Trigger characteristics and what they mean in a SD gun...

This is a discussion on Trigger characteristics and what they mean in a SD gun... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a good post... I just had my M&P's trigger job (TJ) put in today actually... I love the crisp trigger break and the ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Trigger characteristics and what they mean in a SD gun...

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    This is a good post... I just had my M&P's trigger job (TJ) put in today actually... I love the crisp trigger break and the strong reset. I think that it is all up to the user but My M&P's trigger was actually fine with me before the TJ was done. However I have picked up a few M&P's that felt that they should have a TJ done.

I use my gun for SD and Competitive shooting... but just knowing that the trigger "stacking" has been cut way down, and the breaking is much smoother, The reset does click, but in a SD situation I will most likely subconsciously let the trigger over travel to reset. I know this just from experience under stress, those fine motor skills and doing things exactly/perfectly will go out the window. Me releasing my trigger will be a gross motor skill that is over extended.

Stay Safe ~Spec
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

2. Remove Ads

Not too long. Just right. Kudos!

This is great detailed technical information, but as a whole it really reinforces that practice is the key with shooting, as with musical instruments. In the moment that you need it most, your brain, hand, and heart have to connect in such a way that no single one is dominant. Up to the moment of deciding go-no go, your brain had better be in control, but this is really about what happens after that.

That's my take away. Thanks.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

Definitely book marked! There were a lot of terms I 'thought' I knew, but it just goes to show--there's always more to learn. I'm not a huge fan of trigger jobs on my guns--I tend to feel that if you buy a decent gun, the trigger's going to be decent or otherwise you should return it--or more likely, never bought it to start. Initial creep, heaviness of pull (within reason) and a bit of grittiness aren't as of concern to me as an affirmative and not too long a reset between shots is.

Sure I can tell the difference when custom work's been done and how much smoother a high end Sig or HK trigger feels compared to my S&W's and Glocks, but in a self defense situation, a long trigger pull like on my S&W BG380 and to lesser exents on my M&P 40c or Glock 27 isn't likely to slowly me down in the heat of the nano second critical defense scenario, I don't think. Adrenaline is amazing on a first shot in such situations, I've 'heard'--hope I don't have to find out.

If it was competition--my gunsmith totally tricks out his Glocks and I can see how much faster he can empty his and accurately at that---then it'd be worthwhile for me, but honestly, I am no where up to his speed in skills nor experience and a 3 pound trigger's out of my league for now. To each their own...

But like they say--practice, practice, practice!

Great post and it rules out Glocks!

GREAT INFO...That being said, get a Glock and drop in a Ghost Rocket trigger @ 3.5 lbs and forget about it. You'll never look back.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
    GREAT INFO...That being said, get a Glock and drop in a Ghost Rocket trigger @ 3.5 lbs and forget about it. You'll never look back.
    While I wouldn't argue with that, Rocket Glocks are not for everyone. Some don't even like Glocks, some are paranoid about having anything but a completely stock gun for SD - I presume they believe mass production is as good as it can get, and some can't abide a hair trigger in a SD gun.

I have all my Glocks set up with a Ghost Rocket and am slowly converting them to Rockets with a Dave Spaulding cut.

Although, for those that are a bit squeamish about the 3.5# connector, I'm about to install a Ghost Tactical in a G17 G4. The Tactical is a 5# connector with the over-travel tab. I think it will be a significant improvement over stock.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

New to web site might I agree but not being mechanicly blessed I have Actions by T do my triggers an action jobs, they feel like butter sp101 2.5 and a S&W airweight an a Browning High Power have had a few work on guns over the years but none better

Since most guys who suffer a real gunfight say that they can't remember seeing their sights, I would say that "subconscious" feel of any sort of trigger action is most unlikely to be noted by your brain. :-) Realistically, the shooting, if you need to fire at all, is almost always sub-5 yds nothing about the trigger pull matters very much, you are still highly likely to miss the vitals, perhaps repeatedly, due to a variety of factors, over most of which you have no control. Like the lighting, enemy movement, your already being hurt, distractions (noise, flashing lights, innocents in the way).
    USM1976 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sifting View Post
    Since most guys who suffer a real gunfight say that they can't remember seeing their sights, I would say that "subconscious" feel of any sort of trigger action is most unlikely to be noted by your brain. :-) Realistically, the shooting, if you need to fire at all, is almost always sub-5 yds nothing about the trigger pull matters very much, you are still highly likely to miss the vitals, perhaps repeatedly, due to a variety of factors, over most of which you have no control. Like the lighting, enemy movement, your already being hurt, distractions (noise, flashing lights, innocents in the way).

