Colt Python

This is a discussion on Colt Python within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 4" blued 1965 model...bought it unfired for $700 in 2002, came with the box and manuals as well, It shoots like a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt Python

I have a 4" blued 1965 model...bought it unfired for $700 in 2002, came with the box and manuals as well, It shoots like a laser with 125 gr XTPs -- I love that gun.

2. Remove Ads

Gun Broker has a nice blued (North Dakota) Colt Python (4) gun set in 2.5", 4", 6" & 8" for $9,250! You better jump on it or they'll get away!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=199751685
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Colt pythons...great guns...expensive, but who cares...if your gotta' have one, ya gotta have one.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by sabre03 View Post
    I have a 4" blued 1965 model...bought it unfired for $700 in 2002, came with the box and manuals as well, It shoots like a laser with 125 gr XTPs -- I love that gun.
    Nice!
    Hollow "lug" model?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

jyo
    Back in the mid-80s I bought a brand new satin stainless 6" Python---wonderful revolver---kept it for many years---sadly it got away at a weak moment---shoulda kept it!

Here's my Nickel 4", in the store before I picked it up. Unfired - or test fired only - bought 3 years ago for $449 - my "buy of a lifetime". A 1981. A long story how it came to be so low-priced, somewhere on these forums Ive told it before.

PythonS.jpg
    (light area on grips on photo only; and the blue on the real barrel and frame is reflection of me taking the picture)

The gun still looks great although - and here's the heads-up about nickel - it has fine scratch lines from use at the range and a number of CCWs. Now I don't CCW it (it a heavy gun to lug around - and because of hesitancy to mar, and the price now of .357 ammo - shoot it only once every couple of months). Nickel looks beautiful but it is a finish, unlike say highly polished steel which is the base metal of the gun and can be re-polished if it needs it it in a few years. And without I think destroying the value. Re-nickelling or re-bluing does take a huge hit out of the value. If you can find a Bright Stainless - or it might be called Ultimate Bright Stainless - I think Pythons came in that sometimes, though not many and I can't swear it. That would be the best IMO. For blue will wear also, especially if holstered a lot.

Take a look around local stores. Pythons show up, although few people are now unaware of their value, so finding a bargain is tough, but they're out there.

Gunbroker and other known auctions sites include ads for Pythons at outrageous prices. A seller will keep a gun on month after month and eventually some poor fish bites. So, be very wary of very high priced Pythons as they are likely over-inflated over what already are very high standard prices. Most 2 1/2"s are really pricey, often close to $2000 NIB and a few hundred lower if not.

The real fraud can come with the 3" - the rarest of Pythons - which can go for $4000 or $5000 or more. If you run across a high-priced but seemingly affordable model 3", run - don't walk - and post a photo and question on www.coltforum.com - where there are really knowledgeable people and can spot a fake (usually a cut-down 4") really well. In fact, with no offense to many here that know Colts - that is always the best place to run any prospective purchase by with a photo in my opinion. You can be saved a lot of grief and get very good advice on prices.
    Here's a current example of a 3" now on GunBroker. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=201260215
    The fact that it has an authenticity letter from Colt helps to indicate it may be the real thing. (But if I was a potential buyer, to Colt Forum I would go before making any decision. Especially since the seller only takes M.O. and personal checks, my money would be unprotected by a Credit Card. Really have to watch it.) That the label is also missing from the "original" box also would make me ponder. Original Python boxes are a regular offering on GB and themselves go for a $100 or so. I don't know if it's fraudulent and I am not claiming that at all. I'm just recommending you always get 2nd opinions on this rare 3" type or any 2 1/2" - or any Python, the rest more for price and condition analysis - on Colt Forum or other "expert"-source.

Good luck Python hunting. Bring plenty of supplies. You may be in the wilderness a good while before you hear that tell-tale hissing of a bargain Python.
    But they are out there, lurking in unlikely places, hoping for a new owner.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Love the Colt Python. Back in the early eighties I carried a blue 6 inch model as a duty weapon. Still have it. Recently picked up a nickeled 6 inch python from a friend of mine. They really are fantastic shooters.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    a fake (usually a cut-down 4") really well.
    The most common and hardest to detect without research, are the rebarreled 3" Pythons. Colt rebarreled many new Pythons in-house with left over 3" barrels (and the 3" barrels could be bought directly from Colt) from the Lew Horton "Combat Python" run from around 1986/87.

If its a cut-down Python, those are the easiest to spot because of the location of the barrels rollmarkings.
    Last edited by OD*; November 16th, 2010 at 11:41 PM.

~ Tiger McKee

This summer I got a real good deal on a 4" Python, blued, with significant muzzle wear and cylinder ring. I sent it to Colt for refurbishment.

Before picture:

After picture:

IMO blue is the way to go, here is an after picture closeup of the Colt Royal Blue:

And another:

I never was into Colts or Pythons until I stumbled into the deal and found out about them at Coltforum. The previous poster is correct, it's hard to stop with just one, I've bid on a few 6" Pythons on Gunbroker and just missed out on a good local deal when I was out of town.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

What an outstanding transformation alienbogey!

Colt did a beautiful job, the pistol looks pristine now.

If you don't mind my asking; about how much was the cost to refurbish your Python and how long did it take?
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    What an outstanding transformation alienbogey!

Colt did a beautiful job, the pistol looks pristine now.

If you don't mind my asking; about how much was the cost to refurbish your Python and how long did it take?
    I'd be very interested too. I know you can get the "Royal Blue" from Colt on the O models for $275.

~ Tiger McKee

Per the invoice from Colt, the 'Complete Refinish Royal Blue' was $275 plus $30 return shipping.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Quote Originally Posted by alienbogey View Post
    Per the invoice from Colt, the 'Complete Refinish Royal Blue' was $275 plus $30 return shipping.
    You got every pennies worth.

Gorgeous Python!
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

thanks for all the great posts... i will let you know if i pick up one. Bunker

Wow, that's a really impressive refinish job, well worth the money!

I've never suffered from "gottahavapythonitis" but I do know a Python deal that isn't to be passed up when I see one. I snagged this nice 6" (dates to 1987 per Colt) for $699 a couple of weeks ago from a local hardware store that also sells some guns and ammo. The guy said the owner traded it in on a new Savage Edge rifle, their new entry level line. Go figure!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links