Backpacking Pistol

Backpacking Pistol

This is a discussion on Backpacking Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went backpacking in the Smokies in the spring and will likely be heading back. I was thinking about taking a handgun along. I'm assuming ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Pistol

Backpacking Pistol

I went backpacking in the Smokies in the spring and will likely be heading back. I was thinking about taking a handgun along. I'm assuming a revolver is the way to go. Seems like it couple handle a little dirt and keep running when an auto might stop. I've shot .357's on a number of occasions and can handle them alright. Could honestly use a little practice. Probably since I'm more used to autos.

Anyhow, what handgun might you recommend going into the woods with?
    What caliber?

I saw a GP 100 at the local shop. Seemed like a nice revolver for a decent price.

4" S&W Model 629 in .44 mag.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

That definitely seems like a nice gun. Anything for a little less though?

For the Smokies, I'd say a .357 like the GP-100 or the S&W 686 should be fine, game in the Eastern half of the country tends to be not as tough as the stuff in the Rockies/western half. And you would probably find other uses for a .357 revolver too.

Or, I'd probably stick with my 1911 if I felt like carrying an auto.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Glock 20

My personal "off the pavement" pistol is a 4" K frame Smith in .22lr.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    For the Smokies, I'd say a .357

Or, I'd probably stick with my 1911 if I felt like carrying an auto.
    That 1911 idea seems good since I'm thinking about getting one of those too. Only downside is i need fullsize for woods and compact for carry. Now i have to buy two.

A S&W 19/66 either 2.5" or 4"
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    That 1911 idea seems good since I'm thinking about getting one of those too. Only downside is i need fullsize for woods and compact for carry. Now i have to buy two.
    Find yourself a sub compact middle of the road kind of weapon, good luck in them there hills.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Wow. It's been ages since I made my living in the woods. Then, it was rare that I'd go to the woods on my days off. Seems like I'd have to ask you to assess the threats you might face and build from there. Snakes? Unless you step right on a rattler, they're more scared of you. Bears? Valid consideration. For that, nothing smaller than a 357 with full house loads. But it also begs another question: How far at one time are you going to hike and how deep into the woods? I remember one time when I was a real young (and real stupid) 2LT in the infantry (c'mon you old military guys, PLEASE don't repost with stupid looie? Is there any other kind?) I went out to the deep woods by myself just for the heck of it and walked for three days. Set up a base camp and just hung out before walking back to my car. I loved it. Then I carried a 1911 and 5 full spare mags. So six loaded mags, total. But no cell phone (in 1983?) or even a radio. I did tell some buddies in the 2nd Ranger Bn where I thought I'd be and if I didn't make it back in a week, come find me! I knew they would. My point here is this, if you're walking for a long distance then weight and bulk is going to be an issue. Continue the threat assessment: Bears? Sure. Maybe. Bad guys? Always. Rural crime and especially crime along the Appalachian Trail continues to rise at a rate faster than the cities. Read that somewhere recently. Might have been a law enforcement journal. LEO's around here might be able to confirm that. But bad guys have to be a central consideration. If that's the prime issue then a 9mm is fine. But consider a good combo gun. One that would "do" for both bear and bad guy and thus everything in between. 357 still comes in at or near the top. But so does the 45acp. I wouldn't risk a bruin and a forty, much less a 9mm. While the Ruger GP100 is a fine gun, I submit it's too big in the frame for the use you're thinking of. I'd go with the Ruger SP101, no bigger in a 357.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    Kel Tec 30 shot .22 magnum.

with an extra mag, you have 60 shots.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I got a sig p 226 9mm, and Glock 36. Will be getting M&P 9c and a 1911. Maybe a .357 too.

I have a few that should fit for my needs. The people part comes first. Then animals. I only got about five miles in at most, but it wasn't the most comforting to run into some strange people that far in.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Kel Tec 30 shot .22 magnum.

with an extra mag, you have 60 shots.
    LOL, that's probably my next gun purchase. But I would never venture into the Smokies with that. Black bear attacks have been on the rise in that region recently. Black bears are plenty big enough to kill you and I'll bet they can take all 60 rds from that gun and still kill you dead. The PM 30 is going to be a fun gun but I don't think I'd be thinking of it as a primary defense gun in this or any other situation. Just my .02.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    When I backpack it's a .357 J Frame that goes with me.

The Glock 36 with Corbon 185gr +P DPX would be fine too.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I live in Colorado. So I don't have to worry about anything bigger than a Lion or Black Bear! But if I were farther north in Wyoming or Montana it would be a 44 mag.

I am getting ready to buy a 1911 or an XDM? I was thinking these rounds from Buffalo Bore could be loaded while out in the woods?

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...ct_detail&p=70

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links