Sig P250 compact 9mm Pros/cons

This is a discussion on Sig P250 compact 9mm Pros/cons within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I now and have been carrying a glock 19, absolutely love the gun. I am interested in trying out a sig P250 compact in 9mm ...

Thread: Sig P250 compact 9mm Pros/cons

I now and have been carrying a glock 19, absolutely love the gun.
    I am interested in trying out a sig P250 compact in 9mm also to add to my ccw
    choices for the day. Anyone has feedback or own this gun and can help me make a
    purchase i appreciate your pros and cons, it seems it's priced right for the workin man.
    Thanks, bikerboy
    Always wanted to get another sig, my dad passed me down an old P225 before he passed.
    Since sold it, too heavy for EDC. It was a leos hand me down.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

VIP Member
    I have owned one since they first came out. It is not the smallest compact. It is a little wide. It looks a bit top heavy but is quite well balanced. The grip feels good to the hand. The recoil is minimal. It has 15+1 capacity and extra mags are not too expensive. The DAO is long but smooth all the way through the action. The nitron slide finish is durable. The blued barrel finish begins to show wear after 200-300 rounds. Sig says that is normal. The modular design makes it very fast and easy to field strip. The Siglite NS are bright. The pistol is fairly accurate. The reliability has been questioned. I have had no significant issues with mine and only a couple FTE's that I blame on user error. It is priced right. There are several Kydex holsters available, not as many in leather. I trust the pistol but due to its size I carry a PPS for EDC.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I own two Sig 250s. One is the compact which I originally bought as a 9mm, and have since converted to 45 ACP. The other is a Subcompact 9mm. I like them both very much, but I find that I carry the Sub more often even though there is really not a great deal of difference in size.

From all that I've read, the people who dislike the 250 feel that way because they don't like the trigger. I have been shooting for over 40 years, and shot for many of those years in competition, using revolvers. So, it is only natural that I like the 250's trigger system since it is very much like a double action revolver, except it is the softest and smoothest I've ever shot. I have to say, it is not for everyone. Try the trigger, and if you like it, then buy the gun.

I like the fact that the gun is quite light at only 25 oz. Mine have been 100% reliable, accurate and I really like the fact that they are free from unnecessary controls like safeties etc. I trust my life with them and carry one of them every day in holsters I made myself.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Senior Moderator
    I have a P250 full size .45ACP and a 9mm compact. I have/carry Glocks, Sigs, 1911s, Berettas, H&Ks, and M&Ps. Right now I'm focusing on the P250 9mm compact.

There are two issues with the gun; one is likely to go away, the other won't. Like all newbies by almost every manufacturer, Sig had some early problems with function. The newer productions have a number of improvements in them that addressed various problems with the gun, so most of those problems are residual, i.e. been resolved in newer models, but it's possible to get a gun that was distributed before all the fixes were in. This seems pretty common, I remember when the M&P came out, they were bad about dropping mags during firing. The latest offering from Glock, the gen 4, had so many problems with the G22, that one PD finally traded their G22s back to Glock for gen 4 G17s. When the LA SWAT bought Kimber 1911s, they all had to be returned becasue of problems. What I'm saying is, it is not uncommon at all to see initial problems with new intros.

However the issue that will not go away is the DAO trigger. Some condemn the gun on that alone. I have found that between my two P250s that the stock DAO trigger is as good, if not better, than any revolver trigger. My P250 triggers are as good as my tweaked 686 trigger. The trigger is long, by intent to emulate a revolver DA trigger, but it is lighter and smoother than any stock revolver trigger I've ever shot.

I have shot either Glocks or some kind of DA/SA gun for over ten years but by accident discovered I could shoot a good DAO trigger as well, actually better, than my DA/SA guns. That got me leaning toward DAOs, with revolver-like triggers and I'm perfectly comfortable with them. I find them to be every bit as accurate as any other trigger.

But, coming from a Glock trigger as you will be, may make the P250 DAO feel odd or strange. Some take to it right off; some just can't seem to get the hang of it. I like my P250 9mm compact so much that I just ordered two more mags for it.

My favorite guns right now are my M&Pf 9mm, Glock 19 or 17, and the P250 compact. I shoot them all equally well. Some are reporting that they are pleasantly surprised by how well they can shoot a DAO pistol. That should not be taken to mean that eveyone will feel that way. I'm sure you'll hear from some that just couldn't handle the DAO trigger.

