Do you carry on how you feel?

This is a discussion on Do you carry on how you feel? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Saber Itís always nice to have options to blend with your wardrobe, weather and health. Iím already handicapped in that I often ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you carry on how you feel?

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Itís always nice to have options to blend with your wardrobe, weather and health. Iím already handicapped in that I often travel 10-miles to town and I visit the military base. As such, Iím unarmed about 40-percent of the time. Anyway, mood also factors in with me, and I sometimes forgo the task for short walks with the dogs.
    Going onto the military base is such a common occurance in this area that a local gunshop will hold your handgun while you are on the base and you can pick it up when you exit the base.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar

Feelings

As every one esle has already mentioned feelings take no part on the decision of what to carry. Basically the largest and most comfortable gun I can carry. I prefer the Ruger LCR .357 the most. It has the best power to weigh and size ratio, plus 100% reliability. At 1400 fps it is a canon and hard to beat. I also have a Kimber .45 1911 and a Springfield XD 3" in .40. In the summer, 99.99% of the time I wear cargo shorts and T-Shirts, so it is easy to conceal anything during the summer here in FL. Cold weather is also no problem. I use a IWB holster almost at 3 O'Clock.

Sometimes I feel like taking my M-1 Carbine with a 30 round magazine stuffed in it, plus and extra 30 round mag just for fun.

However all kidding aside, sometimes I feel like carrying my S&W 9mm and extra 8 rd mag or the Rossi .38spl and a speed loader. Right now those are the only two carry handguns that I own and I kind of alternate on which one I carry depending on how I feel that day.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Well, I carry two and sometimes three guns so the determining factor on which ones is usually based on what I'm wearing. Also the third gun is usually a Ruger LCP so it's so small and lightweight, it essentially like it's not even there. I don't think my mood has ever been a deciding factor, although what location I'm going to be often is.

I travel a lot for work related issues which often takes me not only to large cities I'm not familiar with, but also in area's of the cities where I know in advance has a higher crime rate. In which case I may opt for one of my SP-101's in .357 mag as a third gun instead of the .380 LCP.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Good mood- G30 Milt sparks holster
    Bad Mood- G30 Milt sparks holster
    Going to work G30 Bag
    Happy - G30 Milt sparks holster
    Sad - G30 Milt sparks holster
    scared -G30 Milt sparks holster (more mags lol)
    nervous- G30 Milt sparks holster
    feelin frisky - G30 Milt sparks holster while locating wife, moving to nightstand after locating wife
    Gonna be a good day feeling - G30 Milt sparks holster

I think I have my bases covered
    Μολὼν λάβε

Quote Originally Posted by zdinnd View Post
    feelin frisky - G30 Milt sparks holster while locating wife, moving to nightstand after locating wife
    What happens when she says "No, dear, I feel frisky too...leave the gun on..."

What do you do at that point?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    My P229 has not left my side except at work (military), and when I'm flying commercial (have to put it in checked bags) since the day I turned 21. Oh, and of course on deployments, I couldn't have the P229 by my side, but then I had an M4 and an M9 with me 24/7
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I would say mood can effect what I carry, but I would say how I'm feeling pain/sick wise would be a larger effect. Generally I'm fairly healthy but I do have back problems from time to time, and that effects my carry mode. If my back is hurting I might be all the way down to a P3AT in my pocket and light and backup mag offside pocket. Granted when my back is hurting I don't usually go out of my way to leave the house, so it's mostly just carrying around the house with that config. I will say if I'm feeling pain or sick and it's not my back I generally load out a little heavier than normal, no good reason just reflects my mood a little bit. I still avoid trouble and respond to things the same way but when I don't feel well I'm not in the mood to deal with a fight but if that's the day it does occur I'm not going to be short guns and ammo. I also figure out what I'm going to be doing that day and what I'm going to wear. The other day the wife and I went hiking, and I decided to carry the Taurus with snakeshot, the 1911 with normal hollow points and because it's so light the PF9 was still in the pocket. So it depends on the task at hand, when I'm doing firewood I tend to carry my 1911 just because I prefer it's accuracy and shootability out of my other carry guns.

Either way there is always a gun on me if it's legal, and usually I have a hard time pairing down to just a single gun so there's usually a BUG somewhere as well. I will say though if you feel only the need to carry a single gun, more power to ya. We all make our own assessment of what we feel is necessary and willing to deal with;)

Take care!

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

VIP Member
    Since I became disabled my carrying habits have changed drastically. I carry based on weight of the gun and my pain level each day. Lately I've only been able to carry my LCP or 642.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for posting the question, its very interesting.
    I find that I do carry on how I feel.
    I carry a 9mm most of the time and switch back and forth between 9MMs to match my mood
    Glock 26
    Springfield EMP9
    KelTec PF9
    S&W CS9 (on me now)
    And if I can,t carry them I will carry a Ruger LCP (.380/9mm short)but I don,t like to step down to it and will
    switch back to a true 9mm as soon as I can.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    What happens when she says "No, dear, I feel frisky too...leave the gun on..."

What do you do at that point?
    Leave the gun on then. Im not going to argue...
    Μολὼν λάβε

I carry the same gun, the same holster day after day. Dress up, dress down. Summer dress, winter dress. All moods included...it's the same gun and holster.

Dress and destination determine what I carry. I choose between 4 guns to find the one I carry at a given time.

i wish i had the option of that, however its the mp45 at all times(since its my only ccw)
    Smith&Wesson M&P45
    Dan Wesson .357

Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    It has come to my attention that how a person feels dictates how and what is carried out the door for CCW.

I'm intrested in what and how folks out there carry when these moods arise.
    (Ram Rod, you opened the door on this one)

When I'm feeeling real loose and free, I usually have my Kel Tec PF9 on my waist at 3 o'clock cause its light. But when I'm feeling a somber wind, the Glock 26 with a G19 mag in it is always by my side.
    I flip a coin sometimes, heads = 1911 and tails = Glock 23. Both work fine, both are accurate and reliable and I shoot both pretty well (although the 1911 trigger is just a step above).
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links