Carry or not????

This is a discussion on Carry or not???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Reading Ram's post I was reminded of a story where a poker game was interrupted by an armed intruder bent on taking the pot and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carry or not????

VIP Member
    Reading Ram's post I was reminded of a story where a poker game was interrupted by an armed intruder bent on taking the pot and everything else of value. I don't remember the details but anyone knowing about the game will also know there's money there! Could happen... just sayin'!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

I would say carry, unless your a reeealy sore loser.

VIP Member
    Unless you’re carrying an RPG, this sounds like a job for Thunderwear! Ok, it’s the same as SmartCarry but its damn near impossible to give you away. Still, if you can conceal it without any hugs, arm wraps, etc. I would carry. You’d feel pretty remorseful if there was a home intrusion while you were there. Oh, and lets not forget the whole to and from part (yes, even car to door). That’s the thing with criminals’ aka people. They can be quite imaginative when it comes to being the element of surprise. I can feel your pain. My girlfriend gets annoyed when she sees me strapping heat before leaving for church.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RGC View Post
    I carry where ever it is legal. If my friends wouldn't like it I don't go there. I'm not leaving myself unprotected for anyone.
    Bingo. Since I don't drink, intoxication is never a reason for me to be unarmed either.

Fitch

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Going to a poker game tonight at a buddy's house. Can't decide weather I keep my EDCC on in the house or not?? do I leave it on and stay quiet or ask permission because I respect his house? Do I leave it in the car??
    I carry where legal.

To my way of thinking, the trip to and from a given home is little different than a trip to and from a given business, errand, outing or anything else. It's why I am armed, 'cause you never know when or where criminals are going to see an opportunity and attempt to take it. If I'm going to question each and every destination, then I'm automatically ceasing thinking about the travel to and from such places. Criminals can strike wherever, and the mere fact I'm heading to X, Y or Z place doesn't change the probabilities much.

Depends on your state's requirements to notify and gain permission, and whether you feel you're at risk of being outed. In such situations, I simply carry, but then Oregon doesn't have any such legal requirements. If amongst shooting friends, I might even go with basic OWB and little thought to covering garments, otherwise generally it's IWB or pocket carry and appropriate cover.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Bingo. Since I don't drink, intoxication is never a reason for me to be unarmed either.

Fitch
    I can't help it I like good beer. That said, one beer is enough for me not to carry. It's almost never one beer and bad things can happen too easily. I'm really super anal about firearm safety so I would never take the chance.

Had an incident once at a party once. Someone was carrying, things got crazy. Gun dropped to the floor. Random person picks it up (i should have grabbed it but I tend not to touch someone's firearms without permission) and waves it around. Might be a fun joke with a squirt gun, but...yeah not cool. That pissed me off. First of all why carry when you're planning to get drunk, I mean you know that's what is going to happen there. Second secure your firearm a little better and don't let people tug at your belt if you have it on you. Third, don't stand there like a statue and let someone else who is also intoxicated but also unfamiliar with firearms pick it up. Luckily nothing happened but that's no excuse...words cannot express how I felt about that situation.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

For the most part, I do not keep friends that do not like guns. So, I would carry and not sharry....only one to know would be me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadoo View Post
    All my friends know I carry, and most of them do too. But this situation won't come up for me because I don't play poker or drink alcohol. Now if there was a Bible study at a friends house, I'd be there and carrying too!
    Amen! I'm with you!
    May the name of Christ be exalted in all things,
    Colleene Barnett
    Keeping the Piece: Ladies Only Concealed Carry and Basic Pistol Training
    www.KeepingthePiece.com
    Looking for a clever gift for the lady shooters in your life?
    http://www.zazzle.com/keepingthepiec...51718878453391

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Thanks all! I am packing it. I think I would go through withdrawl without it anyway. I figure the only way he is finding out I have it is if I need it and in that case its all good.
    Or, if the game turns out to be "strip poker".
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Or, if the game turns out to be "strip poker".
    ewww! if that happens with this group of guys I might need it to fight my way out! J/K
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

There was a case here in orlando where a similar situation a poker game at a friends house and it got robbed. Of course none of the victims had a weapon on them bet they wish someone did because all of the cars were stolen as well as everything in the house. It may have been an inside job.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    Me, I would carry. But then I carry 24/7/365, why?
    Because I haven't developed the ability to predict when I will and won't need one.

But I'm working on that.

And on a side note, a friend of mine (who carries 24/7/365) told me that he went to a poker game a couple of months ago. 5 guys playing poker, 4 out of the 5 carrying. The one that wasn't was an off-duty officer.
    He asked my friend why was he carrying, and my friend told him, I always carry don't you?
    Some get it, some don't.
    My dad only carries when he wants to/remembers to put it on.. or depending on what he is doing that day he will live it at home.. drives me nuts.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links