Should I buy a Ruger LCP .380?

This is a discussion on Should I buy a Ruger LCP .380? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The title says it all guys I'm really considering adding one of these guns to my stable for pocket carry,I'm also wanting the CT Laser ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a Ruger LCP .380?

Should I buy a Ruger LCP .380?

The title says it all guys I'm really considering adding one of these guns to my stable for pocket carry,I'm also wanting the CT Laser guard for it and was wondering how my fellow DC members here like these guns,do they perform well out of the box?

I had a Keltec .380 a number of years back and it was a nice performer and was really easy to carry,when my J-frames were to big. So I'm in the market for another small .380 here in the next couple of weeks,thanks for any info and opinions on this.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I've got the KelTec and the LCP 380 and both have been 100%. I carry the kelTec and my wife and daughter carry the LCP. I know a lot of folks here on the forum are not fans of the .380 but I feel very comfortable carrying mine and feel very safe. Both are good guns. The one thing I do like about the LCP over the KelTec is the slide will lock open. The KelTec is slightly thinner but not enough to really notice. Good luck.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I have one. It felt better in my hand than the Kel-tec. Much more comfortable with the short finger extension on the magazine (it comes with one of these). Long trigger pull. Long trigger pull (yes I said it twice). This makes it very difficult to shoot yourself in your pocket. I use an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. In summer with cargo shorts, you never see anything. Gun shoots well, I have about 500 rounds thru mine, never a mis fire or stovepipe. I have shot many different type of target ammo and some JHP with it, never an issue. The only complaint some have made about the LCP is that after last shot, the slide does not lock open, so in a defensive situation, you may not know if you have any more shots left.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    If you want a pocket pistol in .380 ACP, you cannot go wrong with the Ruger LCP and even better if you outfit it with a CT laser grip. Nonetheless, you have to take into consideration that a small .380 pocket pistol has several disadvantages such as: 1) less stopping power (although JHP in .380 are comparable to .38 sp), 2) poor sights, 3) sharper recoil, and 4) limited accuracy (unless you are Hickock45 or have lots of training). Therefore, just buy the gun considering these issues, use it accordingly and carry it only when you cannot conceal a larger caliber handgun (at least 9mm). After all, it is best to have a small pocket gun than no gun at all.

I personally prefer a S&W 442 as my pocket handgun, but not everyone can pocket carry a j-frame revolver. Therefore, the best choice in this case is either a Ruger LCP or a Kel-Tec P-3AT in the .380 cartridge.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Mine took about 50-100 rounds before it performed perfectly, couple jams here and there before that. Now I've put hundreds through it without an issue. Conceals great, no issue there and its pretty accurate for a belly gun I'd say pick one up the price is great.

icon-72775417.jpgYou may take a look at the armalaser, they make one for the lcp. I have one for my keltec and love it. It detects when you have a finger in the trigger guard and turns on the laser. It comes with a desantis pocket holster and costs $119. I was sure the holster would get in the guard and activate the laser all day, but it never did. I tried my friends lcp with crimson trace and did'nt like the button and thickened trigger guard. Can't go wrong either way though. Good luck!

http://www.armalaser.com/Products-Ruger_LCP.html
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

My wife has 1, I have 2 Ruger LCPs.

My wife's was recalled, and had to go back to Ruger a few months ago for a sheared takedown pin. It also had a few "smiley face" jams early on.

My first LCP has close to 1000 rounds - flawless.

My second LCP is currently back at Ruger for a second attempt at fixing numerous "smiley face" jams, extraction failures, and mags that like to pop loose.

Put it this way - if a revolver didn't print so much in my business suit pocket, I would carry one of those when carrying one of my Glocks wasn't discreet enough. Unfortunately, the revolver is just too big, so I have no choice.

I was a big fan of the LCP, and hope Ruger makes my "lefty" one reliable, but I will never trust them as I do my Glocks.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

My LCP has run flawlessly right out of the box, love it.... don't have the laser yet, maybe a Christmas present for myself...

Mine has been great. I have it with a Pearce grip finger extension and the crimsontrace on it. The crimson trace does not add any measurable size to it, and i really like it for supplementing the non existent regular sight. I think it has improved my overall accuracy with all of my pistols, because the laser bouncing no the target showed me i was pulling it a little. Anyway.. i am really happy with mine, and considered picking up a second one. Two is one, and one is none.

Thanks guys so by and large these seem like good guns. Is there any way for me to know if the new LCP I order isn't from "new old stock" and is subject to the recall? Is there a certain serial number range to look out for?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

I think LCPs serial number 372-***** or higher are well past the recall. Mine is 372-***** and has functioned perfectly except for a few fte in the first 100 rounds.

I highly recommend you get one. It is not fun to shoot but that's not its purpose. It is the gun that can go anywhere.
    Last edited by rammerjammer; November 8th, 2010 at 08:11 PM. Reason: typo

I've had one for about 2 years. The first 200 rounds or so were flawless, but lately I've been getting the 'smiley face' jams like 10thmtn. I need to do some investigation to see if I can figure out why.

Since the LCP gives me doubts, and I wanted a snubbie anyway, my pocket carry gun is a S&W 442.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I have the Walther PK308 very nice gun, I just got this one and put about 200 rounds through it and have not had any problems.

check it out

GM
    If you are looking for a mouse gun the LCP is a good one.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Mine is always in my pocket.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links