Sig 232 project-No plastic guns for me

This is a discussion on Sig 232 project-No plastic guns for me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello forum members, I am going to try and post some photos on my most recent project, a real nice, 100% made in Germany, Sig ...

Thread: Sig 232 project-No plastic guns for me

Sig 232 project-No plastic guns for me

Hello forum members,

I am going to try and post some photos on my most recent project, a real nice, 100% made in Germany, Sig 232 two tone with Hogue grips.

I foolishly sold a stainless Sig 230 several years ago and my dealer would not sell it back to me. This gun replaced my 5th or 6th (and I thought my last) PPK/PPKs. In contrast to my stainless PPK at the time, it fed everything and was very accurate. It was a little heavy so I found that I did not carry it too often.

Fast forward to the last year and many trials with the new plastic guns (ie., KelTec PF9 and P32) as well as a Kahr, another PPK/s, etc., etc., and I finally found myself with a new Sig 238. It was one of the first ones available and after going back twice to Sig, it really functioned nicely. However, I could not get used to the cocked and locked in my pocket and I started to miss my old Sig 230 again.

Ran across an owner in Missouri with my current Sig 232, and we traded even up. I love this 232 which only weights about 2 oz more than my 238. It is really like an old friend rejoining my group..

I sprung for some Hogue grips and several extra magazines and have really enjoyed it. It is very accurate, and handles all types of ammo including the hot Buffalo bore .380 hard cast rounds.

The favorite load is Hornady's Personal Defense round. Very easy to shoot and very very accurate.

I now go to the range and boast "No more plastic guns for me"!.

I do have to admit however, that I usually have a KelTec P32 in my pocket if the 232 is not with me.

Let me know what you think
    IMG_4418.jpgIMG_4416.jpgIMG_4415.jpgIMG_4419.jpg

Trooper Joe

2. Remove Ads

GM
    Very nice. Enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Very nice! I actually picked up a P232 from another member a few months ago, and love it! My EDC is a Glock 19, and my original purpose for this gun was to break my wife into shooting with it. However, after shooting it a couple times after I bought it, and on several occasions slipping into my waist band because it was too hot to lug around/cover my Glock, it has found it's way into my daily rotation. I bought it in single tone/blued finish, and it has some very light signs of finish wear so I have been considering having it sent out for refinishing. I think it's heading out to either Fords Custom Gun Refinishing (Matte Hard Chrome) or Robar (Roguard/NP3) after Christmas, and when it's cool enough that I can stick to the G19 for 6-8 weeks.
    I currently carry PDX1's, but I have been considering trying out some 100 Grain +P Lead Flatnose Buffalo Bores in it after several recomendations from other members. Have you tried Critical Defense in 380?

Dbramhall,

I meant to say Hornady Critical Defense not "Personal Defense" in my original post. The buffalo Bore 100 grn hardcast flat nose is the hottest load available I think.

I actually called Sig before I used it and Ray sort of laughed and said, "It's a 232 isn't it?".

I wouldn't want to shoot the Buffalo Bore loads all the time since they are not very pleasant to your hand.

I was sort of sold on the Hornady load since it is so accurate and pleasant to shoot. However, I was reading one thread that sort of down played it in comparison to other loads available.

I noticed that some of my ball .380 ammo has a little more recoil than the Hornady rounds so maybe there is some concern on whether or not the Hornady stuff is up to snuff.

When you get your 232 the way you want it, keep it forever. I know I will keep mine and not make the same mistake twice (ie., when I sold my first 230 Sig).

I am sure that some of the plastic .380 guns are a lighter to carry, however, I also hear that they can be a bear to shoot. I guess I will stick to the .32 P-32 for my mouse gun and grab the 232 when I want a serious .380.

By the way, the Hogue grips are a little pricey, but they sure make the gun. I actually have to handle the gun every night it is so nice (that is if I haven't actually carried it during the day).

Trooper Joe

Trooper Joe,
    Based on your input and everybody elses about the Bufalo Bore, I would only shoot enough to learn point of impact, recoil, etc and then just leave the rest in mags.
    I've actually got a pair of the Hogue rubber grips on it right now, and have considered dressing it up w/some nice wood ones like yours or maybe even Crimson Trace grips. If I invest in the refinishing, I think the wood grips would be a nice compliment.
    Any suggestions for a good carry rig? I'm currently using a High Noon Bare Asset IWB, which isn't bad but I'm sure could be improved. The price was right and it was one of their stocking models, so I had it on my belt 2 days after I bought the gun. I'm actually looking for an extra mag, and a double mag pouch now. Hopefully Santa will be nice!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Very nice looking pistol. There's something about the grip of these guns that simply works.

I'm another P230/232 fan. A world class design and world class quality make for a fine, fine pistol. I recently sold one of my Sigs, a Rainbow Titanium model, but retained my other three. I love the weight of the P232sl at the range but I prefer the lightweight of the blued model for carry. I put a set of the Hogue rubber grips on the blued carry pistol. A while back I located a hard to find .32acp model, also blued. As you can imagine, it is a blast to shoot. This gun has lower recoil and an extra round fits into the mag. I love it. I was lucky enough to grap a set of the Nill grips with the Sig Sauer logo. These I sport on the beautiful stainless gun.

I guess I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for a two-tone, in order to complete my collection.

Enjoy your new Sig.

Trooper Joe...a great looking gun, I hope it treats you very well.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you're looking. CDNN: 232SLs - $430, VG - Excel cond.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I have a stainless P230 that I love. I can't justify the weight to "firepower" ratio of it to carry it often, but it IS one of the sweetest shooting (and scarily accurate) pistols that I've ever owned. Those are some very nice looking pics you guys have posted.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I sold my trusted 230 several weeks ago and missed it so much that I turned around and bought a 232 a week later.

The 230/232 platform is quite amazing in terms of looks, ergonomics and accuracy (at least for me that is).

All the best
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Congratulations Trooper Joe. That is one sweet looking Sig.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Links