And now, I'm off to shoot two of my favorites, a gen 2 G17 and my fully tricked out M&Pf 9mm - I can't wait to get to the range!!!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Its been a great gun for me so far, i've got about 400 rounds through it so far without one hiccup of any kind. It is a great little piece and it's only a fraction bigger then a Glock 19 or in my case Glock 23 which is what I've been carrying. The trigger is unique with the long trigger pull, but it is the best DAO trigger I've ever shot hands down. Every indication that I can tell is that the accuracy is there with this pistol, I'm shooting good group out to about 15 yards off hand with it. Time will tell how great of a gun it will be when people start putting thousands of rounds threw it like they have the Glocks and such, but IMO after SIG did the mods to fix the problems that had with it in the beginning the reliability is up there with the other P model SIGs. Since I liked the compact model so well I went out and got the SIG P250 2sum to complete the set, so I have two fire control groups and three frame / slide sets to pretty much take of all of my weapons needs from home defense to CC. The only thing I don't like about my setup is the fact that the sub compact has a rounded trigger guard. I kinda wish they would have designed the sub compact the same as the others, but its by no means a show stopper. Once I can get a holster the sub compact will become my EDC with the compact being my winter carry. All and all I think SIG got it right once they worked out the bugs. This gun won't be for everyone due to the DAO trigger, but for someone in the market for a pistol I wouldn't pass it up until you held it and dry fired it a little.

I was just setting up our table at local gun show and was looking at the Sig P250.
    It's a really nice gun but in hand I like my G19 better. Plus reliability on my glock so far has
    been awesome with any ammo. One gun I do like but expensive is the Hk USP 2000, REAL NICE!!!
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
    I was just setting up our table at local gun show and was looking at the Sig P250.
    It's a really nice gun but in hand I like my G19 better. Plus reliability on my glock so far has
    been awesome with any ammo. One gun I do like but expensive is the Hk USP 2000, REAL NICE!!!
    Sure can't fault you on the choice of a Glock; I could become a Glockaholic easily. I lean more toward the G17 than the G19, in fact, I really like my gen 2 G17.

I shot the gen 2 side by side with my tricked out M&P, and for me the Glock ranks higher of the two, not to mention it's a ton cheaper. I should admit that I do have a Ghost Rocket connector in the Glock ($25, 3.5 lb).

It's actually an Hk P2000, not Hk USP 2000. I happen to have two of them that I haven't shot much; one has the LEM trigger and the other the DA/SA. I'm planning to sell both of them (a matter of being 'over-stocked') and I just might make you a good deal on one if you're interested.

I'm having Ghost Inc put in a 3.5 trigger in my G19 tomorrow plus other options.
    Let me know on the H&K's, I was'nt looking to spend H&K price that's why I was cking out
    the P250 and also the PX4 storm by Beretta,it's a bit chunky for ccw though.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Senior Moderator
    I'm having Ghost Inc put in a 3.5 trigger in my G19 tomorrow plus other options.
    Let me know on the H&K's, I was'nt looking to spend H&K price that's why I was cking out
    the P250 and also the PX4 storm by Beretta,it's a bit chunky for ccw though.
    Let me think on it overnight and I'll PM you.

If I was starting all over, I would absolutely have the Sig 250 on my list. As it is, I'm happy with my Glocks.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    If I was starting all over, I would absolutely have the Sig 250 on my list. As it is, I'm happy with my Glocks.
    It's hard to beat a Glock.

Some go to the G26 for EDC but I find the G19 a very comfortable carry gun and I'm
    5'9 170 so it's harder for thin guys to conceal. I carry it in a Slent Thunder IWB by Tucker Gunleather.
    I like his holster so much I ordered an Silent Thunder STX OWB for it also, perfect adj. retention and
    inside is buttery smooth leather,kydex shell. Tangle I'll pass on your HK offer,sticking with my Glock, Thanks!
    Maybe I'll shop for a small 9mm bkup this wkend.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Senior Moderator
    ...Tangle I'll pass on your HK offer,sticking with my Glock, Thanks!
    No problem Biker; have I mentioned it's hard to beat a Glock! Well, maybe an Hk P2000 at the price I'm thinking about asking for mine....

Sponsored Links