Warming up to my .40

This is a discussion on Warming up to my .40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To recap - A few weeks ago I traded my Glock 26 for a S&W MP40c because I love the M&P ergos of my 45c ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warming up to my .40

Warming up to my .40

To recap - A few weeks ago I traded my Glock 26 for a S&W MP40c because I love the M&P ergos of my 45c so much. My original plan was to trade it for a 9c but I'd never owned a .40 so decided to give it a go. I was not "un-happy" with the.40 but not overly impressed either.

Today I took it back to the range and ran another 100 rounds through. I'm starting to warm up to it. Perceived recoil was less. I assume this was due to just being acclimated to the round more. Accuracy with follow up shots has improved as well. With the shoot-ability now approaching that of the 9mm it's not really a question of capacity. 12+1 rounds of very nasty 147g HST's or 10+1 rounds of slighty more very nasty 180g Federal HST's. Being that the .40 is by and large the most popular LEO choice I think I'll be keeping it and not trying to trade it for the 9c.

On a totally unrelated side note I dropped the guys over at concealable control a e-mail asking if they had any plans to come out with the GAP floor plates for pistols other then the Glock line. I had gap floor plates on my G26 and considered them pretty unneeded but I could definitely see the benefit on a snappier round like the .40. The guy that responded stated that they hoped to have GAP floor plates for the S&W sub compacts and the XD sub compacts on display at the 2012 SHOT show.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    The guy that responded stated that they hoped to have GAP floor plates for the S&W sub compacts and the XD sub compacts on display at the 2012 SHOT show.
    - Was the guy's name Marty McFly?

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Was the guy's name Marty McFly?
    "Jacob, it all depends on how well we do with the Glock line. Our goal is to be at the 2012 "Shot Show" in Las Vegas with at least the Glock models as well as the S&Ws and Springfields. Again thank for you interest, Greg"
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Its good to hear you warming up to it. I've been on the fence with getting my next purchase. I know it will be a Glock. The question is which one. I know this sounds like heresy(to fellow Glock lovers) but I don't have a G19 and I'm not looking for one. My G26 does the job for 9mm just fine. If Glock came out with a comparable size .45 as the 19/23/32 that held more than 6+1, then there would'nt be any hesitation. But my distain for the .40 S&W round has me not really wanting a G23. But, I have been wondering lately if that distain came too early and I didn't give the round enough of a chance to grow on me. I might go your route Rollo and get a G23. If after some time I do find I still can't stand .40, I still have the ability to change it to a .357 SIG. And thats what I would call turning lemons into lemonade.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

I really like the 40S&W for what it is. As for CC, it's what I started with (G27). For me personally, the round doesn't actually 'replace' anything else, and it's not really a compromise for me between anything else (I do 9mm and 45acp as well). It just seems to simply work better for me all around. I'm more accurate with the 40S&W cartridge, and I'm used to the feel with the Glocks of course. When things work well.....no reason to change. We'll leave any brand of pistol out of the mix, and focus on the caliber. When I carry one of my 40S&W pistols, it's a more confident day, and I actually think I'm more relaxed, outgoing, and cheerful with one tucked in. Can't explain really. The 9mm is one for business days, with something on my mind, and tasks to do and get done. The 45acp is more one for the somber days.....the cold, rainy, or snowy days........maybe deep thought days, or days I wish to contemplate life and somewhat unsociable.
    One of these days, I'll narrow things down. Not that I'm actually keeping statistics, but it's what I feel. I also think that what you carry on any given day portrays your mood and your demeanor that can be sensed by others. Not to say your chosen pistol or caliber for the day is like your choice of after shave or cologne (sorry ladies...not sure how that fits in on your end), but when you've been carrying for a while, you'll notice certain things like this. Call it fully integrated, or completely involved. Like I've said many times.......CC should change your life, and in many ways. Once it's all wrapped up into one package, we shouldn't become complacent although it becomes more natural. This is the point when the mind starts to gather more information from the environment as you focus less and less on your unnatural appendage and more on how the outside world views you, and how you react or your demeanor. Carrying a gun shouldn't necessarily mean changing your personality, even thought it demands more responsibility. For what it's worth from my point of view.
    To sum it all up......I think any day with the 40S&W is a good day, a happy day, a smiling day, and a warm feeling day. 40 is a good number for me. Everyone else has to figure things out themselves. I love my 40's!

