Which one for a BUG, G36 or Sig 238?

This is a discussion on Which one for a BUG, G36 or Sig 238? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize that these two choices are kind of on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as the small semi-auto's go. As much as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which one for a BUG, G36 or Sig 238?

Which one for a BUG, G36 or Sig 238?

I realize that these two choices are kind of on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as the small semi-auto's go. As much as I am not a glock fanboy, at all, the G36 has always intrigued me, and I actually was going to buy one once, in the store with the money, but they just happened to be sold out.

The pro's that I see as far as the G36 are that it is a .45, which I like, thats my most used pistol caliber. My normal carry is a 1911, if I need a lightweight carry/BUG option, its my S&W 638. I feel as far as going from one shooting system to another, its usually do-able as long as the process is simpler. For example since I carry a 1911, I train to disengage the safety as part of the draw, and its not really an issue for me anymore. It's actually even more natural since I do so much M-16 work, and we carry them condition one, and it requires a flip down with the thumb to disengage the safety in order to engage targets.

So since I would be going from a more complex sequence to a simpler one, I have confidence in myself that I could make it work. As far as adapting to the new trigger style/weight, at the distances I would be engaging with a sub compact pistol, it would be contact distance to a few feet probably, if its further than that it's time to disengage. Another plus side would be ammo can be shared between it and the primary, so in a worst case scenario you could transfer rounds from one weapon's mag to the other's

Downsides to the Glock are its a bit heavy compared to my J-frame or the 238, it's a Glock (I had to throw that in there), and it is a little bit bigger. Although, with proper gear you can conceal anything.

The 238 is smaller and more compact, and has a similar firing sequence to the 1911, i.e. it is carried cocked and locked. Since I'm used to C&L carry, I don't see that as an issue. It's also pretty lightweight, not much more than my 638.

The main downside is the caliber, .380 is marginal (well really any pistol round is). I already shoot .380's so it wouldn't be adding a new caliber to my ammo shelves at least.

I really need to decide which method of carry I'd probably be going with too, as that could help with my selection. I've never been big on the Kel-tec's or LCP, I just don't like the feel of either, or way that they look, I'd rather spend a little more money and get something that feels a bit more substantial.

And I know I have a j-frame already that is perfectly suitable as a BUG, but I would like to add a sub-compact semi-auto to the collection, for a number of reasons.

Thanks for the input.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

And I know I have a j-frame already that is perfectly suitable as a BUG, but I would like to add a sub-compact semi-auto to the collection, for a number of reasons.
    If I was in your shoes I would carry the S&W 638 for a secondary gun and just go and buy the Glock 36 for a fun gun or alternative carry to your 1911.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    If I was in your shoes I would carry the S&W 638 for a secondary gun and just go and buy the Glock 36 for a fun gun or alternative carry to your 1911.
    Yeah, I know, I have a High Noon Bare Asset for my 638, and honestly that combo is great if if I don't feel like strapping on a 1911 for some reason. Really, I think a j-frame should be in everyone's inventory. I rarely carry a BUG, but if I do, the 638 does everything I need in that role.
    It's versatile, its easy to carry, you don't even really notice it. Although snubbies take a fair amount of training to really get good with.

I guess I'll go ahead and throw out there that another reason I'm deciding between these two is that I qualify for the military/le pricing program with both company, so I should be able to get a decent deal on either one. And I don't really have a sub-compact semi-auto, and I like having a well rounded collection.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I love my Glock-36, it is my EDC. It does seem a bit bulky for a BUG, but whatever works for you...it's a great gun. I used to hate Bricks...errrr, Glocks, the the Glock -36 with its thin grip got me started...I'm sold on Glocks.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Have you look at a Kahr PM45, it would be small not much bigger than the P238 and have the 45acp to match the carry ammo for your 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    I agree with Diablo.You have already trained with the 638,and I would think 5 rounds of 38 short barrel Gold Dots would work better than any .380's.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm thinking the G36 is a bit big for a BUG, but if you can conceal it as well as the smaller BUGs, that's some BUG!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    If you want a pocket gun/BUG go for the Sig. The G36 is a fine gun, and I really enjoy mine. However, it is not something I want to carry in a pocket or in an ankle holster.

I don't use a BUG; however, I use my G36 for deep concealment when even my 1911 is too bulky.

