FNP 40 as alternate to my primary carry - first impressions

This is a discussion on FNP 40 as alternate to my primary carry - first impressions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well friends, in my ongoing saga of finding an alternate to my Baby Eagle (long story - still looking for her sister), I picked up ...

Thread: FNP 40 as alternate to my primary carry - first impressions

Well friends, in my ongoing saga of finding an alternate to my Baby Eagle (long story - still looking for her sister), I picked up a virtually new 2007 FNP .40 - 4". Previous owner may have run 100 rounds through it.

Took it to a local indoor range (I hate line shooting) Saturday and not real impressed at this point.

I know a lot of this is me. I have had my BE since 06 IIRC and am probably at 7k+ rounds now. Suffice to say that since the BE is my only handgun that I shoot, I am used to her, and we have a good relationship with each other.

First 42 shots (3 mags) @ 25' at IDPA target (6" dia. center mass) were flat ugly. 10"+ group easy. These were slow controlled aimed shots that hit low and left.

Recoil was not as harsh as I expected with a poly gun as compared to others that I have fired in the past. More than my BE, but tolerable.

Second round of 42 were point shooting at same range, still slow fire and were slightly better (ergo first round was in part my bad) but still had a low left trend.

Third round were bench shots at same range, new target and same results - low left and huge group.

Ammo used was my reloads that I run through my BE. 180gr FMJ and a little on the hot side. I can hold a 4" group all day with her at that range without trying.

Other issues -
    *Not liking that decocker. My thumbs forward grip causes the decocker to be slightly depressed while shooting, and had 5 instances where the hammer followed the slide back to battery (did not fire thank god). If I place my thumb under the decocker, it is a bit uncomfortable, and I see a blister or cut in my thumb after extended shooting if I do this.

*Slide release - I don't know how it is possible with that itty bitty and virtually flush lever but on 4, shoot to slide lock, the slide did not lock back. I've done that a few times on my BE (huge slide release), I just have a hard time believing that I was hitting it, but I must have.

*Slide gouging under the "P" on left side. This is a known issue, and I figured it out before I even shot it. The take down lever is right under where your off hand thumb would rest (right handed shooter) and it does not take much to rotate it down and have the front of the lever ride on the slide. Yes, mine is now slightly larger than it was when I bought it.

I am not slamming the gun. FN has made a fine product by popular opinion (READ - hove not found any negative comments about the gun). It has a comfortable (for me) grip and though a little top heavy (poly frame) it was tied with the XD as compared to 15 other full size .40s that I have molested over the last week as far as an eligible alternate to my BE.

I know there is a break in period, and I have to get used to something different. I've shot friends pistols and had better shot groupings out of the gate having never fired that weapon before.

I picked up a Desantis leather holster (for a Sig - only one it fit in) and am doing a USPSA shoot today to give both of us a little more time to get to know each other. I just hope my BE is not the jealous type.

I will give an update this afternoon when I return.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Congrats on the new gun. I have only shot one during one range trip. A coworker of mine purchased a used one and we ran about 250 rounds with it. I'm a lefty so I can't comment on any grip issues, but it was a accurate gun. After shooting the standard 5, 10, and 25 yards we stretched it out to 40 yards just for kicks and it was still shooting pretty nice group.

Don't be discouraged, I'm sure some of what your dealing with is a break in issue and it will also take some time just to get used it.

I think after a few more range trips with just the FNP you'll be getting along just fine. I always have this problem when I pick up a new gun I expect to shoot the bullseye out just like I can with XYZ gun but they all take a little practice.

Well that was different. The USPSA is a whole 'nother style of shooting from the IDPA that I am used to.

None of the initial problems that I had from my first shooting trip returned which is good. I suspect that is because I was not focusing on grip, just relying on muscle memory for grip and general pointing at the target being engaged, and focusing on the targets.

I did have a new issue during one stage. The mags would not seat. I determined this to be attributed to my grip after I analyzed the problem when I got home. The mag release bar extends out on the right side (it is not an ambi release). Gripping it to tight would prevent the bar from extending and keeping the mag from engaging the locks. If I opt to keep it, that is going to have to get shaved down.

Accuracy is still not so hot. I don't know how I did overall as they were scoring and taping my targets before I even completed the stage. They spend so much time walking through and air gunning the stage that they rush through the scoring to keep things moving. I only know how I did on the last 1/4 of my targets. Some great, some flat ugly (one sketchy hit, and a complete whiff)

I still have the low left issue when I actually aim which is frustrating. I am going to have to have someone else shoot it to see if it is me or the sights need tweaked. My point shooting is still good as I had no problems with the standard steel poppers at 17 yards and the swinger (nice double tap in the Alpha which elicited a perplexed score announcement from the SO, READ - sounded like did not understand how I got it based on fixed target hits).

I know that there is still some more break in time and time to get used to it, but I need to baby it as much as I can to hold the resale value. I did some financial tweaking and have an XD-40 coming in this week (thank the gods the CFO [wife] is out of country for the month). Going to see which of the two I get along with best and sell the other. Just not encouraged by the "Market Value" with GunBroker as my base line. Neither of them are selling...especially the XD.

So back to carrying my BE this week, and will give the XD a go this coming Saturday at my IDPA match (weather permitting).

Still looking for the elusive Baby Eagle .40 full size. May consider a semi compact steel or poly.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    If the mag release is on the right, then the gun was probably set up for a lefty. The release can be switched. See here:

http://www.fnforum.net/the-idiots-gu...fnp-t1134.html
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

GM
    Congrats on the FNP 40. Enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    If the mag release is on the right, then the gun was probably set up for a lefty. The release can be switched. See here:

http://www.fnforum.net/the-idiots-gu...fnp-t1134.html
    The mag release depress is on the left, it is just that the other side of the mag release bar goes through to the right and extends past the grip when depressed, ergo when you insert a mag and it tries to force the mag release open to seat, gripping it to firm will not allow the mag to seat because the mag release bar is being stopped on the right side.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Sponsored Links