The new Sig 290 looks very interesting

This is a discussion on The new Sig 290 looks very interesting within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A small 9mm, 6 rounds, and looks pretty thin....

Thread: The new Sig 290 looks very interesting

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

The new Sig 290 looks very interesting

A small 9mm, 6 rounds, and looks pretty thin.

2. Remove Ads

A sig that doesn't weight 6 pounds and isn't 4 1/2 inches thick????!!!! Blasphemy!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

If by "interesting", you mean "ugly"..... I was scoping it out online a few days ago. I'm glad there is finally some PM9 competition. As ugly as it is, i'll have to fondle it in person to see if it'll find its way to the rotation

pics?

Quote Originally Posted by phone4 View Post
    pics?
    http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/Sho...&productid=307

It's definitely an interesting gun since it has removable grip panels, but it would have to be much better than my PM9 for me to take a serious look, especially since it's 6oz. heavier.

Just a couple of thoughts, although I am certainly no expert. It doesn't look like it would be comfortable to shoot at all, and I probably wouldn't use it as a primary, because I honestly doubt I'd enjoy shooting it enough to train with as a primary, but it certainly could have use as a BUG. From the picture I think I'd be able to get one finger on the grip. Of course I'd be interested to shoot it in order to find out. It's about 6 or so ounces heavier than an airweight j-frame, for 1-3 extra rounds.

Also, I think it is kind of odd that it has an exposed hammer, and is DAO. One would think they would either come up with like a striker fired or enclosed hammer design for DAO, or make it DA/SA, in order to maintain a better trigger pull (Sig obviously has some good DA/SA pistols). I'm no expert, but that seems like something out of the ordinary for me, especially with the kind of carry this pistol would see.

I'd be interested to shooting on, but just from looking at the pictures and reading on Sig's website, I don't think it would replace my j-frame as a BUG.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

That IS a nice looking gun, but I'd still wait until it's been on the market for at least a year before considering it as an addition to my collection.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Given that SIG has the former Kimber General Manager on staff (http://www.sigsauer.com/AboutUs/Mana...s.aspx?BioId=2) and this little gem here...http://www.defense-training.com/quips/18May10.html...

I'm not too excited about anything SIG has to offer anymore.

They will have to prove it to me before I dole out the $$.

GM
    Nice, but will it be better than the PM9?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Capacity. Is it 6+1 or 5+1?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Personally, I like the size...and, it is a SIG...eh? DAO is another plus in my book. Since I like my revolvers, the DA/SA triggers throw off my trigger skills constantly. I presently carry the Glock 26...and, this SIG looks like it might just fit the bill.
    It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. Thatís what itís all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

IMHO, it looks really nice. But the stock looks like it'll be way too short for my oversized hands.
    The specs say mag capacity will be 6-8, so am I too assume an extended mag will be available?!
    No price as of yet?
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I think I'll pass on this Sig, my PPS is very nice.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Also, I think it is kind of odd that it has an exposed hammer, and is DAO. One would think they would either come up with like a striker fired or enclosed hammer design for DAO, or make it DA/SA, in order to maintain a better trigger pull (Sig obviously has some good DA/SA pistols). I'm no expert, but that seems like something out of the ordinary for me, especially with the kind of carry this pistol would see.
    Hammer gives double strike capability. Also, you can reholster with your thumb on the hammer to ensure you aren't snagging the trigger on your shirt or anything.

Senior Moderator
    buckeye,

Just a couple of comments if I may.

... It's about 6 or so ounces heavier than an airweight j-frame, for 1-3 extra rounds...One would think they would either come up with like a striker fired or enclosed hammer design for DAO...
    Speaking of discomfort and short grips, and horrenous recoil, those airweight j-frames are about as bad as it gets. I know, I have one and much prefer the SS model 60. Plus, since you mentioned revolvers, they have exposed hammers. You can get enclosed hammers, but many prefer exposed hammers on revolvers. That's so they can shoot them in single action only. Don't know what they'll do if they had to use a DA revo for SD.

But if you have an enclosed hammer, you have a DAO gun.

...or make it DA/SA, in order to maintain a better trigger pull (Sig obviously has some good DA/SA pistols).
    But, Sig 239, 229, 226 DA/SA guns have a long, 10-11 lb pull in DA, the first shot we'd have to make in a fast deployment situation for SD, where DAO guns, both the P250 and DAK triggers, have only about a 6 lb trigger pull, hardly any longer, if sny at all, than the DA mode of a DA/SA.

And, if you are going to shoot your j-frame in DA mode which is what every SD school I've been to teaches, the DA pull and length on a j-frame is every bit as long and heavier than some DAO guns. S&W's latest offering, the Body Guard 38 is a DAO with an enclosed hammer. It's trigger will have the very same, if not worse, characteristics of a DAO semi.

Karh, Kel-tek and a number of other manufacturers have made DAO semis long before Sig's P290.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Links