Lost some confidence in my S&W 340.

This is a discussion on Lost some confidence in my S&W 340. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My 340PD is having timing issues. Every 5th shot the trigger locks in place and I have to manually reset the cylinder. I brought it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost some confidence in my S&W 340.

Lost some confidence in my S&W 340.

My 340PD is having timing issues. Every 5th shot the trigger locks in place and I have to manually reset the cylinder. I brought it in to my department armorer who thought it was just fine, and then to my trusted local armorer - he could not find any issues mechanically, smoothed out the trigger some and tinkered with it. He called me back Friday and told me that he was at a loss, but was noticing the same thing that I had. It is now off to Smith and Wesson to have them take a look at it. I am not a happy camper to have my $1,000 gun malf ing with less than 1,000 rounds through it. Quit frankly I dont mind spending money on it - I am mostly annoyed that I am without my back up gun for several weeks.

Any thoughts? similar stories?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

2. Remove Ads

Your story only points out what many have said, "If it's mechanical, it can have problems." I have seen $2,500.00 guns brought back into the gun shop, attached to 'unhappy campers'.
    The good news is that if it's mechanical, the right gunsmith SHOULD be able to make it 'whole' again.
    Sorry for your frustration, I feel your pain...hope all is well soon.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What Ret said. It seems like gun problems rank right up there with toothaches and hemmorroids when it comes to being something that drives you crazy in a painful way. Sometimes its better to have 2 quality but less expensive guns that mirror one another than one real expensive gun.

Cool

What ret and glockman said plus this a perfect opportunity to buy a backup BUG. When life hands you lemons make some Mikes Hard Lemonade.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I've got a 642 Airweight that was doing the same thing, it's not as bad as it was but theres still a little lag when the trigger resets. I've oiled the trigger and it's getting better? is it ok to dry fire revolvers ? Good luck on the fix- USMC
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    Nonsense, don't you guys read the threads - revolvers don't have failures; they're more reliable than autos. Couldn't resist saying that but JUST KIDDIN" GUYS!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Its got to be a fluke.

Ex Member
    Is it the same chamber every time? That would indicate something with the cylinder. How about ammo? Does it happen with all ammo types? With hot ammo in a very light gun it could be a primer backing out. Please keep us posted and don't trust it till something is fixed, and you test the heck out of it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Expensive firearms can be like expensive cars. You drive your beater to work while the Ferrari sit in the garage. Great to look at, nice to try out once in a while, but too much time in the shop. But they can be a heck of a lot of fun!

Odd that it's every "5th" shot. I'm willing to bet S&W gets it straightened out. Then it will be time to take it out and run it hard.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Sending it back to S&W is a wise move. They usually have a very fast turnaround time. If they can't fix it you will probably receive a new gun.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I will keep every one posted. I pretty much only shoot .357 through her - 125 grain variety, plus some gold dot 135 grain short barrel loads. I have not checked the primers, but will when I get it back - nothing else indicating that it was an ammo thing. cheap ammo, old ammo, expensive ammo, new ammo... all seemed to do about the same. I certainly wish that my current financial situation allowed me to go get a new BUG for my BUG! I would be interested in picking up one of those LCR's.

Any how, until its put 3 or 4 hundred more .357's through her I just am not gonna have any level of confidence with her. The whole point in getting a revolver is that this was not "supposed" to happen! :-) live and learn eh? Well guess I will have to pay extra attention to my Glocks until then.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll let you all know when I get more info.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

i have a 340 a remember reading that you should check your ammo to make sure it is not letting the lead move forward out of the brass on these superlight guns. could this be the problem? like the 5th round.

That sucks. Not trying to rub it in, just feeling your pain. But on the bright side, sounds like you got a couple Glocks in your stable. The other, other, revolver!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Wha?! The world is going mad, I tell you. Up is down, black is white, dogs and cats sleeping together, revolvers that fail...

Don't feel too bad, two of our three LCPs have been back to Ruger twice (one is there now for repair).

The lesson is that, yes indeed, all things man made can fail. Two guns is one gun, one gun is no gun...

It just stinks that your revolver is so expensive. Maybe sometimes it's better to have two mid-priced guns than one high-end one? Just dunno anymore...

Hope you regain confidence in it! Good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Sorry to here about your S&W. I am sure they will make it right for you.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links