Springfield TRP Operator 1911 and Smith and Wesson 327 TRR8

This is a discussion on Springfield TRP Operator 1911 and Smith and Wesson 327 TRR8 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gents, I would to hear your feedback on this firearm. It looks like a heck of a value, but should I be looking at something ...

Thread: Springfield TRP Operator 1911 and Smith and Wesson 327 TRR8

VIP Member

Springfield TRP Operator 1911 and Smith and Wesson 327 TRR8

Gents,

I would to hear your feedback on this firearm. It looks like a heck of a value, but should I be looking at something else in this price range? Please no Kimber recommendations as I have two of them. The funny part is that I never ask these questions because I always have a purpose and mission when I choose firearms. Right now, I just got some dough to spend and no real role to fill.

I also have to admit that I have been eye balling this S&W revolver, it looks like a nice piece for sure!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've only handled the Springfield TRP Operator and it is a heavy gun... I personally wouldn't CC it very often. But it's sure a nice weapon!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have a TRP, and I'm familiar with the SA Operator line, but I don't know what the "TRP Operator" is - a TRP with a rail?

I spent some training with some SWAT guys who take their 1911s seriously. Three of the 4 had Springfield Professional models, which will run you around $2500 and a several-month wait, but it's a top-of-the-heap gun, and not a safe queen. A couple of these guys' guns looked like they had been used as pucks for a street hockey game, and they are shot a lot.

I had my sights set on a substantial 1911, maybe a Baer or Brown or Wilson, but knew it would be a while before I had the bucks together for one of those. Then last year I worked at the NRA convention for a few days, and spent some time with the Springfield Custom Shops guys. I asked about the Pro model, and then I asked what's the next best model in the lineup. The answer was, the TRP. The TRP and the Pro models start off with the same select parts - frame, slide and internals - but the big difference is that the Pro gets a lot more hand-fitting. Another small difference is that the TRP gets a full-length guide rod whereas the Pro uses original-style guide and a conventional bushing. Lucky me, I found a screamin' deal on a new TRP on GunBroker last year, so all of a sudden I had one. The first thing I did with it was replace that guide rod with the standard parts.

I've only put 500 or so rounds through the gun since I got it; my range time has been limited by a temporary health issue. It fed ball and JHP ammo just fine, but choked on the SWC reloads I used for IDPA fun. A local gunsmith of some renown worked the gun over and now it will even chamber empties... not real useful, but a fun parlor trick. The trigger is also not as crisp as I'd like, so when the spirit moves me it'll go back to the shop to get that cleaned up as well.

The TRP is maybe an ounce heavier than my 1990 vintage SA 1911-A1, but in the hand it just feels more substantial, and that aggressive checkering on the front strap really anchors the gun in your hand. That might even be too aggressive for some folks. It's clearly the smoothest-shooting 1911 I have (others are that 1911-A1 and a Kimber CDP) with no hitches or undue bumps in the action. It's the rugged gun I wanted... but there's still room in my heart for that Brown or Baer some day!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Two great handguns two very diffrent handguns. Both are fine examples from two great manufactures. If you have the funds get both

I think the TRP Operator has a full length dust cover? As far as blowing money and possibly even carrying, I would choose the TRR8
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Then last year I worked at the NRA convention for a few days, and spent some time with the Springfield Custom Shops guys. I asked about the Pro model, and then I asked what's the next best model in the lineup. The answer was, the TRP. The TRP and the Pro models start off with the same select parts - frame, slide and internals - but the big difference is that the Pro gets a lot more hand-fitting.
    The TRP is an excellent pistol, according to Dave Williams, director of the Custom Shop (who stated basically what you did, the only difference being the TRP never came with the Nowlin barrel, which the Pros no longer have either) "The gunsmith receives a semi-finished, hand-forged National Match frame and slide, and individually cut the rails, drill the pinholes, and fit the slide by hand lapping it to the frame. The result of this attention is a slide to frame fit that has zero vertical or horizontal play. The TRP has a match-grade Springfield barrel that is fitted to a match-grade bushing making the pistol more than capable of providing superb accuracy and reliability. The match grade trigger is aluminum and fitted with an overtravel stop."
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I think the TRP Operator has a full length dust cover? As far as blowing money and possibly even carrying, I would choose the TRR8
    The PC9105LP has the standard "dust cover" and the PC9105LCA has the full length rail.

~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Well I have had the privledge of owning both. I currently run the TRP Operator with Armory Kote finish, Adj night sights, and light rail. The gun runs perfectly. Can't speak for the other one mentioned.

"A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

If the 327 is anything like the X-frames ive owned,it will be a good weapon.

Now i can vouch for the Operator more than anything else.The difference between it and the standard TRP is rail and night sights.Mine also has the Armory Kote.Looks and feels better than anything else.I have a Surefire X300 light,and it stays on the gun solidly.I must advise you to get a TRP.Heres the link for the holster and mag pouch i have.
    http://www.ravenconcealment.com/products/holsters.html
    http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...xtModelID=7922

VIP Member
    The TRP I am looking at has a full rail and is in mint condition. He want's 1,300.00 is this a fair price? It seems a bit high to me. I also was considering a Dan Wesson at this price range what do you guys think? I have not owned one, but have never heard a bad thing in the 1911 community about them.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    The TRP I am looking at has a full rail and is in mint condition. He want's 1,300.00 is this a fair price?
    Bud's guns, when they had them, went for $1599. So, $1300 for a mint specimen, isn't out of line.

~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member
    The price is good. They go for $1600 local. You might want to hold it first if you havn't. I don't like the 20 lpi checkering on the front strap of mine so it sets in the safe unfired. I tried selling it once local for $1375, but I had no offers at that price.

Yeesh, you guys are making me feel better and better. Got my TRP (new) for $1150! I must have bid when everyone was off to the beach. There are usually a number of them available on GunBroker, so I think if you're patient you can get one for a good price.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links