Colt Python

This is a discussion on Colt Python within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Think i NEED a colt python... got to handle one at our local gun club, and i have been lusting ever since. I tend to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt Python

Colt Python

Think i NEED a colt python... got to handle one at our local gun club, and i have been lusting ever since. I tend to be on the obsessive compulsive side, and cannot stop looking online. I really like the Nickel finish, but i heard they are known best for their bluing. What do you guys think. Most seem like they have too long a barrel length to CC, except for the 2 1/2 length. Anyone have some pics i can drool over????

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's probably the slickest revolver ever designed. Always wanted one after "Hutch" carried one on that show. I'm pretty sure it came in various barrel lengths, but I don't think it quite reaches "stubbie" proportions.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Wink Python Target .38 Special 8" bbl.

I can't help with the short barrel,but here is one of the long ones.

U.S. Army Veteran

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Most seem like they have too long a barrel length to CC, except for the 2 1/2 length. Anyone have some pics i can drool over????
    Depends on how much you want to spend.
    Colt offered them in 2 1/2", 3", 4", 6" and 8".

Mine is a 4".

Last edited by OD*; November 12th, 2010 at 04:47 PM.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I carried a 4 inch Nickeled Python for a few years in a pancake holster.It carried fine under my botton down shirt.But like you said, I think the Blued Pythons are the ones to have.I would give my left thumb for a 2 1/2 in blued Python.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    I can't help with the short barrel,but here is one of the long ones.

Sweet!

Fairly rare Python you have there.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    The Colt Python is the finest out of the box revolver ever made.

I own three "E" models made in the 70's. A 4 inch blue, a 6 inch blue and a 4 inch nickel combat magnum that came with three dot sights.
    They conceal just as easy as any full size gun, accuracy is superb and the triggers are fantastic.

You will never regret owning one but be warned it is hard to stop with just one.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Think i NEED a colt python... got to handle one at our local gun club, and i have been lusting ever since. I tend to be on the obsessive compulsive side, and cannot stop looking online. I really like the Nickel finish, but i heard they are known best for their bluing. What do you guys think. Most seem like they have too long a barrel length to CC, except for the 2 1/2 length. Anyone have some pics i can drool over????
    Get one of each, that way you have it covered on both ends.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I have a nickle finish colt pyton Elite that looks almost unfired 99% that I am gonna sell. PM me.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Classic gun

Like you, I decided 10 years ago that I had to have a Python, and bought the one below on Gunbroker for $630. It functions mainly as a safe queen - I've shot maybe 300 rounds of .38 through it over the 10 years.

The things that you notice about them, when you have one, is the incredible finish Colt put on them and the remarkable trigger feel. It is very easy to shoot good groups with a Python.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Here's a picture of my Python. (Sorry the picture quality isn't better).
    It's a safe queen but does go to the range a few times a year.

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

My dad used to have a 4" Python. I learned to shoot a handgun with it. I really wish he had not sold it. I loved that gun. It was his primary HD weapon for as long as I can remember.

My cousin has one too. I think it is a 6", but it may be an 8". He hunts cougar with in in CO. On foot. Without dogs. He trains for like a month before he goes out and I swear, he can run at a flat out sprint for 2 miles, at an altitude of 8,000 feet. LOL. But he loves that gun.

Definitely get blued though. Looks SOOOOOO much better.

Dang......now I'm starting to really want one.
    SIG Sauer P229 .40 S&W

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

The Python is a worthwhile revolver to own if you will go ahead and enjoy it by shooting it. It is good with full-power .357 loads and soaks up recoil well. It gives really fine target accuracy and can become addictive to shoot because it delivers gratifyingly tight groups. I'm not as keen on the double action trigger on the Python as some owners are but sure like its light, crisp single action trigger.

It is fully equal to the L-Frame Smith & Wesson in size so some thought would be necessary in contriving to carry the 2 1/2-inch or 4-inch versions. With care, some folks tote Pythons.

I really like the 4-inch Pythons too and would like to have one. The 4-inch Python has a very business-like look to it. Pythons like Pistola's nice one are not commonly seen. I originally wanted the 8-inch model as I long favored long-barreled revolvers. If a person admires the vent rib, then the 8-inch Python has a mile of it.

That vent rib is interesting. Many years ago companies like Kings Gun Works offered customization services back when the revolver was king of bulls eye competition, The vent rib was a popular custom feature added by many competitors and shooters. Colt brought out a deluxe revolver that "had it all" and required nothing in the way for customization. Weighted barrel, oversized target stocks, fine adjustable target sights, target grade trigger, hammer spur, vent rib ... it was all there.

I have a great shooting 6-inch blue Python from 1978. Has a dab of holster wear so sees occasional field use. A fine revolver for target work, it is also very satisfying at the range on pleasant afternoons.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I have a nickle finish colt pyton Elite that looks almost unfired 99% that I am gonna sell. PM me.
    pm sent

I;d absolutely love to have a Colt Python!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links