M&P 40c mag eject/misfeeding problem

This is a discussion on M&P 40c mag eject/misfeeding problem within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I have just noticed this recently and have never had it happen to me before. But every now and then while shooting my 40c ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok, I have just noticed this recently and have never had it happen to me before. But every now and then while shooting my 40c the magazine will try to eject and it will cause the weapon to misfeed a round.

I tried my magazine in a buddies gun and it didn't do it, and I tried his magazine in my gun and it didn't do it. It will only do it while using my magazine in my gun, and it only does it with the finger extension mag not the flush one.

Any input??

This happened to my 15 year old son while we were shooting a M&P 40c at the range last week (a rental). But I think it was him (inexperienced shooter) hitting the mag release with his thumb. It didn't happen to me, and as a matter of fact, I was so impressed shooting the 40c that I just bought one yesterday!
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

If the problem is isolated to that one magazine in your gun, I guess I would look closely at that particular mag. If it's an aftermarket mag (ProMag in particular!) there's reason to suspect some out-of-tolerance dimensions, such as the size and location of the slot in the mag where the mag release engages. If it's an OEM S&W magazine, giver their customer service folks a shout and see what they'll do for you.

Sometimes the add-ons (like the popular Pearce mag extensions for Glocks) have problems like molding 'flash' or less than ideal dimensional tolerances that create problems in a small population of the guns for which they are intended. Your observation underscores the reason to check out all your gear before you need it in defense of you or your loved ones.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

My friend had this issue, it was because she was hitting the mag release by accident.

How often is the problem occurring with that bad magazine? And has it happened to anyone else while shooting your gun with that finger extension magazine, or to you or anyone else while trying that magazine in a different gun.

I think its either a mag related issue, along the lines of what gasmitty said, or a shooter issue and you are accidentally hitting the mag release after the shot (your grip could be slightly different due to the mag extension and make you hit the release), like javahawk said.

So I'd suggest trying to eliminate as many options as possible and figure out which one is problematic, if the magazine runs fine when someone else shoots it in your or their gun, its probably you. If the magazine malfunctions with another shooter shooting it in your gun and their gun, its probably the magazine.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    How often is the problem occurring with that bad magazine? And has it happened to anyone else while shooting your gun with that finger extension magazine, or to you or anyone else while trying that magazine in a different gun.

I think its either a mag related issue, along the lines of what gasmitty said, or a shooter issue and you are accidentally hitting the mag release after the shot (your grip could be slightly different due to the mag extension and make you hit the release), like javahawk said.

So I'd suggest trying to eliminate as many options as possible and figure out which one is problematic, if the magazine runs fine when someone else shoots it in your or their gun, its probably you. If the magazine malfunctions with another shooter shooting it in your gun and their gun, its probably the magazine.

I tried my magazine in my buddies M&P 40c, nothing. Then I tried his mag in my gun, nothing. Then I put my mag back in my gun and tried it, misfeed. I was thinking at first I was just hitting the mag release since I haven't shot it in awhile but I changed my grip and was still doing it. I am going to have to get some more range time and see what the problem is.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    How old is your M&P? Early ones had some issues with dropping mags, but that was early ones. It sounds like (eliminating human error) that there's some slight misalignment with that one mag and your gun. I'd clean the mag and mag release and give it another try before calling in the big dogs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I have never seen issues with dropping mags in my three M&P's, you may want to call S&W. They are great with customer service.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Try shooting it in your other hand and see if it happens. I think you're hitting the release.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Does it happen part way through the mag?

If so, you may have an out-of-spec follower, and possibly an out-of-spec mag catch. When the follower rises up in the mag, it might push on the mag catch just enough to loosen it...add the downward pressure from the Pearce extension, and your mag pops loose.

I'm having what I think is the same issue with two of my LCP mags. One reason I prefer the Glock mags (polymer-wrapped steel) to all-steel mags.

Hope this helps...keep us posted.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    How old is your M&P? Early ones had some issues with dropping mags, but that was early ones. It sounds like (eliminating human error) that there's some slight misalignment with that one mag and your gun. I'd clean the mag and mag release and give it another try before calling in the big dogs.
    I've actually had this gun for a LONG time. I bought it when the M&P's first came out so it is in fact one of the early ones.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

If so, you may have an out-of-spec follower, and possibly an out-of-spec mag catch. When the follower rises up in the mag, it might push on the mag catch just enough to loosen it...add the downward pressure from the Pearce extension, and your mag pops loose.

I'm having what I think is the same issue with two of my LCP mags. One reason I prefer the Glock mags (polymer-wrapped steel) to all-steel mags.

I think it pretty much happens at the beginning of the mag and within the first 3-4 rounds. After that I didn't notice any problems. Funny thing is that it shoots just fine with the flat bottom mag. I'm gonna try to get some more range time in this Sunday and see if anything changes.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinG View Post

I think it pretty much happens at the beginning of the mag and within the first 3-4 rounds. After that I didn't notice any problems. Funny thing is that it shoots just fine with the flat bottom mag. I'm gonna try to get some more range time in this Sunday and see if anything changes.
    You may be gripping the gun differently, due to having the finger rest. That could potentially account for you accidentally pressing the mag release.

You could switch out the bottoms of each magazine, and then see if the same mag malfunctions, or if the other one then fails with the finger rest being on it.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I have never seen issues with dropping mags in my three M&P's, you may want to call S&W. They are great with customer service.
    I don't think this is what he should do next. It sounds like human error to me. or just the one mag is not the right size.
    OP Make sure you:
    1.) are using store bought ammo not reloads.
    2.) pushing the mag in so it seats properly (once you put it in, try pulling on it from the bottom to see if it wiggles lose or comes out)
    3.) and last make sure don't hit the mag release while shooting it.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

This is a very probable explanation as well.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I don't think this is what he should do next. It sounds like human error to me. or just the one mag is not the right size.
    OP Make sure you:
    1.) are using store bought ammo not reloads.
    2.) pushing the mag in so it seats properly (once you put it in, try pulling on it from the bottom to see if it wiggles lose or comes out)
    3.) and last make sure don't hit the mag release while shooting it.
    This actually may be the answer, I forget that not everyone would think to really seat the mag hard when reload like I do.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links