Browning Hi-Power

Browning Hi-Power

This is a discussion on Browning Hi-Power within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I shot a Argentina made Hi-Power yesterday. My first time shooting any HP. I must say I was impressed. I liked everything about it except ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning Hi-Power

Browning Hi-Power

I shot a Argentina made Hi-Power yesterday. My first time shooting any HP. I must say I was impressed. I liked everything about it except for the safety; I didn't care for the way it slid down instead of clicking into place like a 1911 safety. I know next to nothing about hi-powers, only that they are pretty expensive and probably the best 9mm you can get. I've also read that they have problems shooting hollowpoints. I'd like to get a Hi-Power sometime in the future and I'm wondering what model I should get and what would be a good price to pay? Anything I should specifically avoid? A while ago I was looking into getting a FEG HP clone, but I passed it up. Does anyone carry a HP as their primary carry?

Thanks

Hello Mattwestm, welcome to the forum. I bought an inexpensive Hi-Power clone from Charles Daly. I purchased an ambidextrous safety because I am a lefty and that pistol came with a single side safety. Well it is a great pistol. The safety clicks into place, on and off. I liked it so much I saved up and bought a Browning Hi-Power. This model a Mark III comes with an ambidextrous safety. It is excellent and has a very positive on and off. You are so right about the BHP being the best 9mm. I have several great 9mm pistols, but my favorite is the Hi-Power! You may already be hooked, it only took a few magazines through a friends and I had to have my own.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

GM
    I carry a BHP and I truly love that gun! It feeds whatever, it is accurate and a joy to shoot (and IMO it looks very good too ). I have heard that older BHP’s have feeding problems with hollow point ammo, but I cannot tell if that is true or not; mine is from last year and it really likes hollow points.
    About the price; you get what you pay for. Considering the firearm you get I do not think that the BHP is pretty expensive; you can get a NIB Standard 13 rounds with adjustable sights for $800 - $900. IMO you can hardly find a better 9mm than the BHP.
    Last edited by GM; November 15th, 2010 at 09:10 AM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

It's been my experience that modern Mk III High Powers feed hollow points without issues. They also come with a positive feeling safety that is ambidextrious. Look at my avatar, that's a Practical, probably the finest High Power FNH ever produced for daily carry. Of course that's just one person's opinion.

Oh, BTW, you can get them in .40 S&W.

Biker

As the lawyers would say, "disabuse yourself of the notion" of picking up the Hi-Power clones. The Argentine, FEG, others - all lack the quality of materials and assembly that are found in the 'real' Hi-Power. Although my budget is nil for now, I've been following HPs on the auction sites and within the past month, I've seen two nice ones sell for $500-600. $700 and up is more typical for gently-used HPs and the rare NIB example. But if you are patient and a good shopper, you may come across some very reasonably-priced HPs before too long.

While it's true that the older Hi-Powers did not feed hollowpoints reliably, to the best of my knowledge since at least the time the HPs have been assembled in Portugal they handle (most) hollowpoints just fine.

There is a whole 'mystique' to Hi-Powers and their collectability, and you really owe it to yourself to do some research before spending hard-earned money. Here's link to get you started: http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    It's been my experience that modern Mk III High Powers feed hollow points without issues. They also come with a positive feeling safety that is ambidextrious. Look at my avatar, that's a Practical, probably the finest High Power FNH ever produced for daily carry. Of course that's just one person's opinion.

Oh, BTW, you can get them in .40 S&W.

Biker
    Your BHP is a real beauty!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I REALLY want a BHP right now. I've spent some time shooting a buddies and just fell in love.

If you get one which has feeding issues, a competent gunsmith like Bill Laughridge of Cylinder & Slide will make it feed anything for you with a good throat & polish job. The BHP is one of those fine pistols which deserves to have the work put in for tuning it, if necessary. I hope to own one myself, one day!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Cool

Back in the 1970's I had Hi Powers and 1911's but sold them off in the 1980's as I was not carrying them as much as the Glolcks. I recently bought a 1964 T Series Hi Power and because it has the hump feed ramp I shoot only FMJ or Federal 9-BP (not BPLE) hollowpoints in it with no problems. The newer Series MK II and MK III are made to shoot just about any hollow points with no problems. I purchased a Cylinder and Slide single extended safety and Novak sights and had them installed and it makes my old girl up to date for a defensive carry gun.

I think you might find thid site of interest.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/HiPowerComments.html
    Last edited by Old School; November 15th, 2010 at 04:03 PM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

The BHP is the most natural feeling handgun in my hands I have ever felt, save the Kahr P9. I feel that if JMB had lived to see it produced, it would have been his finest work. We would be hailing the P35 as much as we do the famed 1911. You do need to stick with the original. I will have a HP in my arsenal someday.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The BHP is one of the most brilliantly designed and beautiful pistols ever made, IMO.

Here is a picture of a 1968 T Series which I inherited from my Dad. He had a pretty large collection of firearms but this was his favorite pistol.

I absolutely treasure it!

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Being a devout 45acp/1911 guy, it took a lot to sell me on the 9mm cartrige.....this matte hard chrome Hi Power did just that. I have over 3000 rounds through it and it will feed anything I can stuff in the magazines. I shoot and carry it almost as much a s my prized Wilson Combat Professional.

The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

ntg
    very sweet tex! I really want one...someday.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Quote Originally Posted by tex45acp View Post
    Being a devout 45acp/1911 guy, it took a lot to sell me on the 9mm cartrige.....this matte hard chrome Hi Power did just that. I have over 3000 rounds through it and it will feed anything I can stuff in the magazines. I shoot and carry it almost as much a s my prized Wilson Combat Professional.
    Gorgeous! Gun leather by Gibson, or...?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

jyo
    Just shot my 1978 P35 yesterday---just right---as always!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links