In 1985 I was involved in a gunfight. At the time I carried a S&W Model 57 (.41 magnum). After the dust had settled, I had to go to our firearms lab. to have the gun test fired for bullet comparsion. The lab. guys fired three bullets (from my carry ammunition) and tested the double action and single action trugger pulls. The double action was 12 lbs. !!! Yep, 12 pounds from the factory...guess what ? I never felt the gun discharge during the confrontation....12 pounds is nothing when you life is in the balance. So, I feel the comments about "gritty" trigger pulls are nothing to be concerned about unless you like shooting targets.

Yes, I agree with your comment, "Realistically, the shooting, if you need to fire at all, is almost always sub-5 yds nothing about the trigger pull matters very much,..."
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sifting View Post
    Well, kinda. Whether we realize there was recoil or not, not being aware of it doesn't mean it didn't have an effect. It has long been claimed that person's in a gunfight don't remember seeing their sights, that doesn't mean they didn't, it simply means they don't remember.

They are also asked how many times they fired their weapon and they rarely know...that doesn't mean they didn't fire their weapon. They are asked if they realized there were two other officers firing, and they are often not aware of that, but it still happened.

We have to be careful that we don't mistake the power of the subconscious performance, it is much faster than conscious performance. Take a concert pianist, there's know way they can play some of the notes at the speeds they do and form the chords as fast as they do at the conscious level.
    OD* likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    In 1985 I was involved in a gunfight. At the time I carried a S&W Model 57 (.41 magnum). After the dust had settled, I had to go to our firearms lab. to have the gun test fired for bullet comparsion. The lab. guys fired three bullets (from my carry ammunition) and tested the double action and single action trugger pulls. The double action was 12 lbs. !!! Yep, 12 pounds from the factory...guess what ? I never felt the gun discharge during the confrontation....12 pounds is nothing when you life is in the balance. So, I feel the comments about "gritty" trigger pulls are nothing to be concerned about unless you like shooting targets.

Yes, I agree with your comment, "Realistically, the shooting, if you need to fire at all, is almost always sub-5 yds nothing about the trigger pull matters very much,..."
    The implication here is that we would always be just as well off with a heavier, gritty trigger as a smooth lighter one base on one single experience.

Others that shoot a lot and have a lot of knowledge about gunfights, promote lighter, smoother triggers. E.g. The ATF asked Glock to put lighter triggers in their duty guns. An FBI study showed that trigger pulls heavier than 5.5 lbs is detrimental to accuracy. I doubt they're concerned about paper targets.

Ken Hackathorn endorses the Glock Trigger Guardian kit for duty and carry guns and the kit has highly polished all Glock OEM parts including the minus connector which we now know is a 4.5 lb connector.

Dave Spaulding says, well here, hear for yourself - enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    The implication here is that we would always be just as well off with a heavier, gritty trigger as a smooth lighter one base on one single experience.

Others that shoot a lot and have a lot of knowledge about gunfights, promote lighter, smoother triggers. E.g. The ATF asked Glock to put lighter triggers in their duty guns. An FBI study showed that trigger pulls heavier than 5.5 lbs is detrimental to accuracy. I doubt they're concerned about paper targets.

Ken Hackathorn endorses the Glock Trigger Guardian kit for duty and carry guns and the kit has highly polished all Glock OEM parts including the minus connector which we now know is a 4.5 lb connector.

Dave Spaulding says, well here, hear for yourself - enjoy

I imply nothing...I'm stating I don't believe the average person (police officers and guns are rather average to below average) will be able to recall how difficult it might be to pull through their "gritty" triggers. Heck, go ask officers or people who are involved in shootings with several officers and you'll get different versions of the fight...each sees, feels, smells, hears, and tocuhes things differently.

I don't read other thing about other's gunfights because it will only serve to add information to my head I don't feel I need. Absolutely nothing is predictable about a shooting.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    I like a trigger that doesn't argue.
    OD* likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Great post. I'm going to start another thread in relation but I'm going to make it a separate thread so we can get different questions and opinions regarding the subject of trigger importance.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links