One thing to think about regarding the Sig. If you are right-handed and want to carry the 238 weak-side, you only have the safety on one side. To me, the 238 is better designed as a primary - pocket carried - weapon.

Really, I'd stick with the J-frame for BUG.

Good luck with your decision. Let us know how you decide.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Administrator
    A G36 is a fantastic gun, but is not a bug. If you are looking for an excuse to buy it, go ahead, SIXTO said it was OK. You are only young with disposable income once.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The Glock 36F is a fantastic pistol, but I think that it is too bulky for a BUG. If you are looking at a Glock 36F as a BUG, why don't you take a look then at the Kimber Ultra Carry II? The Kimber Ultra Carry II is also a 1911, it weighs 25 ounces, it has a 3" barrel and holds 7 rounds of .45 ACP. The Glock 36F weighs 21 ounces (4 ounces lighter than the Kimber) but it has a 3.78" barrel and holds 6 rounds of .45 ACP (1 less than the Kimber). Nonetheless, a Kimber Ultra Carry II won't work in a pocket holster and perhaps it might be too heavy for ankle carry but it is done by others. So if you do want a pocket gun go with the Sig Sauer P238 or stay with the j-frame. If you don't mind ankle carry or a 2nd gun on weak side IWB/OWB then go with the Kimber Ultra Carry II. Plus, they are BEAUTIFUL!!!!

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A G36 is a fantastic gun, but is not a bug. If you are looking for an excuse to buy it, go ahead, SIXTO said it was OK. You are only young with disposable income once.
    HA HA!!

If I'd known it was that easy, I would have asked about the Ed Brown Kobra Carry I let get away a couple of months ago.

All I needed was SIXTO's permission. I'm kicking myself!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

So, general consensus is the 36 is too bulky for a BUG, although I'm young and dumb and used to lots of gear, so I bet I could make it work if I want. SIXTO, I didn't know I needed your permission to spend my disposable income while being young (which actually doesn't happen to a lot of people, which is why I already have too many guns). You don't happen to have a G-36 I could pop a few rounds off with next time I'm back home, do ya? Maybe if I have one in my hands I'll talk myself out of defiling my gunsafe with a Glock.

Road-runner, you make some valid points, I especially like the thought about the safety on the 238. I'm not really sure I can beat the J-frame as a BUG. So I guess I'll change it to needing a deep concealment semi-auto, but I have a Bersa .380 that does that, but o well.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    So, general consensus is the 36 is too bulky for a BUG, although I'm young and dumb and used to lots of gear, so I bet I could make it work if I want. I didn't know I needed your permission to spend my disposable income while being young (which actually doesn't happen to a lot of people, which is why I already have too many guns). You don't happen to have a G-36 I could pop a few rounds off with next time I'm back home, do ya? Maybe if I have one in my hands I'll talk myself out of defiling my gunsafe with a Glock.

Road-runner, you make some valid points, I especially like the thought about the safety on the 238. I'm not really sure I can beat the J-frame as a BUG. So I guess I'll change it to needing a deep concealment semi-auto, but I have a Bersa .380 that does that, but o well.
    I don't know where you hang your hat when you're State-side, but I'm in Lansing, MI. PM me if that's close enough to work something out.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    I don't know where you hang your hat when you're State-side, but I'm in Lansing, MI. PM me if that's close enough to work something out.
    I appreciate that offer, but I try to avoid that state up north whenever possible (I can't help it, it's that scarlet and gray blood). Lansing is a bit of a drive, I am pretty sure I can find one closer to home, but thank you.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I took a look at a G19 and a G36 side by side in a gun store. Other than the grip being a bit thinner on the G36, the two pistols were virtually the same size...that is to say, I agree with everyone else here who said the G36 is really too big to be a BUG.

I also agree that if you want a pistol as a BUG in your support-side pocket, you do not want a P238 due to the safety lever being on the "wrong" side for that.

If you want a deep-conceal, "no excuses for not being armed" pistol, look no farther than the LCP, P3at, etc. I know you said you didn't like them, but they are unbeatable for deep concealment. Just be advised that my experience with pistols smaller than a G26 is that they can be temperamental little beasts. That is to say...if you can conceal the revolver, just stick with it. I wear business attire, and a revolver in the pocket is just too big for me.

Ah yes...to be young and have disposable income again...back before the wife...and the mortgage...and the kids...and the...ah heck...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links