Speed Loader for Ruger LCR

This is a discussion on Speed Loader for Ruger LCR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if the 5 Star Firearms speed loaders work well with the LCR with the CT grip. Any one tried them? http://www.5starfirearms.com/38_lcr.html...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed Loader for Ruger LCR

Speed Loader for Ruger LCR

I was wondering if the 5 Star Firearms speed loaders work well with the LCR with the CT grip. Any one tried them?

http://www.5starfirearms.com/38_lcr.html

2. Remove Ads

havent bought one that works 100% yet, that one is on my to buy list but I wish they werent so shiney....

Yes, they do. I have them, and my LCR has the CT grips. Work great for me.

Sadly, I dont think they would work with the larger Hogue “Tamer” grip. I use speed strips.

HKS Model 36 works well for me in my LCRs and my SP101s in 2.25 inch barrel. On the left side the HKS barely touches the smooth upper part of the standard Houge grip. So,,,,,,,, just takes practice with it and they will work well.

Quote Originally Posted by richgp100z View Post
    HKS Model 36 works well for me in my LCRs and my SP101s in 2.25 inch barrel. On the left side the HKS barely touches the smooth upper part of the standard Houge grip. So,,,,,,,, just takes practice with it and they will work well.

Not to be rude, but if it "barely" touches then it does not work well. Barely touches in a high stress reload will mean it is going to get jammed when you try to reload it most of the time, no matter how much you practice. Ask me how I know.

As far as I am concerned the HKS 36A are great for range time but I would not rely on them when the shtf.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I have the Hogue “Tamer” grip on my LCR and I have both speed loaders. The HKS 36 is too large and the ammo will barely go into the cylinder even though it clears the grip although very closely. Not good for stressful situations. It was left over from a previous gun.

The 5-Star speed loader fits much better. The drawback, the ammo is very lose in the 5-Star and wiggles and rattles a lot. I wonder if it will retain the ammo while jostling around in a pocket. I'll let you know after some carry time.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Mine lets the 36 speedloader fit my .38 and .357 rounds with ease. I dont know what your problems really are with the ones you have or maybe grips or,,,,,,,,,, the way you are holding the speedloader. Just my opinion.

Which grip do you have? There are two. Mine 100% does not fit all the way. I have the full size with finger grooves not the boot grip

I have the same one with the grips. That is the tamer grip. On the left upper side of the grip where it is looking flat is where the round part of the HKS speedloader goes. Then,you slightly lower it down to the cylinder and then when you get the rounds almost all the way down,you will have les than the bottom of the brass showing above the cylinder on your LCR. Then releast the rounds and the rounds should fall in. Try it a bunch of times to get use to it. And,there will be times your HKS speedloader M36 will touch that flat spot on the tamer grip with finger grooves on it and it will be ok. Any other questions???? Thank God,I am a gunsmith.

Yeah try it while on move or under high stress, a lot of time that touching turns to a jam. I will stick to speedstrips until I find one that doesn't touch.

THE HKS-36 simply does not fit.

The 5-Star works much better.

You guys probably havent praticed with it so,that is why you are complaining about it. So,like I said before,practice,pratice,and now dont forget,PRACTICE. And,when you take it to the range and you have a spot to practice self defence drills or senerios,try the speedloader from HKS and see how you do. That is the only way you can learn the right way. COMMON SENSE. USE IT and,QUIT COMPLAINING and then let me know how you do on the speedloader drills.

You guys probably havent praticed with it so,that is why you are complaining about it. So,like I said before,practice,pratice,and now dont forget,PRACTICE. And,when you take it to the range and you have a spot to practice self defence drills or senerios,try the speedloader from HKS and see how you do. That is the only way you can learn the right way. COMMON SENSE. USE IT and,QUIT COMPLAINING and then let me know how you do on the speedloader drills.
    I like how you can make blanket assumptions like we haven't trained with our weapons. I consider myself VERY competent with the speedloader and my j-frame I have NO issue reloading under stress with the 36 on my jframe. I practice moving and shooting 2-3X a week ( not at some controlled range either) and I have practiced high stress reloads with snapcaps while being "attacked" and live fire reloads while moving and shooting and the "touching" you talk about is amplified and causes the speedloader to jam and get stuck a lot, it is just the way it works, there is almost zero play so unless you are perfect it is getting stuck or cocked and causing a reload issue. I am sure sitting on your couch practicing or sitting at the range punching paper and practicing is working out for you but when your heart is pumping, you are sweaty and just got done running and emptying your weapon into threats, and adrenaline is up and you are trying to get a fast reload and back on the threat, things dont always go the way as planned and that lack of play can get you killed. I dont mess around with standing still and punching paper, that kind of training will get me killed so I cannot recommend the HKS speedloader, not enough room for error when reloading with the Ruger LCR under high stress.

Those of you who think you know it all are very annoying to those of us who do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links