My experience with the DiamondBack .380.

This is a discussion on My experience with the DiamondBack .380. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today when I was hanging out at the local gun-shop, the owner asked me if I could take a Diamondback .380 and see if I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My experience with the DiamondBack .380.

Senior Moderator

My experience with the DiamondBack .380.

Today when I was hanging out at the local gun-shop, the owner asked me if I could take a Diamondback .380 and see if I could make it run like it was supposed to. If I couldn't fix it, he was going to send it back.

I took it apart and took a look at it and could see no obvious problems.

The owner was having some serious issues with feeding, in fact, the gun would lock up and you couldn't even drop the mag. While holding the gun with one hand with the slide jammed open, I had to take my other hand and press down on the magazine to extract it. It was the only way that I could get it gun to unlock. After much study and several failed attempts at manipulating the slide, I came to the conclusion that the bullet being used had much too big of a hollow-point on it, which was locking it up as the sharp edge of the bullet was hitting the feed ramp which was stopping it cold.

It was hard enough that when this occurred, the gun was hopelessly jammed up.

The Diamondback seems to be well designed and workmanship was pretty good, the design bearing a resemblance to the Glock, except that this thing is scaled way down enough that one could hide it in a pocket very well. Leaving the gun-shop, I slid it into the back pocket of my Levis, where it rode all the way home with barely a notice.

At home, I confirmed the fact that this little pistol HATES hollow-points with large cavities so much so that it absolutely refuses to function with them.

Knowing that some little pistols are very particular as to what they eat, I tried some full metal jacketed rounds that had a truncated cone bullet design, the flat on the tip being somewhat smaller than those big open hollowpoints.

It was a no go, the same issue all over again. The first round locked up and refused to feed. At least this time, I simply racked the slide back, ejected the round and attempted to feed another. Still no go. After manually putting one in the chamber and letting the slide go I shot the gun...twice. More failure to feed. Out of several attempts I finally shot the gun until it was empty. It was miserable.

Next up were standard FMJ ball ammo. Nothing special really, just a nice round profile with a copper jacket.
    It shot like a champ. No failures to feed, no failures to eject, the little gun shot just like it was suppose to.

Except for one thing. The Diamondback has absolutely the most horrendous trigger that I have ever encountered. Previously S&W Sigma had the honor of having the trigger that sucked the most, but even it has nothing on the Diamondback which has the longest reset of any trigger known to mankind.

In fact, the trigger is so long that there is barely 50 thousands of clearance between it and the rear of the trigger guard before the gun goes off, the trigger stopping immediately on very back of the guard.

This fact alone makes it a difficult gun to shoot with any accuracy at all. Yes, I know that its a defensive gun and not made to shoot targets but fact of the matter is, if you don't shoot at targets to see how the gun feels and performs, you sure don't need to carry it as a personal defense weapon until you have 100 percent confidence in it which is hard to have if you fail to hit the target.

I did figure out how to make it hit though. Going through the long pull, there is an obvious stopping point at the end of the travel which gives one the ability to actually sight the gun and shoot it. Using it in this manner allowed me to keep all shots in the black at 7 yards.Once I established that fact, after shooting several mag fulls carefully shooting at the target and trying to hit center, I decided it was time to try to shoot the gun in a manner that it was actually designed for...nice and fast like at ranges that are up close and personal.

Once again, I was disappointed. That long trigger pull caused some misfires due to the fact that I did not let the trigger all the way forward to reset. When you are in the" oh crap, the sucker is trying to kill me mode" it would be an advantage if you didn't have to consciously manipulate the trigger just to be sure that it fired the next shot. Doing so makes it slow. Very slow. This is not a gun that you could just pull out and shoot without thinking. With all the things that will be going though your thoughts at the speed of light when your life flashes by in front of you,the LAST thing you should have to think about is whether it will work or not.

I was impressed by the size of it, it is small enough to be carried just about anywhere. I am not impressed by the operation of it. If one decided to carry this gun for self defense, they had better have all of the kinks worked out of it and understand it because if they dont and they need it, the badguy might be walking off with a war trophy.

Here is a picture of it, laying on top of a Kel Tec PF-9 which looks huge in comparison.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    But other than all that, you liked it, right?

Somewhere along the line, gun makers failed to envision that owners might prefer to shoot something other than FMJs. "Shoot 250 rounds of ball ammo first" and other tidbits of advice always seem to be the rule. How about this: Design the mags and ramps, etc. to feed HPs to begin with and the ball ammo will fall in line. While Glocks aren't perfect (we don't all have the same size hands, the same length fingers, like the same triggers, etc.), They do almost infallibly feed any ammo put through them right out of the box. What has Glock figured out that others didn't, especially the clones?

Hopefully the DB gets the feeding and trigger issues worked out. It seems like a nice little gun that has potential.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the write-up, HotGuns.

Very nice. I had looked at these guns and had been wanting to handle and shoot one because it was different. Guess if I want a pocket 380, its off to KAHR Keltec, RUGER or NAA.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Thanks hotguns, the DB380 has me curious but I'm waiting for the 9x19 model hopefully by then they have this feeding and trigger issues figured out, or GLOCK finally makes a single stack pocket 9x19.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Nice review!

More please.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

. The Diamondback has absolutely the most horrendous trigger that I have ever encountered. Previously S&W Sigma had the honor of having the trigger that sucked the most, but even it has nothing on the Diamondback which has the longest reset of any trigger known to mankind.

LOL hilarious.

i like ur review, hope to see more in the future!

GM
    Thanks for the very good review!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Senior Moderator
    When I first saw one in the Gunshop I had high hopes for it. While I am not a fan of weenie guns with weenie calibers, I do recognize that there are times when you just cant carry a full sized gun and this one could dissapear in a pocket.

It looked good and it was small. Very small. I cycled the trigger a few times and I knew that it was long, but I reserved judgement on it until I shot it.

If they could fix that atrocious trigger and get it to feed something other than FMJ, it MIGHT be a better weapon. For the most part, although I agree that ANY weapon is better than NO weapon, if I had my choice between this and a large rock, I'd have to give serious thought to the large rock.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

got one and like it

i got one the other day at the gun show and shot some junk ball ammo throgh it today with no problems!!! very accurate and super easy to carry!!! if it keeps shooting good ill love it.

Thanks for the review.

Thumbs up

I've had one for almost a year and really like mine. It shoots HP's great for me. It did not like the 95gr Winchester white box with the snub nose FMJ. I just got a CTC LaserGuard for it last week.
    There ya go........

Nice write up. I like my Seecamp and Sig 238 so there isn't another mousegun in my future.

By the way, .50 thousands of an inch is .050"
    .50 would be 5 tenths.

Nice review!

It really is too bad. I had been slating the DB for a possible addition as a "toss in the pocket and go" kind of light armament weapon, but...

Between this and the Kaboom rumors, I'll wait and see if anyone can get it right.

Why can't we have the Glock .380 again?

And the DB is a handsome little fella too...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Cool

I have had my Diamondback BUG for several months now and am very pleased with it's reliability with Speer Lawman 95gr. FMJ. It feeds them flawlessly along with Speer Gold Dot HP. I use the FMJ because I want as much penetration as I can get from a round that only has about 200 ft. lb. of energy and about 1000 fps of velocity. My DB is never a primary, only a BUG.

P18163004.jpg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links