Trigger characteristics and what they mean in a SD gun... - Page 2

Trigger characteristics and what they mean in a SD gun...

This is a discussion on Trigger characteristics and what they mean in a SD gun... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great post !!!!...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Trigger characteristics and what they mean in a SD gun...

Great post !!!!

Distinguished Member
    One more Q now that I have re-read it in that context. Are all Glock triggers equivalent in the "out of the box" original configuration? You talk Glock as in the singular. I suppose the competetion models might be different and then there are the NY triggers and all of that but I am just talking about the vanilla run of the mill Glocks.

The reason I ask is that I am wondering if I go Glock for all calibers and sizes of pistols, will they have the same triggers (excluding the competetion models).

Excellent! I appreciate the effort you took to write this, and agree it should be a sticky!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Senior Moderator
    First, again, thanks to all for the kind remarks; it's quite rewarding to think I've posted something that may be of help.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    One more Q now that I have re-read it in that context. Are all Glock triggers equivalent in the "out of the box" original configuration? You talk Glock as in the singular. I suppose the competetion models might be different and then there are the NY triggers and all of that but I am just talking about the vanilla run of the mill Glocks.

The reason I ask is that I am wondering if I go Glock for all calibers and sizes of pistols, will they have the same triggers (excluding the competetion models).
    Cammo girl, you are exactly right. All Glocks are the same out of the box, except as you say, the competition models and that's only the G34 and G35. Both the G34 & 35 have 3.5 lb connectors. All other Glocks, across all calibers and sizes have a 5 lb connector. I believe Glock used to spec the connectors at 5.5 lb, but something makes me think they now spec them as 5 lb connectors.

BTW, that in no way means the trigger pull is 3.5 or 5 lbs. Glock measures trigger pull by pulling from the bottom or tip of the trigger.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

DC Founder
    I also moved a copy of it to the Reference forum here.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Excellent Post! Thank you for the valuable information sir.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Excellent Post! Thank you for the valuable information sir.
    I concur.

OD*
    Sticky.
    marcclarke likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Thumbs up

Great post. Information every shooter needs.
    I use the 5lb connecter and the NY-1 8lb trigger in my defensive Glocks. Being an old double action revolver type of guy I find it fits my shooting style quite well.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Great post. Information every shooter needs.
    I use the 5lb connecter and the NY-1 8lb trigger in my defensive Glocks. Being an old double action revolver type of guy I find it fits my shooting style quite well.
    Seems like, and I'm going from memory here, that Massod Ayoob uses the 3.5 lb connector with the NY-1 trigger - I'm gonna order both setups today and try them.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Trigger pull to me means the difference between a gun you can "hit the target", and a gun that if someone had a hostage with a knife to their throat I feel 100% confident I can put a bullet in their eye or any other effective place like the point of the shoulder. I do not consider a gun that can hit the target to be my personal defense gun. My Beretta model 86 can be cocked for a nice single action pull and will shoot a 4 or 5 inch group at 55 yards. To me the gun and trigger are way more important than the caliber, a .22 that can be shot exactly where you want to within half an inch is perfectly adequate, that's a target pistol and target pistols have nice triggers.

Nice breakdown of the elements, good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Seems like, and I'm going from memory here, that Massod Ayoob uses the 3.5 lb connector with the NY-1 trigger - I'm gonna order both setups today and try them.
    I believe Mas uses the NY1 trigger with the stock 5# connector. I had the 3.5# connector and the NY1 trigger in my Glocks. It was pretty good and I recommended it for a while. I have actually used pretty much every trigger set up that you can think of w/ stock Glock parts and wound up coming full circle to the original set up Gaston put in his design. The stock trigger spring and connector work fine for me. YMMV. I did not spend a significant amount of time shooting revolvers. Those who do, tend to favor the revolver like pull of the 3.5# connector and NY1 trigger.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Nice write-up. Trigger pull has always been something that I have known about through experience, but I have never actually seen it written out this technically and easy to read. It will really make me think about things next time I am at the range.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Your comments about the Glock connector and the Ghost Rocket are spot on.

I fitted a Ghost Rocket 3.5# connector with the overtravel limiting tab to my G21. Like you wrote, that put it on the edge of malfunctioning. In my case, I got 2 light strikes in about 50 rounds. I corresponded with Mr. Ghost himself and he said some people chose to compensate for this possibility with a different firing pin spring. I decided that was too much messing around for my self-defense pistol, so I installed the highly polished regular Ghost 3.5# connector. That and and a competition trigger spring are the extent of my mods to all my Glocks.

I just put the #3.5 rocket in my G32. It took a little fine tuning (installed and removed about 8 times). but it was worth it. I also just installed a ss guide rod and 20lb recoil spring. it helps a lot with the muzzle jump. Another little part i recommend getting is a recoil buffer. it aslo helps with recoil and keeps your slide from wearing against the very front of your frame.
    "I will give you her life.....For your life"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links