SigP238 break-in period

SigP238 break-in period

This is a discussion on SigP238 break-in period within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I never had to have a "break in period" for my XDs -- they've shot reliably out of the box. But we put 62 rounds ...

Thread: SigP238 break-in period

SigP238 break-in period

I never had to have a "break in period" for my XDs -- they've shot reliably out of the box. But we put 62 rounds of Remington SureShot through the Sig last night and about 10% had a failure to fire. Looked at cases that had worked and those that didn't work and the guy at the gun shop said the failures weren't light strikes -- which seemed right. He said the primer was possibly "hard" and I should try other kinds of ammo to see what works best. Finally he said to give it at least 500 rounds of "break in" before deciding its defective. So I've got Federal, HPR and Remingon UMC to try. Do you think he was right? Does it need a break in period? My Sig522 rifle took about 75 rounds before it was reliable, and then everything was okay. Maybe the same with this... ('Scuse my ignorance...)

JD
    Administrator
    A break in? Probably not, but a good test of a couple hundred rounds is a good idea. My first Sig 238 was very problematic, but I did not have and failures to fire. One should try using multiple ammunition types to ensure it is not an ammunition problem before sending it back in.

Thanks, JD.

Ok... I have been meaning to post some notes about the Sig P238 after having carried it for a year.

- The Sig P238 being a semi-auto does need some break in, as would any machine with moving parts. I believe that this weapon comes a little tight and loosens up over time. I got some wear on the front quarter inch of the frame slide and on the outside of the barrel where it slides through the front end of the slide. Ok, that's where the grease should go.

- I believe that this gun is sensitive to bullet path travel clearance as rounds are loaded from the magazine. I have a theory that rounds with tapered bullets feed better than regular round nose ball. So, I now carry tapered cone bullets. I find Bitterroot Valley flat nose and hollow point to be optimal in cost and performance. That's just me, not some scientific thing.

- The magazine is absolutely critical to performance of this gun. Some mags have been put out with not the best follower. The thing about the Sig is that it is so fun to shoot that I tend to put a lot of rounds through it. So, yes I may get a failure to feed after a hundred rounds from all the powder residue. A fun gun needs to get clean. However, you don't think much about cleaning the magazine. After six months take the mag apart and clean it out, not easy, in fact it's kind of a *****. So, use a second mag while messing with the dirty one.

- The slide lock, on the inside, where the mag follower catches it - I find that this is a possible candidate for resistance to cartridge travel. This is where i believe that round nose bullets make contact. And tapered bullets get by a little easier.

- For God's sake, polish the feed ramp. I don't know why Sig didn't put a mirror finish on the feed ramp. At the very least use a round nose brass bullet to burnish the feed ramp while your are watching tv.

And lastly, a little design error where the feed ramp slams into the magazine during operation. Some of us have gotten a little nick that develops on the lower right edge of the feed ramp. Personally, I don't believe that this interferes with the operation of the gun except before the nick is developed, there may be a loss of slide travel of about 1/32 of an inch.

Have fun.

Sixplus1 -- thanks for taking the time for such detailed reply! Excellent information and much appreciated as we try to see if this will work as the wife's carry gun.

It's interesting to see the different perspectives on "break in". I'm guessing it's highly design dependent, and maybe dependent on how heavy the manufacturer went on the grease when they put the new firearm together. I don't know if many of the Glocks or xd's require really any break in, and they seem to shoot whatever you feed them (within reason). Other firearms seem to act differently. Being a newbie on the firearm scene, I'm just now learning about all the variability between manufacturers and ammo.

And I've also got different opinions flying at me. Some say the colt mustang magazine works just fine with the P238. Others say "not so much".

All this info is greatly appreciated.

Thx.

My breakin lasted one magazine. On about the third round I noticed the slide returning kinda slowly. Gun wouldn't fire. The slide was about 1/8" from fully forward. I tapped it and it fired, I could never repeat the failure. Every round fired.
    I love the little Sig, I feel bad for the guys who have problems, because it should be a fun gun to shoot. Low recoil, good sights, easy slide to rack, fits in a pocket, looks good.

Thanks for the info on this guys, I want one so bad. I have some arthritis in my hands and this one racks so easy. I'm new to the shooting world, but have learned quickly that there is no perfect mouse gun. They all seem to have their problems. I had a DB 380 for about two weeks before I sold it, the fellow who bought it shot about a hundred rounds before the trigger broke and he had to ship it back to factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    My breakin lasted one magazine. On about the third round I noticed the slide returning kinda slowly. Gun wouldn't fire. The slide was about 1/8" from fully forward. I tapped it and it fired, I could never repeat the failure. Every round fired.
    I love the little Sig, I feel bad for the guys who have problems, because it should be a fun gun to shoot. Low recoil, good sights, easy slide to rack, fits in a pocket, looks good.
    I got this one for the wife and she loves it, even though it's not quite reliable yet (even after 24 years together, I'm not quite yet reliable [faithful-yes, reliable-....], but she still puts up with me!). She's able to rack the slide on the Sig P238 and the recoil is something she can manage. The Sig fits well in her hand, though she wishes it was a little less boxy. She's a dead-on shot with both it and the Walther P22 (which is also a really fun gun to shoot), but I wanted her to have something with a little more punch to it, particularly if she's going to get a CHL. Of course, you can't qualify for a CHL with a 22 anyway.

Thanks again for the feedback. Great community!

It just occurred to me how a relationship could be enhanced by shooting together! And then a nice evening in front of the fireplace sipping Merlot... cleaning your guns! My wife won't shoot, but my grandkids love it.

My daughter liked this gun and so did my 13 year old grandson.

I think the Sig P238 also tends to have loose screws on the handle grips. I gave those little screws the loctite treatment.

There used to be chat about carrying cocked and locked. I carry in my pocket with the hammer up and safety on. After a year of shooting, I am well drilled on dropping the safety and then the hammer to shoot. I don't know if a lady could handle that sequence, but it takes some practice.

Snap Caps are very useful for any new weapon to practice cycling rounds.

This gun likes a firm grip. Limp wrist shooting can cause feeding-ejecting problems.

My wife just put 150 more rounds through it today -- her first time going solo to the range. I gave her a box of Remington UMC, HPR and American Eagle (Federal). She went through all 150 rounds, had lots of fun and then we went through cleaning it this evening. Unlike the first 62 rounds of Remington "Shur Shot" we fired, there were "only" 3 failure to fire's. One had the smallest of dents in it. The other two looked like the striker didn't even hit it. We'll have to track this closely to see if there are any actual mechanical problems her that need fixing. I wasn't there so I don't really know exactly what happened. She reported some problems with the flat nosed HPRs to feed correctly. And I think she liked the American Eagle (Federal) ammo the best. Haven't tried hollow points yet.

Thanks to all for relating their experiences.

I bet that if your wife had been shooting an lcp or keltec, she would not have fired 150 rounds. That is quite a shootout.

Sponsored Links