    Congrats on the LCP. I hope the problem goes away.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Is it a brand new gun? Have you thoroughly cleaned it?

I have noticed that pretty much all Rugers come with tons of crap on them and they do need a good cleaning before shooting it. I picked up a new one a month or so ago and cleaned it as soon as I got home, you should have seen the towels I used to clean it!

Have never had one single problem with it and I've shot around 400 rds of various ammo through it.

Mine does the same thing. When inserting a mag and letting the slide go forward it some times hangs but I've never encountered the problem during live fire.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Links