Backup subcompact ccw pistol needed.

This is a discussion on Backup subcompact ccw pistol needed. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im looking for a fun gun to have as a backup.Subcompact is a must,as well as accuracy and definitely something that feels good to hold ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup subcompact ccw pistol needed.

Backup subcompact ccw pistol needed.

Im looking for a fun gun to have as a backup.Subcompact is a must,as well as accuracy and definitely something that feels good to hold and shoot.I dont spend my life at the range trying out new guns,so i need some suggestions from someone whos experienced a particular gun.Price is not a factor.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I believe the G26 rings the bell on all your criteria.

VIP Member
    Depends on if you want a wheel gun or an autoloader. In a wheel gun I'd go with a Ruger SP-101. In an autoloader a CZ RAMI.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You'll get a million different opinions but I'd get the xd subcompact I have one in .40 and its accurate plus has a nice feel in hand.

G27/26/33 (33 keeps with a .357 trend); S&W MP40c/9c; XD subcompact series. Ruger LCR, S&W NightGaurd would be a couple of interesting new revolvers I might give a try. And I'm betting you already read it but don't forget about this good resource to help build and then narrow down a list http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...emi-Automatics

Glock Certified Armorer

Kahr or J frame revolver

I've had good experience with S&W J frames and small steel 9mm Kahrs, and would recommend either one as a backup. They both conceal easily. The airweight J frames will conceal in a pocket.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

What is your EDC? Something you may consider is interchangibility of magazines/ammunition and manual of arms. For example if you carry a GLOCK 19, you may consider a GLOCK 26.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    In my opinion, your best options are: S&W 442/642/638, Ruger LCR, Ruger SP-101, Ruger LCP, Glock 26, Kahr PM-9, Kel-Tec PF9, Kel-Tec P-3AT, Walther PPS or Sig Sauer P238. If you have Glocks, go with the Glock 26 so that you can interchange magazines and if you want pocket carry your best bet is a j-frame, Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P-3AT.

I carry a S&W 442 (pocket or ankle carry depending on attire) as a BUG and I am extremely satisfied. Nonetheless, I really like revolvers and their reliability so I get a kick out of carrying a wheel gun in my pocket...a classic American gun!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by LoadedPipes View Post
    You'll get a million different opinions but I'd get the xd subcompact I have one in .40 and its accurate plus has a nice feel in hand.
    Ditto on the XDSC. since you already own a 1911 you will likely find the XD a natural grip fit as I did. I can easily hit what I'm pointing at. I found the transition to other mfg grip types/angles not worth the extra effort for emergency/panic back up weapon. Not to mention the safety aspects of its design and keeping one round in the pipe. The XDSC would be a good choice.

I tried all the small Glocks and J frames. I ended up with the Kahr PM40. It was supposed to be my BUG but I find I carrying it more than the larger guns. Now that it's cooler I may go OWB with a bigger gun but the Kahr is still a favorite. Several thousand rounds into it I still have not have a jam of any kind.
    Cherokee Slim
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (67.1 KB, 10 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (59.0 KB, 12 views)
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

I've had a 9mm PPS for about 14 months now and have been very pleased with it.

Extremely accurate, uber reliable, ergonomic and very easy to carry.

I've put a wide variety of fmj and jhp ammo through it (approximately 1,200 rds.) with zero malfunctions.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by locofinn View Post
    Ditto on the XDSC. since you already own a 1911 you will likely find the XD a natural grip fit as I did. I can easily hit what I'm pointing at. I found the transition to other mfg grip types/angles not worth the extra effort for emergency/panic back up weapon. Not to mention the safety aspects of its design and keeping one round in the pipe. The XDSC would be a good choice.
    I'll triple the SA XD40 SC suggestion! I love mine.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I purchased the S&W 342 for a BUG because it's small and very light. I find more and more often EDCing it.

Of my current inventory of handguns that may fit your bill:

XD40sc - good fit and feel in hand, intuitive to shoot very accurately, fun to shoot, good round. for a BUG, a little bulky (just depends on how you plan to carry). Great handgun.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC - good fit and feel, durable, reliable, good capacity, slimmer design elements makes it less bulky. Great handgun. Low maintenance. keeps going and going.
    S&W 442 - great BUG, small, light, pocket, ankle, IWB, OWB - most versatile to carry in multiple manners.
    Ruger SP101 - 5 shot revolver, .357 mag, all stainless, a little heavier than some, good shooter. Tank of a gun, fun to shoot. Can practice with .38
    Taurus PT709 Slim - thin, light, small, semi-auto 9mm , fun to shoot, easy to conceal. requires frequent cleanings.

There may be better options...these are just ones I have a significant amount of experience with. Some of it just depends on how you are planning on carrying and what your primary weapon is. The most versatile would be to carry the same bug as you do primary. extra mags would fit both. Sometimes I carry my SP101 primary with 442 secondary with a speed loader of .357 and two speed strips of 38+P. The 38s can be used in either weapon and the speed loader only goes with the primary.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The Springfield XD9sc is a very good choice as is a Beretta Storm SC9.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links