Have you posted pics of your new MP40c?
    Hope you continue warming up to it. Winter is coming.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

On a totally unrelated side note I dropped the guys over at concealable control a e-mail asking if they had any plans to come out with the GAP floor plates for pistols other then the Glock line. I had gap floor plates on my G26 and considered them pretty unneeded but I could definitely see the benefit on a snappier round like the .40. The guy that responded stated that they hoped to have GAP floor plates for the S&W sub compacts and the XD sub compacts on display at the 2012 SHOT show.
    Sweet! I had a GAP on my G27 and it was a very nice addition.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    Its good to hear you warming up to it. I've been on the fence with getting my next purchase. I know it will be a Glock. The question is which one. I know this sounds like heresy(to fellow Glock lovers) but I don't have a G19 and I'm not looking for one. My G26 does the job for 9mm just fine. If Glock came out with a comparable size .45 as the 19/23/32 that held more than 6+1, then there would'nt be any hesitation. But my distain for the .40 S&W round has me not really wanting a G23. But, I have been wondering lately if that distain came too early and I didn't give the round enough of a chance to grow on me. I might go your route Rollo and get a G23. If after some time I do find I still can't stand .40, I still have the ability to change it to a .357 SIG. And thats what I would call turning lemons into lemonade.
    So....what about the G38 in 45GAP? 8+1.
    I'll apologize in advance if this turns into a brand war. Never my intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    So....what about the G38 in 45GAP? 8+1.
    I'll apologize in advance if this turns into a brand war. Never my intentions.
    You know Ram Rod, I didn't give it much thought. Now there's another pistol on the list of possibilites.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    See! You're figuring out that, compared to the 9mm, the .40 recoil isn't "bad," just "different."

After reading all the posts on .40s and .357 SIGs, when I first fired my son's pistols in both calibers I expected them to leap out of my hands while blowing out my eardrums. Wasn't the case at all. "Snappier" yes; difficult, no. Would I care to fire the G27 regularly? Probably not. But a G23/22? Sure, all day long.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Glad the new weapon/caliber is feeling better to ya, You still thinking about doing the DCAEK trigger system upgrade ?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by rson63 View Post
    Glad the new weapon/caliber is feeling better to ya, You still thinking about doing the DCAEK trigger system upgrade ?
    I'm not going to do the DCAEK as the trigger pull (much like my 45c) has lightened up quite nicely however I may do the RAM kit to lighten up the reset depending on Tangle's report.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Ram Rod, I also have a 9mm Sigma, a 40 XDM and a .45 1911, and I have also noticed that on more somber days I carry my .45, seems reassuring, my .40 is my normal day carry, and my 9 i carried today because I felt more of a drive to go go go
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by rson63 View Post
    Whoa...for a second there, I thought you were getting a DALEK trigger system...

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I never owned a 40 until my ex wife's department sold off some gen3 glocks for a price I couldnt pass on. I reload and have shot 1000's of rounds, warmed up to it quickly. Now there is XDm 3.8 on my hip bout as frequently as my sp101. I dont carry my 1911 45. hardly at all anymore, never would have thunk it.

The .40 caliber

I have seen the .40 caliber come in for a lot of bashing on gun chat threads. For some reason many people don't like it, complaining that it has harsh recoil or is not needed if you have 9mm and .45 ACP. You will also hear scorn for the .40 because it is less energetic than the 10mm.

I got my first .40 about 10 years ago, a second generation Glock 23. I shot it quite a bit, and it sort of grew on me. I thought the accuracy was fine, and I liked the muzzle energy numbers and gelatin test results I saw. It seemed superior to the 9mm in those respects. Later I added a Sig P229 and H&K USP40c to my collection, and they seemed slightly better than the Glock 23. The .40 became one of my standard calibers, and I have shot thousands of rounds of it over the last 10 years. I will carry it frequently in one of these guns, and have confidence in the caliber. My favorite ammo is now the Federal HST .40 in 180 grain bullet weight.

Here is one of my favorite .40 guns:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links