Colt XSE Rail Gun 1911 - Page 2

Colt XSE Rail Gun 1911

This is a discussion on Colt XSE Rail Gun 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by C hawk Glock Haha yes the rail gun does sound like a high tech firearm! For a one hundred year old design ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt XSE Rail Gun 1911

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Haha yes the rail gun does sound like a high tech firearm!
    For a one hundred year old design (patent 984519 filed February 17, 1910 [FIREARM Model 1911 .45 caliber pistol]), it IS high tech.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Okay Boys,

Here are the pics I took of my new Pony! I forgot to mention that the wood in the back ground is Mango, I think it looks cool.

This first one with with my light on the rail. I have to admit that it's so wrong it's right!

Colt Rail Gun Stock

With VZ Grips
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

OD*
    Lookin' good.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    By the way this Colt feels more substantial them my Kimbers from the slide stop and the safety even the slide. Am I just getting caught up in the Colt mystique?

JD
    Administrator
    By the way this Colt feels more substantial them my Kimbers from the slide stop and the safety even the slide. Am I just getting caught up in the Colt mystique?
    No, you're just learning what we've all been saying for yourself.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    No, you're just learning what we've all been saying for yourself.
    I will admit when I am wrong, and I was wrong! You guys told me so! Here is the thing, you never truly know a firearm until you own it and that seems to be the reason why I don't post about firearms I have not owned.

I have never had issues with my Kimbers and they have been great shooters, but why buy a Kimber when you can buy a colt for the same price? I will say that I will have to put a little money into this rig for a couple extras I want, but it's a great starter.

kpw
    Nice pics! Good looking Colt...even with the rail. Some makers rails look better than others. Colt did a nice job.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

GM
    Yes you are . Congrats on the very nice 1911 and welcome to the Pony club .
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

That Colt mystique is a real beast lol. I just recently bought the Colt Rail Gun, and it also happens to be my first pony. It was everything I wanted in a 1911 w/ rail, and its rides oh so well in a Bladetech holster with a TLR2. It shoots better than me, hopefully you enjoy it as much as I do.

-Wizard

VIP Member
    Biker,

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Biker,

Pictures or it didn't happen!
    Sorry, but I don't have a camera at the moment. Next week I will have my camera, and wife, back. I did take the pony out today for a gallop. Here's what I posted on another forum when someone was asking about the Colt Rail Gun:

I have a stainless version, and I'm in the process of breaking it in, so this is not a final conclusion. Please keep that in mind when you consider my opinion.

In it's first outing, today in fact, I had nary a bobble or malfunction using FMJ ammunition. The Colt magazines, which I was expecting to be "Junk City" performed as my Wilson's do, 100%. Next time I go out I'll put more rounds through it before I determine it acceptable for carry. My usual procedure is 500 rounds of FMJ, with intermittant cleanings, and then a clean and lubricated gun for the final 200 rounds with my carry ammunition.

I was pleasantly suprised that it came with a G.I. Guide Rod. I was under the impression that it would have a FLGR that I was ready to yank out and replace. The Finish is good to very good for a production gun. I like the fact that Colt seemed to really pay attention to the ergonomics of the Trigger Guard. It seems they have squared the top portion of the Trigger Guard to enable a light to sit close to your finger. It's not much, and it certainly isn't a squared Trigger Guard, but every millimeter helps in this case.

I didn't run any hollowpoints through it, yet. I'm taking my time and breaking it in slowly, getting used to the new gun. My only complaint is that the Thumb Safety should feel a little more positive. That's a subjective thing, but we like what we like.

The gun is fun to shoot, and the undercut Trigger Guard is also an ergonomic plus that I find lacking on all but the custom or semi-custom guns. The Sights are Novak white dots. I'm not a fan of white dots, but they do work, and can be easily changed. The Trigger is smooth, with no over travel that I can detect. It also has a very positive feeling reset, which I like.

My choices were the Colt Rail Gun and the Springfield MC Operator. Not liking the ILS on the Springfield, although an easy fix, and having had five or six Springfields in the past, I opted to put a new pony in the stable for a change. I'm glad, so far, that I did.

As I continue to break this gun in I will update, but I'm not in a big hurry, so it may take some time. Take care and stay safe.

Biker
    Let me just add that while I have been shooting a long time, I haven't been shooting as much as I should. I've neglected training lately due to family commitments and letting "life" get in the way of putting rounds on target. With that said, I found the Colt to be very accurate, more so than I am and would put the bullets where they were aimed. This was probably the most accurate barrel I've ever shot in an autoloading handgun.

I'll probably take it out again tomorrow, or the next day, for some more rounds down range. The only change I've made, and I made it before I ever fired a round from the gun, is to put a set of Pachmayr grips on. I like the ones with the checkered Front Strap. It's either that or Skateboard Tape on the Front Strap.

Biker

JD
    Administrator
    Biker, take some time and just manipulate the thumb safety, I worked my NHC for about a whole weekend almost to the point of blistering, and it smoothed out considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Biker, take some time and just manipulate the thumb safety, I worked my NHC for about a whole weekend almost to the point of blistering, and it smoothed out considerably.
    Thanks JD, but it's not "positive" feeling. If anything it's too soft.
    I've been manipulating the Thumb Safety a lot, as I've been dry-firing this gun a bunch since I picked it up.

Biker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Sorry, but I don't have a camera at the moment. Next week I will have my camera, and wife, back. I did take the pony out today for a gallop. Here's what I posted on another forum when someone was asking about the Colt Rail Gun:

Let me just add that while I have been shooting a long time, I haven't been shooting as much as I should. I've neglected training lately due to family commitments and letting "life" get in the way of putting rounds on target. With that said, I found the Colt to be very accurate, more so than I am and would put the bullets where they were aimed. This was probably the most accurate barrel I've ever shot in an autoloading handgun.

I'll probably take it out again tomorrow, or the next day, for some more rounds down range. The only change I've made, and I made it before I ever fired a round from the gun, is to put a set of Pachmayr grips on. I like the ones with the checkered Front Strap. It's either that or Skateboard Tape on the Front Strap.

Biker
    Biker,

Here was a small short report, kind of scary how close they are. This was from1911.org

I took her out of the box and clean her and to get the factory gunk out and took her to the range.

I have a theory that if you can't run winchester white box ammo then I don't want to own you. Sure enough I loaded my stock Colt and KimPro mags and started shooting. My slide was smooth as butter and I shot 100 uneventful rounds with no jams or malfunctions of any kind.

This Colt is the first 1911 that I have purchased in the last couple years that was flawless out of the box. You always hear about the 500 round break in period and this was not the case. Frankly I tend to toss factory mags as soon as I get them, but these Colt mags worked well. Is that the norm on the Colt mags?

The Rail Gun was very accurate and shot as well as I could. I have to say that I really love this firearm and I wish I would have bought Colt sooner.

Regards,

C hawk,

I can't complete your screen name, so I guess you need to change it to C hawk Colt.

How's the new pony doing? I wasn't able to take my pony out of the Barn today, but Friday looks good for a few rounds downrange.

Biker

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links