Springfield Armorary EMP9 or Kahr PM9

This is a discussion on Springfield Armorary EMP9 or Kahr PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that there are pros and cons to each gun. I like the idea of no external safeties on the Kahr, but I like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armorary EMP9 or Kahr PM9

Springfield Armorary EMP9 or Kahr PM9

I know that there are pros and cons to each gun. I like the idea of no external safeties on the Kahr, but I like the SA of the EMP. I've been carrying for 30 years on a daily basis and have never been in such a quandry as to what the next gun purchase is going to be. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Well, I own two Kahrs (K40, CW9) and three 1911s (a Kimber and 2 Springers), so I'm kinda conflicted.

Compared to the PM9, the EMP is bigger by about an inch in height and overall length, and it weighs at least a half pound more, but it also carries 2-3 rounds more. It's also about 50% more expensive. The PM 9 could serve as a pocket pistol (at the large end of the range), but the EMP is pretty much constrained to holster carry due to its size and weight.

But I'm going with my gut... if price was no object, I'd deliberate about 12 seconds and then pick the EMP.

If you need a tie-breaker, I think the consensus here in DC is that Springfield has outstanding customer service, whereas there are a number of war stories posted about problems with Kahr's service.

Let us know what you finally decide, and why!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

If you have a chance, you should shoot them both and decide which one you like better. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I was looking for a new small 9mm last year and I was also comparing the EMP and PM9. I don't own any 1911 style guns, but I do enjoy shooting them. In the end, I went with the PM9 simply due to it's smaller size and weight.

I have the PM9 not an EMP, but I would say PM9 because of it's smaller size/weight. Lower price than the EMP. I've also seen a few threads on here about reliability issues of the EMP. The 1911 design doesn't fare very well when set up for 9mm for some reason. JMHO
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

GM
    IMO you have to first decide if you want a DAO or SA; then you will know which one you should buy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

The emp has a sweet trigger. But it is more money.
    If money isn't an issue for you, buy one of each.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I have a PM9 and a Micro Compact GI.45, and I love them both, but they are definitely different guns. The GI.45 is only bigger than the EMP in the grip -- everything else is the same, barrel length, height, width, even weight is fairly close, and the PM9 is considerably lighter.

I generally keep the GI.45 as a truck gun, and carry the PM9. The things you need to consider are, as you noted, the safety and the desire to carry one in the chamber and ready to go. Sometimes I'll chamber a round in the .45, and then de-cock it, other times I'll chamber a round and set the safety, and sometimes I just don't chamber a round -- just depends on where I am and what I 'feel.'

Shoot them both, see what you like.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Once you practice with the PM9 you will find it to be accurate and easy to carry, I have liked mine from day one, best handgun purchase I have made. I am going to purchase a P45 or PM45 down the road when funds are available. I have a S&W 642 revolver so the double action trigger is what I prefer to CCW.

I have a Kahr (CW9) so I may be a little biased myself, although I do plan on owning a Springfield EMP someday, I say go with the Kahr PM9 if you are planning on carrying your gun in the pocket. Otherwise, if you are comfortable with the manual of arms of a single action auto, I would go with the EMP for waistband carry or in a slender shoulder holster under a loose fitting shirt or jacket. The EMP has a 9+1 capacity advantage versus the 6 or 7+1 capacity of the PM9, and besides, not that the PM9 is an ugly gun mind you, but the EMP is just downright purty and would be a cool one to have at a BBQ. Just my .02 worth.
    God bless our troops!

I can weight in on this one as I own both and carry both concealed. I owned the EMP 9 first and it was my EDC gun. It is very accurate, the trigger is awesome and feels great in my hand. I had Log Man customize a mag so it is flush with the bottom of the grip as well. I use a nice TT Gunleather IWB holster for it. Living in southern California and always in shorts and a T shirt I was looking for something smaller and bought the PM9. After shooting it enough to prove function (no issues at all with my PM9) I started carrying it this summer. I carried it more than the EMP because of the size and weight. I think the PM9 is about 10oz lighter than the EMP and when carrying that is a big difference. Now that it has cooled off some I find myself putting on the EMP more. If I had to only choose one I would choose the EMP because I can shoot it better. If I had purchased the PM9 first I would be very happy with it and probably would not have looked for another carry gun for the different seasons like I ended up doing. I am a gun enthusiast so regardless I will buy more whether I need them or not. LOL

EMP
    Pros- Accuracy,trigger, sexy, Springfield's customer service
    Cons- Price, availability

PM9
    Pros- Size, weight, price compared to EMP
    Cons- DAO trigger (compared to EMP)

EMP carry rig

EMP with flush Mag

PM9 Rig

I have shot the EMP more than a few times. It has a great trigger and is simply a looker. However I prefer my CW9 for concealed carry. Why, to me it is more compact, thin, reliable, light weight and the double action trigger while not as excellent as the EMP, is very smooth. I carry and shoot the CW9 well. I have other pistols I shoot faster, but they don't offer a combination of attributes that make the CW9 a great carry pistol for me! These issues are so individual and different for each person. Shoot safe everyone!

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I have the EMP in 9mm. When I carry it, it rides in a Galco Summer Comfort holster and 2 spare mags. in a TT Gunleather mag.holder. It spends most of its time in the gun safe because it's just too pretty. I'd hate to see it scarred with holster wear or scratched. For EDC I use my G-26. I can throw away 2 for what I paid for the EMP.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    The 1911 design doesn't fare very well when set up for 9mm for some reason. JMHO
    That comment is particularly true with regard to the full-size-framed 1911s, which the EMP is not. While it is clearly a 1911-pattern gun, the action was scaled down to the size and ballistics of the 9mm to get around the compromises encountered with making the classic 1911 run well with the 9mm.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    That comment is particularly true with regard to the full-size-framed 1911s, which the EMP is not. While it is clearly a 1911-pattern gun, the action was scaled down to the size and ballistics of the 9mm to get around the compromises encountered with making the classic 1911 run well with the 9mm.
    I had seen a negative comment here or there about them, but I guess it's like every other style/manufacturer you get some good ones, and some bad ones. They do look pretty though.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I have the PM-9 and the Springfield Micro (.45) The EMP wasn't out yet.
    IMO, both are too big for pocket carry.
    The EMP is expensive, the Kahr is pricy.
    I love the feel of my Springfield, it's a tad larger than the EMP.
    Both lay flat in IWB holsters.
    The Kahr is lighter and smaller.

If money was not a factor, I vote EMP. It's a joy to look at, the Kahr is a bit industrial looking, the EMP is art. Both are reliable.

Having said that, I don't carry either, I carry a Seecamp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links